AuthorTopic: Braking News  (Read 948 times)

Offline rustprooflandyracer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Braking News
« on: April 30, 2006, 19:48:36 »
Reports just in that I will be changing a wheel cylinder tomorrow, recent evidence seems to suggest un even braking, with a definate pull to the right and leaking oil from the bottom of the drum. Many individuals say this task is riddled with trickyness with the added factor of bleeding the brakes prooving hard. If you wish to provide any information on this topic please leave a message below. Your time is appreciated.

If you didn't understand that  :? is there any tips etc to changing a wheel cylinder.

Cheers Matt
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

muddy_90

Braking News
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 19:56:27 »
they only problem i had chaging mine was the nuts wouldnt come undone so i broke the nut in half using a hammer and chisle

Matt

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Braking News
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 23:09:24 »
As said the main problem is the pipe to the cylinder, the rest is pretty straight forward, usually I get shoes and an adjuster kit, just in case the one on the thing is had it too. Also have a look at the drum, for wear

They bleed up fairly good, if you have an ezi bleed kit makes it easier but on a series normally no probs
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
Braking News
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 01:15:02 »
i have found those pressure brake bleeding kits very useful for 'the antichrist'

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Braking News
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 20:51:23 »
I never had a problem bleeding Series brakes apart from once I had a brand-new master cylinder which turned out to be faulty, the supplier replaced it and everything was ok. Having said that, I may have just been lucky (I hesitate to say it was just pure skill!) but cannot recomend the Ezibleed highly enough. I bought one a few years ago (after my Series ownership had ended) and it makes a 2-person job a very quick 1-person job (can bleed my 90 in 10-minutes).
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline rustprooflandyracer

Attack Member
Braking News
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 21:17:39 »
well after wasting a whole day and actually completing nothing i had set out to do... seems like the non genuines have a slightly different design so that when you connect the break pipes up the flared end doesn't rest in them properly so you cannot get a tight fit. So it now leaks from the back of the wheel cylinder now.

So going to have to fight to get the drum off again and obviously on again and replace the pipes in which the union nut have been rounded off trying to get them to stop leaking and buy some better wheel cylinders and try again.

Been a funny old weekend really after buying my new tyres and wheels I cannot get the spare on the back door any more because the wheel and tyre is to big, so will have to over come that problem and near side rear wheel bearing is rattling around so another job to do and get some tax on it again! rather expensive 3 days.

Cheers Matt
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Braking News
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 22:52:33 »
Erm you aren't (shouldn't be) working with imperial and metric threads are you?
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal