AuthorTopic: diff oil seals  (Read 552 times)

Offline ade666

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
diff oil seals
« on: April 29, 2006, 15:12:03 »
hi all. well both front and rear diffs are leaking oil around the prop flanges. i can see that the front is fairly straight forward but are there any secrets to getting the centre peg off the rear. i've had the prop off so no problems there but my rave cd says i need a special tool.  any help much appreciated.
"matilda" disco 300 tdi, blue, x9 special edtion, alisport intercooler and turbo upgrade, tomcat external cage, ome lift.

"ermintrude" disco 300tdi auto es

Offline BeJay

Attack Member
diff oil seals
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 20:17:03 »
Hi Ade,
.......check out the "photo's of a problem - help please" thread on this page it should help. http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=22768  especially the post from Chris, and click on his link.....see here of course.

......Cheers, B.J.

nil illigitimus carborundum

ChrisW

diff oil seals
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 20:30:05 »
I think there is ways and means around it Ade - not sure myself as I've only had this seal replaced at a workshop (we ended up breaking the special tool trying to get the pin out). I think the tool is to ensure the pin is centred correctly although it was some time ago and the mists of time have greyed it out a little  :wink:
The link from B.J. on the workshop button above (see drivetrain repairs) shows how to replace the seal on a diff with a 'traditional' four bolt prop-shaft flange not the three bolt on the later Disco - this however should be fine for a how-to guide on doing your front seal.

Hopefully someone will know a work-around for the rear seal and will post soon...

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
diff oil seals
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:50:05 »
special tool, hmmmmm.  Bolt, thick washer, bit of old exhaust pipe I think.  If it won't budge heat the 3 leg spider up a little.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal