AuthorTopic: Sad sad sad sad sad sad sad .... *sigh*  (Read 13273 times)

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
  • Referrals: 0
Sad sad sad sad sad sad sad .... *sigh*
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 22:42:38 »
So Thrasher thinks its sad to have a replica motor-well the word Elitist springs to mind along with Snob   etc , I think your the sad one for being upset about it in the first place, who gives a toss -only youM8,
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline discograham

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 23:06:39 »
Now pardon me for pointing out the obvious here, but isnt the idea that we all like our landy's REGARDLESS of what badge they may sport or which model,engine or whatever mods weve done or not ? I cant see the harm in a false badge...  I take the point on elitism... but cant comment as I dont personally know the person to whom the comment was aimed... still...it IS a nice rangie...
*The grave of Karl Marx is just another communist plot*
*Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination*
*Last Tuesdays meeting of the apathy society has just been cancelled*

HORNET
Disco 300tdi ES, Rebel steering guard, QT diff guards, QT cones, Pro-comp ES9000 shocks, 2" lift, Extended stops,  Safari snorkel, 33/12.50/15 Khumo's, Greenway light bar, Rock and tree sliders, nice new door seals and an empty wallet.

MKMC

www.crag-uk.org

www.northants-green-lane.co.uk

www.northants4x4.com

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 23:35:24 »
I own THE BEST LANDY in the world......

I'm sure we all feel that way......  Are we all elitist :wink:
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 23:58:16 »
If someone wants to stick some badges on their Landy and kid on it's something else then why should anyone be bothered ?
Move on Thrasher - it's really not that important
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline discograham

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 00:14:02 »
I think it would be a giggle sticking an sc badge on the back of my v8 cosworth disco :lol: ... as if some corsa driving [ed: naughty] with his BIG music and BIGGER exhaust pipe would know the difference anyway.. but you just know they'd be wondering.... :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
*The grave of Karl Marx is just another communist plot*
*Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination*
*Last Tuesdays meeting of the apathy society has just been cancelled*

HORNET
Disco 300tdi ES, Rebel steering guard, QT diff guards, QT cones, Pro-comp ES9000 shocks, 2" lift, Extended stops,  Safari snorkel, 33/12.50/15 Khumo's, Greenway light bar, Rock and tree sliders, nice new door seals and an empty wallet.

MKMC

www.crag-uk.org

www.northants-green-lane.co.uk

www.northants4x4.com

Offline poorman

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 01:25:06 »
Now now jw we all know that I now own the ultimate vehicle :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
get well soon!!!!!!!

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 06:44:28 »
Interesting. I'm not sure it's snobery or elitism. I think it's STUPID. Why put a petrol badge on a diesel? At least Tigger has it the right way round <grin>

It's interesting that nobody ever seems to think that the trim pieces on the lower model look good and swap it onto their higher model.

Note in order to get an older model TD6 to look like an 06 SC - it costs around 3-5k ..... we are not talking just sticking a badge on :rolleyes:
--
Neil

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 07:53:59 »
I have the black and silver badges on my disco, i lost the front badge and looked on ebay and to be honest the black silver looked better than the green with the wierd colour scheme i have. 10 quid for genuine front and rear was a bargain.
 As i have a 92 v8 disco im not trying to pretend or fool anyone...does that make me sad. Oh and mine CAN go nearly anywhere which IMHO is what LR's are all about...not being Chealsea tractors :wink:
sorry couldnt help that one :lol:
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 08:06:37 »
I think we are getting confused here - I don't give a toss if anyone has the black badges - after all - the ORIGINAL badges were black!!!

What I am baffled about is having the word "supercharged" stuck on the back of a TD6.....(oh and the cost it must have taken to revise the vehicle to make it look like something it isn't)

Speaking of going anywhere - apart from the obvious scratches - what makes you think the RR can't? I was *extremely* impressed by my previous silver one - it did stuff that my Discovery grounded it's nose on etc.
--
Neil

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 08:22:25 »
I must say i was very impressed with the disco 3 at Billing last year, did some things that i certainly wouldn't fancy(stopping on hills). The reason that they work off road is the electronics. By the time us mere mortals can afford to use one offroad they wont work...Lr have already had some issues.
 Love the car dont get me wrong , quite jealous really...but, I was involved in a charity thing at the weekend where women got a chance to drive various vehicles.We were running the 4x4 section. Several got in and straight away were on about people using 4x4 for around town and how bad it was. Nobody had a pop at me for owning my disco despite it being a fuel guzzeling monster, just goes to show Joe publics impression of modern 4x4's.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline NiceBlueWellies

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 09:36:08 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
"supercharged" (oh and the cost it must have taken to revise the vehicle)

Everyone has got it confused - they are telling you it did cost a lot of money, hence they were "supercharged". That is why it is on the vehicle  :lol:
Jules

Have wellies, get muddy ;-)

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 11:41:29 »
Neil

You've really done it now , Jimbob has said that he will give you a race on the road in his Subaru impreza turbo and then challenge you to a mudfest against his 90 off road and will (I think this is how you spell it) "...wopp your a**e there as well"  :shock:

I requested that he checks all his badges to ensure that they are all authentic and represent the real thing.  :wink:
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 11:52:47 »
Fight Fight Fight :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 11:56:01 »
Quote from: "davidlandy"
Neil

You've really done it now , Jimbob has said that he will give you a race on the road in his Subaru impreza turbo and then challenge you to a mudfest against his 90 off road and will (I think this is how you spell it) "...wopp your a**e there as well"  :shock:

I requested that he checks all his badges to ensure that they are all authentic and represent the real thing.  :wink:

Sounds good, I'll get him on a rally track and show him why Audi got banned from WRC :) Just complete the parcel as it were  ;)

Thats the Subaru, not Bagheera. Some of the things I've one on track would result in a bend with a trail of 4x4 parts then a few hundred yards away, a seriously dead looking 4x4 :)

The rmeark about the chavs I can relate to as well. the Audi is just marked up as 'Audi 90' Its when I rev the engine the chavs start to realise they may have bitten off more than they can chew. Like a V8, 5Cyl turbo has a unique sound :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 12:01:53 »
those 5 cylinder engines do sound nice dont they  :D  

even the mediocre 5 cyl volvos sound nice...let alone in a performance Audi!

I dont think Jimbobs motor is rally prepared one  - its a tad low.  but on a normal tarmac track he will give you a run for your money. If I was a betting person I wouldn't place want to place any money on the Audi (but then I dont know the spec).  

:wink:

Mud club track day may be in order

I shall prepare my TDI passat!!!!!
Dave

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 12:06:15 »
I'll race the Imprezza if it adds in weight to bring it up to 2.8 tons - let's make it fair huh?

And I'll only play against the 90 if it's stripped to standard and wearing road tyres :-) Oh and if there's no nasty scratchy stuff nearby :-)

*PLEASE NOTE I DO NOT CONDONE ROAD RACING*

So...jokes over :-)
--
Neil

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2006, 12:38:36 »
*PLEASE NOTE I DO NOT CONDONE ROAD RACING*
I wonder when the next track day is at Donnington?
that would be fun.
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 13:18:07 »
Quote from: "davidlandy"
those 5 cylinder engines do sound nice dont they  :D  

If I was a betting person I wouldn't place want to place any money on the Audi (but then I dont know the spec).  

:wink:

Mud club track day may be in order

I shall prepare my TDI passat!!!!!

Its had two STi's already :)
2.5lt KE Jetronic, Luminition ECU remapped bu Audi Autosport, Ports exhaust also Audi specced for performance, not for noise like most. Garatt T34 turbo. Basically Imagine an RS2 without the bodywork :) Oh, and except the Exhaust/turbo, it came like that from the dealer 16 years ago badged as an Audi 80.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Mace

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2006, 13:27:53 »
I'll race the Imprezza if it adds in weight to bring it up to 2.8 tons - let's make it fair huh?

It would only be fair if the power - weight ratio was the same. Not weight - weight !!

As for sticking badges on vehicles, how does your arguement against this differ from those who argue with you over your right to drive a gas-guzzler when you don't really need one? Freedom of choice is what you preach, why can't someone else have that freedom too? Pretending to be something else and spending several thousand pound in the process is entirely up to them, it just so happens you don't agree. Fair enough, but you get very defensive when someone questions your freedom of choice. Leave it alone Neil, it's not important  :D
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2006, 13:35:39 »
This is ace. I can't understand why people pretend they have something they haven't and I get branded all sorts of things!!! Anyone here tempted to rip off their TDi badges and stick on V8 ones? Nope ... thought not.

Mace...bit baffled - freedom of choice is fine. Why LIE about something tho? Oddness. If I tried it on with the tax man I'm sure he'd beleive me if I badged all my V8's as TDi's.....

Maybe I'm interdimensionally challenged.

So.....YOU LOT can log on to Carbage on the Top Gear site and NOT LAUGH at the sad attempts at pretending to be something their not. I however, can laugh  :roll:

P.S. Dave - just to make Mr Mace happy - what is the BHP and Torque of the Imprezza we are talking about - just do I can adjust the weighting a tadge.....

*EDIT* Just founf this :

Subaru Impreza WRX sedan - H4 2.5L DOHC turbo (230 hp) 4A + ABS  0 -60 6.55seconds

Some .5 of a second faster than mine.... and it's a damn sight lighter...at 3192lbs versus the Range Rover at 6724lbs.....

Assuming we just divide the weight by the BHP :

Subaru - 13.88
Range Rover - 16.98

Not actually sure what that means :-)
--
Neil

Offline Mace

Attack Member
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2006, 14:05:41 »
Ok this is funny. I'll put me money where my mouth is....

Power to weight ratios: (what car figures)

Imprezza  227 bhp - 1410kg = 1:5.2
Range R SC 400 bhp - 2483kg = 1:5.2
Imprezza 236 lbft - 1410kg = 1:4.9
Range R SC 420 lbft - 2483kg = 1:4.9

Spooky eh? Hey I'm not that sure of my maths tho'  :lol: <editted several times>

No handicap required  :lol:  :lol:

Mace...bit baffled - freedom of choice is fine. Why LIE about something tho?

Because that's what people do Neil. So you now want to take away someones freedom to lie? or is it you just don't understand why people lie? Doesn't make them any less human than you or I.
Mace

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2006, 14:11:55 »

*EDIT* Just founf this :

Subaru Impreza WRX sedan - H4 2.5L DOHC turbo (230 hp) 4A + ABS  0 -60 6.55seconds

Some .5 of a second faster than mine.... and it's a damn sight lighter...at 3192lbs versus the Range Rover at 6724lbs.....

Assuming we just divide the weight by the BHP :

Subaru - 13.88
Range Rover - 16.98

Not actually sure what that means :-)

Something wrong with that. The Audi weighs in at 2500lbs standard and I KNOW its much heavier than an Impretza. as she stands now its lighter and more powerful than factors spec but shouls still be heavier than a 5 year old Scooby.

These calcualtions dont mean anything anyway, guessing the Scooby is manual so thats a good few 10ths of a second per gearchange vs, err, few 100 uSec for the Rangie :) Plus gearing isnt factored in here either, my pull away is slower as my 1st gear seems to be designed for towing a tank, in fact the car often gets treated as a 4 speed and never put in 1st. 3rd gear its case of plant it and hope you dont run out of road/fuel ebfore you can pull yourself out the seat again, very few cars will pull quite like that in third.

No point comparing a rangine VS a Scoobie at all, IMHO its pointless, as hinted at already, the audi and the scooby will take tight corners at speeds that just defy beleive, the range would flip over. On the other hand, I wouldnt start at one crner of a ploughed feild, plant it and expect to be alive at the other side, unlike the rangie.

As for the badges, driving a car that has no offical designation I've plopped for the badges closest to what it really is but I had the choice. Its great when someone thinks its a standard car and gets their ass kicked, but reversed, say an RS4 badge, no point. People that know the cars, like thrasher (Or Myself with Audis) can spot a rebadged car from miles away and we'll just laugh. Make sure what you stick the badge on can back it up otherwise you look a prat when it cant.

On the whole though, you are free to do what you like :) Did think about giving Rabbit a V8 badge for a laugh ;)

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2006, 14:13:05 »
Interesting ;-)

However ... can only find 2,570kg as a weight for the 4.4 - no weight given for the 4.2SC (which I assume is heavier as the spec is higher and the interior is different...) - and I used the gross before (doh!) which is 3050kg.

Now of course...the only thing left is .... where does the power and torque cut in on the Imprezza?

4.2 :

291kW/5750rpm
560Nm/3500rpm
--
Neil

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2006, 14:14:33 »
I agree with Rich :-)

Can we do the power/weight ratio for the thing that was badged up tho? <grin>

0-60 test - of course I elect to use LOW BOX ;-)
--
Neil

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2006, 14:20:26 »
Interesting ;-)

However ... can only find 2,570kg as a weight for the 4.4 - no weight given for the 4.2SC (which I assume is heavier as the spec is higher and the interior is different...) - and I used the gross before (doh!) which is 3050kg.

Now of course...the only thing left is .... where does the power and torque cut in on the Imprezza?

4.2 :

291kW/5750rpm
560Nm/3500rpm

Audi is setup for close to max (227BHP) from 2700 through to 5000 No idea what the Nm figures and actual true range are without the dyno printout. We tried to get it arranged so that we had max contiunous power, I can get it mapped again for a higher output at the cost of having two narrow power bands.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Mace

Attack Member
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2006, 14:24:53 »

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-performance.aspx?RT=418&ED=47098&U=0

2483kg .... what car quote the same for both models !!!
Mace

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline woody

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2006, 14:26:33 »
Quote from: "Mace"

Mace...bit baffled - freedom of choice is fine. Why LIE about something tho?

Because that's what people do Neil. So you now want to take away someones freedom to lie? or is it you just don't understand why people lie? Doesn't make them any less human than you or I.

people who lie are a**h*les
people who lie well are politicians  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Never underestimate the power of a sick mind !!!!
What would scooby doo!!!!
remember if you camp next to the toilets you get to meet everybody at least once over the weekend
R reg Discovery 300tdi  NAMED: Scooby Doo !

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2006, 14:29:03 »
I got my figures from Land Rover ;-)

But then.....
--
Neil

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2006, 14:32:11 »
hmmm..

not sure what the power outputs of Jimbobs motor is as its been tweaked - but its quicker to 60 than the book says and the numbers being quoted above.  he is 'in' with the scooby and Evo lads and all they do try to get the edge on each other for speed!!!!  even somehow get extra speed by putting sparkplugs in the exhaust tail pipes to spit flames at the opposition!!!

rahter than just start to complicate things with power to weight ratios just let the test track decide!  these are two very different motors, if the RR lost even at the same weight there would then be debbate over gear ratios, bhp lost thru tranmissions, aerodynamics...etc..etc..
Dave

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2006, 14:33:20 »
Aerodynamics - Land Rover