AuthorTopic: PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME TO STOP PULLING MY HAIR OUT  (Read 1127 times)

Offline thepipersson1980

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME TO STOP PULLING MY HAIR OUT
« on: April 23, 2006, 20:10:22 »
My problem is between the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump itself, I have looked at the haynes manual and i got to a chapter 14:38 it has number 7 but it does not say what it is looks like a switch of some kind, and number 6 says fuse 18 where the hell is that :(bigangry):
I have chucked up 12 volts to the pump so I know that works I have had a mate round who can who can rewire a train he done all the tests and told me thats where the problam lies shame he didn't have time to sort it out but hes taken the book to see if can make any more sence of it.
I would appreciate any help though ](*,)

Offline richard_sephton

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 21:46:34 »
is it an efi with a flappy airflow meter then the switchcould be in there or the starter switch
87 range rover 3.5
Mods:
erm rust at the moment

www.nworc.co.uk

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 23:31:52 »
For an EFI, try the relays under the drivers seat, I think it's one of those for the fuel pump.
Just remember that the pump doesn't run until the engine has started, a right pain for testing it!  :wink:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 00:32:19 »
The fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds when you turn on the ignition to pressurise the fuel rail, you should hear it if you listen carefully.

There will be a fuse in the fuesbox, but it changed location at least once just to confuse you.  The relay, depending on year, is at the front of the under-seat box (or the rear) and is one of 2 on earlier cars, not sure what the 3rd one does (when fitted, possibly an air-conn thingy) but the other is for the injectors and will have 2 very thick brown wires on it.

This relay should click when the ignition goes on.

I had a problem recently with the plug at the tank end, the wires had corroded and all but snapped right next to the plug, as I fixed one the other fell off in my hand :roll:

One of those wires is common with the fuel sender, the black one on mine.

I've also seen the connectors in the fusedbox slip out of the back as you push a fuse in.

The ECU controls the fuel pump, check the power supply to that too.

You may need to look at an owbner's manul for that year of car, but as you don't say what year I can't help, as they changed a lot.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline thepipersson1980

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 18:47:58 »
Hi, I have found the switch.... I think, maybe someone could correct me but I belive its the switch under the passanger seat couldn't find one by the airflow meter mine is a H reg 1990 if that makes any diffrence I'm off tomorrow so I will have to check out the cables.
The fuse that was checked was C4 in the fuse holder the one with the pic of a pump on it.
Does anyone know although I chucked 12v up to the pump and it worked could it still be the problem?
I hope I'm back on the road for the weekend :cry:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 20:20:01 »
Right, if it's H reg it's pretty much the same as RRR so that's the switch, back inside corner of the seat frame.  The relays are at the back of the driver's seat too.  Push the switch down to get it running, a stone coming  up from underneath can trigger it, or dropping somehting on the floor like a hammer :roll: .

If there is power leaving the inertia switch and not getting to the pump then the wiring is at fault.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal