AuthorTopic: Strainer  (Read 5584 times)

Offline karloss

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Strainer
« on: June 22, 2004, 23:08:33 »
Does anybody know, is there(or should there be) a fuel strainer on the feed pipe either where it leaves the tank and/or where it enters the pump on a 1989 90 TD. (non TDI)??? :?  Seem to be having some minor fuel feed issues on T'old lass. Also, has anyone tried that 10K cleaner/de-coke stuff? Is it any good????
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Strainer
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 12:53:49 »
Has the rock climbing moved "debris" around in the tank? :(

Is there a sediment bowl near the tank under the wheel arch like on a Disco?

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
10k Boost
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 15:09:18 »
Hi all, I have used the 10k Boost, in my old 205gti, which was highly tuned. It worked great in that. I have heard that it works well on diesels too. I am intending to use it on mine. I usually put a WYNNS injector flush through every six months, and that also works well. As for the prefilter, i dont think their is, but a guy i work with has just put one into his fuel line, after weeks of fuel probs, and it has cured them all. I would suggest removing the fuel tank, and give it good steam clean out. This time of year  there is a bacteria which grows in Diesel and it seems to create all sorts of probs. Cheers Wayne. :D

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Strainer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 15:13:16 »
I have some 10K boost - has anyone used it on a V8 with a hotwire air flow sensor - how did you "inject" the cleaner?
--
Neil

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Strainer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 16:50:42 »
I have one or two tins of this stuff  (called powerboost same stuff different name)

used it on my 300tdi and it made quite and difference - the engine is far smoother and seems to have more low torque than before.  too early to tell about fuel use.

I sprayed it straight into the inlet manifold past the intercooler.

Jason used some on his TD90 and the difference was incredible - immediately better acceleration and less smoke.

seems to be good stuff
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Strainer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 17:34:02 »
There isn't normally a strainer on the fuel pipes.  The uplift pipe runs up to the sedimenter / filter on the bulkhead.  Putting an inline filter in can help, but will cause you problems in the future if you forget to change / clean it when you do a service.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Strainer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 17:38:02 »
BTW, what sort of fuel feed issues ?

Have you checked that the uplift pump is working OK ?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Strainer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 20:18:20 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
BTW, what sort of fuel feed issues ?

Have you checked that the uplift pump is working OK ?

The pumps fine. Now and then I seem to have a lack of go.(well, more so than usual) I thought at first the turbo was maybe to blame but that seems ok too. It's a bit hit and miss which was what made me think it might be a shortage of fuel. Going to give it a proper look see at the weekend. Seems to be worse when you've been at full throttle for extended periods. Like coming home from derbyshire with the toe down for example. :lol: The bulkhead filter is only 4 months old but for the sake of £ 1.80 I might change that anyway, just to be sure. Very tempted with the 10k stuff, haven't heard a bad thing about it so far.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Strainer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 20:23:58 »
Quote from: "Wanderer"
Has the rock climbing moved "debris" around in the tank? :(

Is there a sediment bowl near the tank under the wheel arch like on a Disco?

Ed

Probably, and No. In that order. :lol:  :lol: The tank on the 90 is right under the drivers seat. Staightforward pipe comes up from there into the engine bay.
Cheers, Karl..

1990 90 TD

Offline diesel_boy

Attack Member
  • NUTTER
Strainer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 22:15:20 »
rite when you look thro ur fuel system start at ur lift stack u may well have a gause filter on it  that could be clogded up wiv crap next go to ur lift pump or purge pump wat ever ya wanna call it strip it down ive know  the diafram vales to stick open and once ive seen um come right out  easy to fix just tap um back in with a small scoket  and while you have  ur pipes off to ur stack /lift pipe and too ur lift pump just blow out ur  fuel line  and the if u have got one put a new filter on with sum wynns diesel injector cleaner in the filter  if  that dont work  set fire to it lol  (jokein)   if ya wer nearer i would of came and looked at it for ya ......... sam   ps dose it smoke ?????   not 20 a day  but black white or blue
2door rangie beeing bob'erd    
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/diesel_boy
sam@northants4x4.com

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Strainer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 15:27:49 »
Cheers for that Sam. No, it don't smoke much at all. Bit when you first start up but after that, no.
Cheers, Karl..

1990 90 TD

Offline diesel_boy

Attack Member
  • NUTTER
Strainer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 16:56:40 »
ok if ya still got trubbles  let me know ill see if  i can fink ov any  thing else.......sam
2door rangie beeing bob'erd    
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/diesel_boy
sam@northants4x4.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal