AuthorTopic: Chaging the Diffs to rangies  (Read 1613 times)

Offline MOTORSPORT_SAFETY

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Chaging the Diffs to rangies
« on: April 14, 2006, 11:35:43 »
Hi all

Just been talking to a guy who has just visted next door and he stopped to have a chat about the landy and asked if I was changing the diffs he told me a mate of his did it and it ran better and was quicker.

At the moment im using the axels of the 6cyl that im stripping down, I dont know of any differences on the back as I belive they were the same as a normal 109 and the fronts had bigger brakes that im planning on using with the master cyl from the 6cyl.

Is there much benefit to tweeking the setup, I have a set of free wheeling hubs on the spare axel that I am thinking of useing and I have an overdrive.

Its going to be doing a bit of everythink really from laneing while I still can, to some play days, apart from that its going to see action in forestes as I do motorsport safety and radio and im wanting to do more of the forest based events so will be getting used for that too.

Am I right in guessing that to change the diffs its just a case of checking the no of splinse makeing sure I have the right half shafts and end caps on the hubs or is there more black magic to it than that.

Just thought id ask cos I dont know basicly

All the best and hope your all having a good friday off at least the suns out for a bit up here ( Wirral )

Paul

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 12:20:35 »
yeah you have the basic idea, just 'ups' the final gearing, ie slower pull away but slightly better top end, also lowers revs when cruising.had the range diffs in the widow, but changed back to series ones as i prefer the standard gearing around town, at 30 with range diffs i had to use 3rd, can now select 4th at 25mph with no snatching.
Down to choice.. I didnt notice any differnce in fuel economy either..
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 14:10:01 »
thanks mate

If thats the case dont think ill waste the time and money on them I dont think id save or gain anything really with the FWH and the overdrive on there at present and its not as if im going to be racing it.

Hmm 109 racer no no stop it im getting ideas now grrrr lol

thanks again mate
Paul

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 15:42:07 »
I have ragie diffs in my 88" and when it had the 2.25diesel in it was alot better. I could stay in 4th and go down to 30mph and pull off from that. I have no overdrive so it was ok for me. Off road it was a bit to much on steep hills with it in low box but I think a petrol would be ok. I had 85mph one day on the motorway. It also makes it not screem its tits off to keep up with the traffic. It was alot better on fuel on long distance. I now have a perkins 4203 3.3L engine which only revs to 2300 rpm but its still not bad 60mph tops but loads of grunt. I think if you have a overdrive it will be to much for the box. I have a servo off a 90 and 11" 109 from drums and the brakes are super duper.....
WATER DRAWS LAND ROVERS LIKE IRON FILINGS TO A MAGNET
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Series3 90 look alike Project.
Skipton North Yorkshire

D E F R A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 17:21:13 »
Depends on what axle you've got anyway, if you've got a rear Salisbury you can't do it that easily. You'd need to find the rear axle from a 109" stage1 or put a Rover axle on.

Personally unless the vehicle is for 100% tarmac use I wouldn't do it as it raises both the hi and lo ratios, stick with the overdrive or a high ratio transfer box.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 17:26:13 »
Hi guys

Thanks for all the advice iv decided its probably not worth the expense to do it

As I said with the overdrive and fwh I dont think ill see much of a benefit in doing it.

I have the disel 2 1/4 sorry I think some people got the jist it was a petrol.

As for brakes its getting the setup that was on the 6cyl so are 11" drums on the rear and not too sure whats on front as I have not got that far yet hopefull all things being equal the back will have everything on it except the shoes this time tomorrow in my wisdom I got all forgot to get the normal shoes for the rear though I do have 4 sets of shoes for the fronts so not probs sourcing them in the future lol.

All the best gang if I have any more daft questions ill be sure to ask lol

Paul

Offline fire boy si

Attack Member
upgrade to range rover diffs
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 23:50:54 »
id stick with what you have got i have got them in my s3 diesel and it only really gets up to speed on the moterway and i have only seen the benifits of them on a long run. the other bit which hasnt been said is choice of tyre type and size if you use any thing biger than a 205/600/235\70 it will be really slow of the mark and even more so with muds

laters fire boy si
series land rovers dont leak they just mark their terratory

1972 s3 2/14 diesel hard top
235/85 R16 chaco mud terrains
para springs
Mill services sill bars
and currently off road (sorn)
still to come

spare wheel carrier
south down snorkel

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 07:49:59 »
Best thing I ever did to my 88" was get rid of the old tired 2.25D and fit a Perkins 4203 3.3L. Its No more BHP but its packed with tourque. With the engine only reving to 2600rpm you would think its going to be slow but because I have rangie diffs in it will do 60mph flat out and it will stay there up and down hills.
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

Offline Tikirocker

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 19:36:45 »
I've got a Holden 6cyl 186 in my 88 and have been toying with either a rear Salisbury conversion or the RR axles conversion giving disc brakes and wider track. If I went with the RR option I'd actually swap the 3.45 diffs out and put in the Rover 4.7's to maintain the gearing - running 3.45's make the gearing too tall for low range though it might be ok for h'way but you'd find it tough work pulling hills and anything else unless you had a big motor in there. My Holden 6 cyl has more torque than most standard V8's but I dare not go with 3.54 anyway. Better to stick with 4.7 and get a HRTC conversion which leaves Low Range alone in my case but every case will be different for the driver and vehicle.

Best, Simon.
1985, 110 County V8 - Tray Back.

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 19:25:48 »
Quote from: "Miniman"
I have a servo off a 90 and 11" 109 from drums and the brakes are super duper.....
So will 10" on front and 11" on the back be fine or does it need 11" all round :?:  I'm just weighing up the options for a future engine swap as the 2 1/4 diesel is pants IMO. Probably wont be swapped this year but everything else can be uprated first :D

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 19:50:50 »
No I have 11" on the front only and the 90 servo its totaly brill like that. You have no need to upgrade any more than that. If it stops mine and a 109" on a A frame I think its ok like that.
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal