AuthorTopic: 4x4 bashing - have your say  (Read 1764 times)

Offline mark dale

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
4x4 bashing - have your say
« on: April 12, 2006, 01:39:22 »
comments please !!!  - SCROLL TO BOTTOM OF PAGE !!http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/mortarboard/2006/04/teachers_take_on_the_chelsea_t.html

MARK " fed up with the anti's " dale

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 01:55:33 »
Has my say, probably get edited though :roll:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Horness

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 08:42:10 »
Replied.  Kept it "clean" though in the hope it stays published.

Horness

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 08:53:08 »
Me too probably get deleted or edited although I was'nt too rude! Jus refered to tree hugging whingers!! :shock:
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD
Kia Sorento XS. (SWMBOs car)
Renault Megane CC(my everyday car)

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:01:26 »
I attacked the ATL. Total wussies
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 09:23:11 »
This is too easy.
Find one you think is offensive, click the report box in the bottom
and report it as offensive.

It gets immediately removed............................
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

dew1911

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 10:17:16 »

This is complete.... Stupidity.

I mean, are 4x4s really the problem here, or is the problem IRRISPONSABLE use of the 4x4. It's all fair and well to attack the 4x4, you have a right to an opinion and a right to make it known.

A Series 3 Land Rover 88" is a short vehicle, in fact, they are shorter than a Ford Mondeo. You get a better view of the road and you ARE helping the environment.

The Series 3 production was halted in the Late 80's, and surley by keeping said vehicle on the road you are not putting one more on the road, which would cause pollution to build that vehicle, and you're not causing pollution by scrapping your Land Rover.

I agree that the Chelsea tractor (BMW X3/X5) is a COMPLETE waste of space, but things like Discoverys, Defenders and Suzuki Jimny's are not, because they CAN actually be used off road, and people do use them.

At the end of the day, we're not going to be able to please everyone, but by attacking one group you are lowering yourself to the level of genocide, maybe without the killing, but it's not far off.

I'm quite proud of that :)

I wanted to call them all Hitler's, but that would have been pulled  :(

Offline Neil Jones

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 10:43:32 »
I think people here are missing the point of the article.  I totally agree with what the article is saying, that is that people in cities with no practical use for a 4x4 are harming the environment.

I dont think even the antis are against anyone owning a series 3, a rugged defender or disco.  What they are against are sparkling discos, rangies and other makes such as BMW and Porche which are never used for the means that a 4x4 is required.  If you have horses, put a sticker in the rear window or something else which highlights that you DO have a use for the vehicle.

I think that inner city 4x4's (Chelsea Tractors) are totally pointless and only cause damage to the environment, which we DO have a responsibility for.

Come on mud-clubbers, as responsible users of 4x4's we should not get hot-headed when people attack the Chelsea Tractors, instead realise that they are causing damage to the environment.

Instead of fighting off the arguements against 4x4's we could more constructively use our time and efforts to highlight that other cars, which aren't AWD can cause as much of a problem to the environment, and as they move faster and have less of a view of the road probably cause more accidents.
The winter prepares the earth for the spring, so do afflictions sanctified prepare the soul for glory

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

1972 SWB Diesel
Parabolic Suspension
Capstan winch
Overdrive
Inertia seat belts
LR90 Doors
BFG MT's
CD Player stereo (mounted above passenger)
Snorkel
Axle breathers.

Next on are rock/tree sliders and a new lick of paint!

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 11:36:17 »
Come on mud-clubbers, as responsible users of 4x4's we should not get hot-headed when people attack the Chelsea Tractors, instead realise that they are causing damage to the environment.

Thin end of the wedge and all that.

Ban urban 4x4s? Well thats me fubared then or should I have to get special permission to drive through a town? If I need special permission what reason do I give? "I go playing in mud some weekends you honour" ...... "not sure thats good enough young man, permission denied".

I suppose I could store out near some village somewhere and drive out to pick it up of a weekend and then there is the problem that I want to get to a play n play site the other side of kidderminster but I cant drive through kiddy anymore so I have to take a circular route (avoiding stourport).

If you let them ban 'chelsea tractors', either by legislation or tax, then we are all up poo creek without toilet paper.

As to causing damage to the enviroment that in itself is debatable. Greenhouse gasses from cows, running on veg oil/lpg, mpg and even is global warming man made at all :!:
It is a sad fact that society NEEDS to be scared of something. It used to be the USSR, now it global warming (in the 70s and 80s the same people were telling us that we were in for anew iceage btw).
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.

LABOUR

Offline Neil Jones

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 11:53:53 »
I don't know wheter bans or taxes or what are most appropriate.  Everyone is entitled to a hobby.  I don't know what the solution is.

I guess what I'm concerned is about cars that use large amounts of fuel, for no reason whatsoever.  I agree the cost to the environment of building a new car is far greater than the environmental cost of the fuel that is burnt.

Maybe by owning and occasionally driving an S3 I am being hypocritical, but I do everything I can to reduce the damage to the environment elsewheres to make up for it. i.e by driving a small fiesta the rest of the time, only doing about 60-65 on the motorway and not boyracing it.  The same with the Landy, I know she goes slow, but if in traffic I cut the engine.

But the fact remains that the environment won't last forever at this current rate of distruction and we all have a role to play in trying to resolve the issue. Wheter your kids inherit a range rover, series, or disco they still inherit the planet.  If people don't act responsibly by cutting down on emissions where they can the planet will be worthless to them.

I'm not saying we should all stop driving, but should be looking to ways we can cut down on emissions.  It needs to be a personal decision wheter to buy an X5, Range Rover or daewoo matiz and no-one should be punished for whatever they choose.  But it should be in your[sic] conscious as to whether you do your bit for the environment or not.

Please don't think I agree with all the antis are saying.  But I do think that the article in question does have a point.
The winter prepares the earth for the spring, so do afflictions sanctified prepare the soul for glory

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

1972 SWB Diesel
Parabolic Suspension
Capstan winch
Overdrive
Inertia seat belts
LR90 Doors
BFG MT's
CD Player stereo (mounted above passenger)
Snorkel
Axle breathers.

Next on are rock/tree sliders and a new lick of paint!

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 12:14:38 »
I lifted the stuff below from another post

I did have a big rant planned about scientists makeing sure they get their next research budget but cant be asked. The greenies wouldnt listen anyway.

Heres the link for those who want to read another version
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html
The playing with numbers bit about half way down is worth a read.
The article is very well referenced to academic sites by the way.

This quote sums up my thinking
Quote:
"Scientists who want to attract attention to themselves, who want to attract great funding to themselves, have to (find a) way to scare the public . . . and this you can achieve only by making things bigger and more dangerous than they really are."

Petr Chylek
(Professor of Physics and Atmospheric Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia)

Quote:
“The goal of modern propaganda is no longer to transform opinion but to arouse an active and mythical belief”

Jacques Ellul

as I said enviromental impact is debatable
Pollution at a local level (smog deforestation chemicals in water etc) is of concern but the jury is still out on global warming when away from the media spotlight and greenpeace.

LABOUR

Offline Singlefin

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 12:54:52 »
I reckon the best solution would be to make 4x4's as unfashionable as possible. Therefore, whenever I drive my landy, I shall make sure I'm wearing spandex and have snot in my beard.
[:ο]#[ο:] SIII 109 2¼ diesel "What's the hurry?"

I suspect arson. Arson? Aye. Arson around.

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 13:17:50 »
Quote from: "Singlefin"
I reckon the best solution would be to make 4x4's as unfashionable as possible. Therefore, whenever I drive my landy, I shall make sure I'm wearing spandex and have snot in my beard.

god i must be a trend setter then  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

oh and i have had my say  :wink: tried to stay on topic
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline BRO

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 14:24:13 »
OK added my 2 pennorth...

I first considered getting a 4x4 when there were problems with flooding in the UK - often the only people who could travel in some areas were those in off-road 4x4s! My own route to work quite often had a large stretch under water, sometimes in 2 places!

To anyone who hasn't driven one... Try it! they are brilliant vehicles :) Just driving off the kerb is the start of an adventure LOL :D

If 97% of greenhouse gas is natural and 3% is accounted for by 6 million human beings, I can't see that me scrapping my wonderful Land Rover Discovery V8 will make any difference in the world at all.

Posted by Graphite on April 12, 2006 02:27 PM.
Mick

'Tiggs BRO' T995 BRO Epsom Green 4.0 V8 ES7 - Oasis Side Steps, Rubbing Strips, PDC, K&N Filter, EBC Sport (dimpled & grooved) Discs, EBC SUV supreme pads, Goodridge lines, Discoparts CDL, Rear tints, Chrome ladder.

www.answersingenesis.org

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 14:44:59 »
Quote from: "Bob696"
As to causing damage to the enviroment that in itself is debatable. Greenhouse gasses from cows, running on veg oil/lpg, mpg and even is global warming man made at all

If Dinosaurs had 4x4's do you think we'd have had the Ice Age  :-k

Do enviromentalists ever look at this planets past? Earth has gone through many climate changes, we may not have helped with some, but it could be some natural changes are happening. and as for emissions, volcanos produce more sulphur and other gases than my 4x4 will ever churn out.

I'd like to see Greenpeace try and stop mother nature as she's one evil lady when you get her back up  :shock:
Lee from Brum

Offline Singlefin

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 15:04:06 »
Quote from: "BrumLee"
Quote from: "Bob696"
As to causing damage to the enviroment that in itself is debatable. Greenhouse gasses from cows, running on veg oil/lpg, mpg and even is global warming man made at all

If Dinosaurs had 4x4's do you think we'd have had the Ice Age  :-k

Do enviromentalists ever look at this planets past? Earth has gone through many climate changes, we may not have helped with some, but it could be some natural changes are happening. and as for emissions, volcanos produce more sulphur and other gases than my 4x4 will ever churn out.

I'd like to see Greenpeace try and stop mother nature as she's one evil lady when you get her back up  :shock:

In a few billion years time, it's possible that it'll start raining sodium. Can't see that being too pleasant.  :shock:
[:ο]#[ο:] SIII 109 2¼ diesel "What's the hurry?"

I suspect arson. Arson? Aye. Arson around.

Offline drutt

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 15:23:41 »
oddly enough, in a geological sense earth is currently in an ice age as temperatures are lower than they have (or should) be.  Regardless of whether CO2 production via cars etc is the cause of this, and whether the reversal of the   solar dimming  effect caused by the clean air acts isn't a problem as well and then get into a thousand other arguments....

There is a simple matter to be considered.  4x4s are not "by definition" more accident prone, or "gas guzzlers" and there are many many cars that fair far worse in the NCAP crash tests and emmissions stakes.  Regardless of what this numpty has said there *is* research into how much damage a car does when it hits a child, this is incorperated into the pedestrian safety score on the NCAP crash tests, tests which place the Range Rover in the same catagory as an Audi A3...  So are we going to ban those too ?

To base the judgement and taxation of vehicles on something as arbitary as whether a history teacher happens to think it's an SUV or not is as ludicrous as it is impractical.    How are you going to define it ?  number of driven wheels ?  well, there goes the imprezza, the audi, the jag...  length ?  there goes most cars,  weight, jag is out of the window again, width? height?  size, shape and colour of badge ?

Not to mention that "adding a warning sign to the dashboard" is just blatently retarded as a suggestion.  As if sitting in a Discovery reading a little sign saying "this vehicle is dangerous" is going to make me think "well, really?  I'd better stop deliberately mowing small children over" then.   As if a Micra is going to hurt less.   Yes, a Micra has a better 30mph crash safety rating for children than a discovery, but what the hell was I doing driving past a school at 30, and what the hell was the child doing on the road?

Learn to drive, learn to react, learn tollerance and teach our children some stuffing road safety ...

or is this warning badge going to be made out of the same plastic that also stops terrorists from blowing themselves up, and presumably cures cancer in rats and bird flu.

dew1911

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 16:40:18 »
Looks like mines been removed... What did I do to offend?

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 18:00:15 »
Well, I've tried to register, but for some reason I can't validate my email addy; also, I'm feeling very inadequate, cos I've been driving my Landy for over 3 years now, and I STILL haven't grown a pen!s!! :(bigcry): :(bigcry):

BTW, I love the way D Smith changes their definition of 'evil 4x4' every time an owner challenges him/her!! :(biglaugh):
Janie.
Willow, Keavy, Angel, Thor, sleep tight my darlings, God bless.[/i]
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 18:54:41 »
Quote from: "smartprice"
I think people here are missing the point of the article.  I totally agree with what the article is saying, that is that people in cities with no practical use for a 4x4 are harming the environment.

I dont think even the antis are against anyone owning a series 3, a rugged defender or disco.  What they are against are sparkling discos, rangies and other makes such as BMW and Porche which are never used for the means that a 4x4 is required.  If you have horses, put a sticker in the rear window or something else which highlights that you DO have a use for the vehicle.

I think that inner city 4x4's (Chelsea Tractors) are totally pointless and only cause damage to the environment, which we DO have a responsibility for.

totally agree with that.

Instead of fighting off the arguements against 4x4's we could more constructively use our time and efforts to highlight that other cars, which aren't AWD can cause as much of a problem to the environment, and as they move faster and have less of a view of the road probably cause more accidents.

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 19:06:10 »
i bought a 4x4 simply because i could claim 40% TAX back :)

It doubles up as a Family Rec Vehicle and a great off road toy :)  Job Done :)

every one is entitled to what they drive, if peeps have money then they may go for a nice big Bimmer or Merc etc, not a 4x4 but still burns up fuel, if peeps really think that a few miles to the gallon makes a difference to the world they dont live in the real world.

Take a look at the USA they know how to burn fuel :) and i bet you all there arnt many moaners out there !!!
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 19:30:04 »
If you'd like to express an opinion on road safety instruction, bias & prejudice in schools, or anything else, to the head of the school this all-knowing history teacher works at; here's the e-mail addy: head@hardenhuish.wilts.sch.uk
 :(contented):
Janie.
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Offline discomummy

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 22:11:09 »
Hi,

added my bit - seems i was kept on as i was the only one admitting to be a school-run mummy!

none of the anti 4wders bothered to congratulate me on school run sharing - which i have always done since the girls started school - believe me 5 x 6 year olds in the beastie is not fun!!!!

regards

ela
Sonar - DII V8 now become a toy
Pugsley (peugeot 407) now sitting dead in a garage workshop, being replaced by Yeti the kia carens!
Bagheera - geoff's new(ish) car - a black jaguar!
love is....a husband who is prepared to put petrol in his wife's V8 without flinching - now has admitted to flinching occasionally

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 13:05:57 »
ok I'll buy a rangie and take the front prop shaft off and run it in difflock when in towns, instant 2wd rangie - IT'S STILL THE SAME DAMN CAR having 4wd makes no difference what so ever.

Offline scania

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 14:02:15 »
Quote from: "Dirty Gertie"
Well, I've tried to register, but for some reason I can't validate my email addy; also, I'm feeling very inadequate, cos I've been driving my Landy for over 3 years now, and I STILL haven't grown a pen!s!! :(bigcry): :(bigcry):

BTW, I love the way D Smith changes their definition of 'evil 4x4' every time an owner challenges him/her!! :(biglaugh):

Oh Gertie I am so pleased you havnt grown one  :lol:

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 15:05:48 »
i sent a comment back on one of the earlier posts...

I feel this article implies that everyone who drives a 4x4 is doing it soley to increase their social status and without regard to the health or saftey of anyone else?!! wheres the helpful factual and productive part of that?? i dont feel this could be any more unfair or biased if he was to say all 4x4 drivers are c :shock: ts!

thankyou

:lol: doubt it will getany attention.. but gave me 4 mins of chuckle time!

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 17:11:11 »
Other than a few imported Hummers I was under the impression that we did not have any SUV's in this country.  :wink:

A 'normal' car bonnet is the same height as an infant in Primary School . I'm sure that most Secondary School kids walk anyway.

Ask the man with the bike if it's a Mountain Bike and has he ridden it down one. Or if it's a Racer has he ever competed in a race.

One slight negative. I am aware as a 4 X 4 driver that I have better visibility than other car users around me and a normal vehicle behind me will have reduced vision of the road in front of me. To compensate for this I will drive my vehicle slightly closer to the left hand of the lane when approaching junctions or cars waiting to turn right so that they can see what's coming up.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline Hangover

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 18:17:11 »
Wouldn't quite describe my 90 as 'comfortable'.

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 19:28:21 »
Quote from: "scania"
Quote from: "Dirty Gertie"

:

Oh Gertie I am so pleased you havnt grown one  :lol:

Hello Judi; I didn't realise you were lurking around here!! :D  Have you not grown one either?? And the rest of the laydees? Julie? Ela? Lou? Any of you noticed any erm... development??

:oops:
Janie.
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich