AuthorTopic: The fire went out.........  (Read 1811 times)

Wolfie

The fire went out.........
« on: April 10, 2006, 12:10:02 »
Quote from: "RedlineMike"
Quote from: "Wolfie"
sounds like a good story,what you done??

The fire went out, and wouldn't relight. More details here. Thankfully she is still 110 shaped.

Why didn't I discover comp safari 20 years ago?

Regards

Wolfie

told ya it was a good fun,have u tried resetting the trip switch for the injection?

<continued from elsewhere>

Where would I be likely to find that? (hoping it isn't that simple)

Symtoms are:- Good spark at the plugs, fuel pump running constantly, nothing happens whith the extra air valve thingy (not sure what it's called) on the back of the plenum chamber when ignition switched on or off.

Have tried a substitute ECU.
Disconnecting AFM doesn't help (hotwire)
Most connectors (ignition amp etc) have been disconnected, checked to be clean, and reconnected without sucess.

Regards

Wolfie

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:34:27 »
nothing happens whith the extra air valve thingy (not sure what it's called) on the back of the plenum chamber when ignition switched on or off

stepper motor,its ment to move in & out to adjust the air flow at idle,if you take it out & switch the ignition on it should "i think" move in & out then return to centre,

if the trip switch was still in the system id expect it to be mounted on either the bulkhead or near the ECU BUT thats only if te person who fitted the engine kept it,u getting any fuel in the hole?
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Wolfie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 13:00:51 »
stepper motor,its ment to move in & out to adjust the air flow at idle,if you take it out & switch the ignition on it should "i think" move in & out then return to centre,

Yep, that's the thing. Our information was that it should do something when the ignition is switched.

This, and the constantly running fuel pump is leading us to believe that the ECU isn't talking to other bits of the car. Yes, I have checked that there is actually fuel in the tank.
if the trip switch was still in the system id expect it to be mounted on either the bulkhead or near the ECU BUT thats only if te person who fitted the engine kept it,u getting any fuel in the hole?

Can't say I've seen anything that I would recognise as a trip switch, but not sure exactly wat to look for, do you have a picture?
The car has, I believe, always been a 3.9 as it started life as Swiss military spec. It was converted by Mike Wolfe's Kingley Cross Country, so built by people that have a clue about what to do.

The landing wasn't, by a long way, the heaviest that we had - knocking it out of gear was a bit of a surprise. The car does look good in flight, just waiting to be emailed some pictures of that.

Regards

Wolfie

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 13:08:58 »
if u can get access to a td5 defender i can tell you where ther eis 1 on them & thats what to look for,

im guessing it probably started of life as a carbed model & at some point has had efi fitted,ill have a think,tim would probably be your best help as i dont know much about efi systems on V8's
Mike

Wolfie

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 13:21:10 »
Luckily we have access to people that know a lot about these things, as we're friends with Stunned Buffalo Racing. In fact we have a tuned 3.9 in his garage that will be going into the racer sometime.

Was just fishing for suggestions on here to see if there is anthing I can try before we can tie up with Franc.

The first job is to clean the car - must remember to take a pressure washer with me to the next event.

Regards

Wolfie

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 14:05:14 »
when i was doing comps at the later end that was the first thing to go in the motor,petrol power washer & 200 litres of water
Mike

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 14:59:12 »
I've got a similar problem myself now.  Can't get herself to start.  Didn't try much last night 'cause I was meant to be writing articles, but I did try some of the connections with no joy.

Slightly worrying as we haven't even been racing recently.  The wiring in the racer is the one last thing that we haven't tackled in full other than tiding up and making safe the bodge job it had when I bought it!

My symptoms are slightly different.

-Fuel pump primes and stops as you would expect.
-Trying without AFM makes no difference.
-Don't know what the spark is like yet.

MOT booked on Weds and I don't currently have any working indicators either!  Going to be a busy night!

H

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 15:07:53 »
go back to carbs

:lol:
Mike

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 15:20:51 »
No fear! :lol:

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 15:21:29 »
QUAD Su's  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:
Mike

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 22:09:09 »
I like plug and play. :D

Found my starting problem - plugs.  A legacy of the AFM going down on the Hillrally I reckon!

H

Wolfie

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 22:15:34 »
That's good news, hope that I can find my problem as easily.

Remember to check the hazard switch when looking for your indicator problems as the feed to the indicator stalk goes through it. That was the problem that I had on Heather at the hillrally - I don't think the switch liked me trying to get to speed when setting up. Now that was scary, no cage, no harness (I don't think i was wearing my seat belt either) and none of the marshall and safety crew backup.

Regards

Wolfie

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 22:43:45 »
That's ok, you've learnt now! :wink:   Much nicer with the proper safety kit and not so much stuff floating about the vehicle isn't it!

I've sorted the indicators too now (or at least my father has!). So I think its ready for the MOT.

See how we go.

Hope you get to the bottom of your issue soon.

H

Wolfie

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 17:15:19 »
It Lives............

It turned out that it was the heavy landing that caused the problem. The fuel pump managed to detach itself from the outlet pipe, so was happily pumping fuel back into the tank.

We really should have pulled it out at the event, but it was so covered in mud that I didn't want to get a tank full of mud and suffer problems in the future. It took longer to clean the mud off than it did to do the fix.

Also plugger her into the diagnostics computer - all seems fine.

Here's to the next event

Wolfie
Happy, with two working land rovers again.

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 17:32:07 »
Well done, glad to hear it!  :D

It had to be something that simple.  I think that it was wise not to go digging at the event.  Dirt in the tank is not much fun.

I take it it is an in-tank pump?  I couldn't work out where it was at the event.

I assume your Hillrally entry will be winging its way now then! :wink:

I seem to be busy buying lots of new shiny stuff for the 'Muddy Moo'.  Got the MOT and tax now.  Did about 100 miles in it last weekend to bed in the brakes, only I've got to change the rears now! :shock:

H

Wolfie

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 17:38:58 »
Yes, it's an in tank pump, the muddy thing that I assumed was the return pipe was in fact the wiring.

Hillrally? can't think of a good reason not to send the form.

Must sort out the front suspension before then, have new double shock mount kit and custom uprated lower shock mounts to go on. Hopefully the HD top rings are winging their way up from devonshire. Need to get some lower spring seats but that's one of tomorrows jobs, along with picking up a spare wheel and some tyre valves. And I'll be doing it in M.

See you at Clyo, if not before.

Wolfie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal