AuthorTopic: SJ413 gearbox  (Read 2164 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SJ413 gearbox
« on: April 06, 2006, 10:59:19 »
Went to pick up my new toy last night..... but left it with them! The gearbox was the worst I have EVER heard. I doubted I was going to make the 2 hour drive back! So I'm off again tonight with a trailer!

Spoke to KAP just now and he said £80 for a good used box  :shock:  :shock: I lurve this little thing..... being used to Land Rover prices, that is peanuts  :D

Has anyone fitted the paddle clutch? He recommended it while the box was out. Says it'll last 'forever'.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 14:25:21 »
Was under the vit yesterday evening looking at the box and comming to the cunclusion it'd take no more than half an hour to get it out from there. Compared to the Audi which is a days work and involves removing the engine!.

I've yet to find any jon on it that looks as horrific as anything else I've had to work on. Alternator is a bit of a pig but thats it.

Rich
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 14:45:35 »
Thanks for the encouragement Rich  :D

I thought it looked an OK job. I'm not totally sure if it is the gearbox or transfer box that is making the noise. I'll get under it on Sunday and try to isolate the rattle. It actually rattles when the car is stood idling, so I'm not totally convinced what it is.

The chassis looks perfect. The body is remarkably sound too. Couldn't immediately spot any rust in the rear arches or sills. The bottoms of the doors are near perfect. The tailgate has a tiny amount of blistering along the bottom edge. The only major rust on it seems to be a hole in the leading edge of the bonnet. No major dents (not for long!). The interior looks clean (not for long!), but the hood could do with replacing at some point.

All the electrics seem to work with the exception of the interior light!

Just needs a bit of TLC as they say  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 18:46:31 »
lets see a pic then steve :lol:

if youv'e got the funds for a paddle clutch go fot it best clutch upgrade you can do to an sj as they are week,
will take about 2hrs total maybe less to change it,
wot sort of noise are you gettin from the gearbox area?

simon 8)

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 20:38:48 »
I had a godawful scraping noise, sounnded like a cutch spring or something, it cleaered after a week and I'm almost certain it was actually the alternator. Not stripped the old unit down yet but its not done it since it got a new one.

Rich
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 17:35:24 »
The noise from the box is about as bad as you can possibly imagine..... really. My guess is the laygear bearings are totally shot. It rattles like crazy at idle. The noise goes away when you dip the clutch and then comes back with a vengence when you start to pull away. Graunching, grinding, screeching, you name it.... it does it  :lol:

When I pulled up in the petrol station, they turned to look at me from INSIDE the shop  :oops:   :lol:

Haven't got any pics yet. After my 10 year old son had his first driving lesson in it on Saturday, we dumped it in the workshop ready for the gearbox transplant.

Having had a better look around it, it does have some rot. The join between the wings and front panel are rough. the front arches look a bit scabby from inside the engine bay. Nothing of concern though. It is going to have to live outside, so I'll invest in a new hood to keep the worst of the rain out. I'm still really pleased with it and looking forward to playing with my new toy  :D

The more you guys tell me, the more enthused I get! Sounds like it's going to be a doddle to work on.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 18:10:41 »
Right, we're off! Ordered a used box from KAP today. Should be with me in time to spend a dirty weekened under the new toy  :lol: Ordered a replacement hood while I was at it. I'll stick with the standard clutch for now. Since it so easy to drop the box out, I can always change it later.

Got one of those CD's off eBay with the workshop manuals. The section on gearbox removal is one page  :D
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 09:18:50 »
OK.....2 hour job, eh?...... How come those 2 hour jobs always take 2 days  :roll:  :lol:

Took the old gearbox out yesterday and found the replacement had a longer selector housing so the gearlever would have been a couple of inches further back and fouling the floor. After much making the air blue, I pressed on and stripped both boxes to build one from two. Finished that at 7.00 last night having started at 10am. I have to say, the gearbox is a very simple device though. Really well designed and easy to strip.

I found why the old box was 'grumbly' though..... the front laygear bearing had broken right through the front plate and there were only about 4 balls left in it  :shock: It was driving around like that too! No wonder there were pools of oil.... it was emptying the gearbox completely via the bell housing! There were lumps of metal strewn all around the inside of the box.
I got some pics on my phone, so I post them as soon as I transfer them.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 18:20:12 »
Got the pics of the gearbox...... and it was driving like this!!!
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
SJ413 gearbox
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 20:28:09 »
I feel the need to go check mine after seeing that ...

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal