AuthorTopic: Service for J reg disco  (Read 3895 times)

Music Junky

Service for J reg disco
« on: June 16, 2004, 19:34:08 »
Hi guys im wanting to service my J reg disco and im wanting to know what parts i will need and how much they will cost.
Also how much would it cost to have the timeing belt renewed at a garage.
I can service cars myself but ive never done a disco before, and also the timeing belt removal looks like a real headache and looks really complicated.
Ive done jobs before and after a few times they seem easy, but that timeing belt looks like i will have nightmares if it dosent go into the garage.
Thanks Darren
Ps its a 3 door Black disco called julie and at the moment she needs a damm good wash and polish, but shes a big women and will take a lot longer than my old cavalier to t cut and polish.
Anyone done a timeing belt ? and do you wish the garage had done it ?
Thanks

Offline Disco Inferno

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Service for J reg disco
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 11:01:43 »
timing belt is a doddle, just take your time and it'll all go back peachy.
I invested in a set of lockign tools from difflock, they were 70 quid at the time but seem to have gone up in price. I'll be doing other mates belts so was worth the cash and makes the job v easy, and difficult to get wrong.

As for servicing, it depens which servcie you are doing, for a 6k service you'll need, oil(part or fully synthetic), oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, a sump plug washer, odds and sods of grease and lubricant for parts round the car. Might also want to change the rocker cover gasket and half moons.

for a more major service you'll be needing swivel hub grease, gearbox oil, tansfer box and diff oil

I've not found any job too difficult on the disco, apart form trying to get the viscous coupling off with out the correct spanner. Do yourself a favour and spend a fiver on one, makes life a whole lot easier
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

ChrisW

Service for J reg disco
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 13:06:35 »

Music Junky

Service
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 21:14:45 »
Thanks for all the help guys :-) im going to service the disco myself and i will just have to read the manual carefully.
The engine has been rebuilt and has had a new timeing belt a few months ago but i like to service my cars every three months becouse of short runs.
Once again thanks for answering me and putting my mind at rest.
Darren

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal