AuthorTopic: Tyre Pressures  (Read 969 times)

Wolfie

Tyre Pressures
« on: April 03, 2006, 17:42:17 »
This is probably mainly aimed at Henry and Mike, but does anyone else have any suggestions for appropriate tyre pressures for a 110 running in Comp Safaris.

Less than a week to go until the first round of the BORC and the car seems about ready. Well apart from the tyres but these should be waiting for me when I get to Driffield.

Regards

Wolfie

Offline Henry Webster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Tyre Pressures
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 17:48:29 »
What tyres are you running, Wolfie?

I usually run my 205x16s at around 35psi on the hillrallies.  But I guess that might be different for a bigger tyre.

I do always use tubes, though.

H

Wolfie

Tyre Pressures
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 17:56:20 »
We'll be running the 235/85 Mud Terrains, which you'll probably say is a bit big but it's all part of the wider scheme. They might also be really useful at Radnor  :D .

Being new to this comp safari game, things like this are a bit of a mystery. I've always got on fine laning with the tyres at my usual on tarmac pressure.

Regards
Wolfie

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Tyre Pressures
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 19:44:54 »
always run at 26 psi on the 750 sats,

run at 30 on the diamonds (1 event) & apart from being twitchy on the wet gravel tracks they were bang on)
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Wolfie

Tyre Pressures
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:25:16 »
Cheers guys,

I think I'll try at about 30 and see how it goes. Not that I think that tyre pressures will be the cause of poor results, that will be due to the nut behind the wheel.

Regards

Wolfie

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Tyre Pressures
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:34:37 »
Quote from: "Wolfie"
We'll be running the 235/85 Mud Terrains, which you'll probably say is a bit big

Mmmm, I am free to change my mind though!  Just getting my excuses in early! :wink:

Seriously I am beginning to think about the benefits of the larger tyre - however at the moment I am playing to the strengths of my car, which is on the fast gravel stuff so lower profile and less side wall flex makes more sense.

30 sounds sensible - but play it by ear because the ground is always hard at Driffield and for most of the course grip will not be an issue.  On Mike's Scottish moorlands there is often a benefit to dropping the tyre pressures.

For example on the muddy stage of the Hillrally last year we toyed with the idea of dropping the pressures and then wacking them back up for the forest sections.

Cheers

H

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal