AuthorTopic: help need in fitting.....  (Read 3604 times)

landrovermad

help need in fitting.....
« on: June 13, 2004, 15:44:36 »
hiya all

i have just bougt a flashing LED warning light for inside my disco, and i dont know where Or what to run the wires off to power it! (yes i know i sound dumb,  :?  but electrics inside a vehicle is not my strong point :roll: ).  I am wanting it to power up when i switch off the ignition, it will power up, does anyone have any advice on what is the best way of setting this up?

craig

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 19:49:01 »
Hi
I had one of these on my old Niva it was rigged to the permanent live so it flashed all the time but it got on my nerves when driving at night so I got a reverse relay from lucas it breaks the connection when powered up thus killing the flashing light when the engine is running (if the relay is connected to a switched live , I used the switched live for the radio as the permanent live is being used for the radio which means that it is not needed) unfortunately (or fortunatly depending on if you like ladas) I sold the car so I can't get the relay number .
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Lucy-Jo

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 13:05:38 »
You don't need any special relay. Any relay will work. Merely connect it between the switched positive and permanent live rather than between the switched positive and earth.

I hope they didn't charge you a lot of money for the 'reverse relay' :!:  :?:  Did they try to sell you a left handed hammer whilst you were there  :!:  :?:

Landrovermad, you want to connect the LED between a wire that is always live, and a wire that only becomes live when the ignition is switched on. You should be able to find such very wires easily with a pin (to [ed - prod with a sharp implement] through the wires insulation) and a multimeter.

If you get the wires connected the wrong way around, you won't break owt, the thing merely won't work. In this case simply swap the connections over.

The LED will draw a miniscule amount of power, so you don't need to worry about overloading any circuits.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal