AuthorTopic: Why when you start a job you say I wish I hadn't started!!  (Read 608 times)

Offline dazzawhipple

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help deep in the cack

I have for 3 nights trying to replace the fixed towbar for a detachable one

First one I cannot shift the bumper bolts managed to get at the bolts without removing the bumper (All I will say is Cowboy)

Wot ever I can do I could not shift the bolts on the chassis that connect the recovery eye and the bars of the towbar.

So I start to round the head, to cut a Long story short drilling didn't work

so to plan z cut to tube off and replace with new tubes

Why did i start this????

PS What is the OD of the bolts that the recovery eyes attach to??

Darren
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Why when you start a job you say I wish I hadn't started!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 17:10:10 »
First thing, don't panic.  If it's the Southdown or scorpion removable it will use 12mm bolts, buy new ones.  You may need to use a 12mm drill to clear out the tubes before running the bolts in.  The original towbar will be 10mm bolts to the towing eyes and 12mm through the rear of the chassis.

Get an angle grinder, they are peanuts these days, and cut the heads off the bolts on the outside, make sure the sparks don't hit the fuel system.  Drive the bolts through the tube with a suitable drift, like a spare 10mm bolt held in a mole grip to protect fingers.

Assemble with copper grease.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 17:17:24 »
When you have cut bolt heads off wait a few mins :arrow:  then spray with WD40,:arrow: Leave a bit more then start hammering out with bolt or drift. T :D his is common on vehicles with original set up.
I have just made my own demountable version. will post pics when finnished. :idea:

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 20:12:26 »
DAZ, dont panic.....................ok , chassis bolts , buy some new bolts , find a local garage who have oxy.........heat gear, heat it up and they will tap out, I have never removed the rear bumper to fit a towbar, there is just enough room to get the nuts up above the crossmember, and feed the bolts through from underneath, ..........

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline ade666

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 21:32:34 »
well after owning my southdown tank guard for 3 years decided to fit it at the weekend. so snapped the first bumper bolt clean off other was a charm. then the chassis bolts. what a bunch of bas****s. in the end managed to start them moving with my stake ground anchor and sledgehammer. after that easy peasy. if i can do it mate anyone can
"matilda" disco 300 tdi, blue, x9 special edtion, alisport intercooler and turbo upgrade, tomcat external cage, ome lift.

"ermintrude" disco 300tdi auto es

Offline Sheddy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 22:00:51 »
I did this job tonight!!

I'll start by telling you what I found right at the end of the job.  If you look at the tubes that the bolts go through from the rear of the vehicl there is a hole right at the top.  Just big enough to get the tube on a wd40 can into.  that will lubricate the shaft of the bolt.

What  I did on the drivers side was to take the head off the bolt and drift it through.  You'll find that the bolt will hit the tank so be prepared to cut it when its half way out so you have more clearance.

The passenger side .... that was fun!  I ended up cutting the step off with my angle grinder than cutting the remaining step shaft in half.  Using a power hacksaw, I cut between the towbar strap and the step - this takes some doing.  That got the towbar free.  Then I used brute force and ignorance to wiggle the two halves of the step shaft off which left the two stubs of the bolt poking through the tube.  A pair of mole grips either end and plenty of lube were used to introduce some movement into the shaft of the bolt which eventually pulled free.

Not my idea of a nice evening but the jobs done ..... but I no longer have a rear step!
1991 Disco 1 V8 modded

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal