AuthorTopic: CV joint advice  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Benji

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
CV joint advice
« on: June 10, 2004, 21:40:55 »
Hey all,

Im getting a metallic - tinking noise from the o-s-f area of the car. Can only hear it when the windows open so it's not that loud. The garage reckon that the n-s-f CV joint is on its way out but they can't be sure until they take it apart (and take £250 off me for replacing it)!  :?

Ive just had a full service and a recon gearbox and new pads all round so im not sure if the noise might be to do with the gearbox.

The n-s-f swivel housing has just started to leak (maybe cos they filled it with grease on the service) but the noise sounds like its offside.

Ive heard two nasty loud clunks when turning tight corners slowly, once when the garage boss was in the car testing it, thats why he thinks it's the CV. (came from n-s-f).  Prob is im not convinced. There isn't any of the normal tell tale sounds that a CV joint makes, as in clunking on tight lock.  

Does it sound more like the wheel bearings need replacing?  I think they are the originals (104k) and is it a straight forward DIY job to replace them? Or does anyone think it might be something completely different?

Thanks in advance  :wink:

Ben
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
Ifor Williams box trailer (my office),
Yellow labrador with permanant 4 paw drive!
www.messypups.com

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
CV joint advice
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 21:43:50 »
You say you have had the pads replaced? Simply remve the road wheel and rotate the front wheel .... I bet the pads are rattling. Mine did this and I thought just as you did.....of course it may not be this, but if it is, it;s cheap because it's not terminal, faulty or anything ;-)
--
Neil

Offline richardb

Attack Member
CV joint advice
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 22:22:13 »
CV joint, How much????

I had mine replaced by my local independant a few weeks ago for half that amount.

If it is the CV joint it will show on full lock as you drive round & round in circles in a car park - preferably empty.

Get someone to stand on the outside of the turn as you drive slowly, it will get worse as the joint gets hotter. Make sure to run on both locks to ensure you indentify the right side.

Richard
His: Monty - 1994 300 Tdi ES
Hers: Nelson - 1996 TDi S

Offline Jubby

Attack Member
CV joint advice
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 08:17:34 »
Ben,

Ive just had mine replaced, It had been making a noise for a while, but a friend heard it and identified it as the CV Joint.   I had a leaking swivel also, on  the same side CV that needed replacing.

I paid £250 but if it goes before you replace it I beleive your in a Breakdown Situation, So better to be safe than sorry!

When they opened it up It fell apart, I think I got it just in time !

Jubby

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal