AuthorTopic: Audi 1.8T in Zook  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Evilgoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Audi 1.8T in Zook
« on: March 30, 2006, 16:18:09 »
Just thinking about engine conversions etc, not that I'll necesarilly do one on the zook. Being a bit of an Audi fan I was looking at light, small engines from thier range and found the 1.8T as used in the TT and A4.

the unit seems very small and compact, not much bigger than the Zooks 1.6 by the looks and is a fairly simple setup. Also it has a fairly flat torque curve and knowing what I do about Audi engines, this is possibly going to be remapable to get low end grunt anyway.

It shouldnt be any thristier than a 1.6 and should give all the benifits of a newer managed engine. Plus might actually help keep the weight down.

Any thoughts?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
Audi 1.8T in Zook
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 16:26:49 »
If your after low end, why not the 1.9TDi engine, get one out of a Golf and they can be 150bhp before you start tinkering  :wink:
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Audi 1.8T in Zook
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 16:53:26 »
Make a handy little racer that!  Having seen zooks with Swift engines in do the business on comps and hillrallies, an Audi engined one would be great.

H

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Audi 1.8T in Zook
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 17:02:06 »
If you can keep everything downwind of the motor intact, it should, in theory, go like the clappers.  :shock:

BUT, it's a big if.

BUT, it would be one feisty little 'riot-in-a-box'!  8)

cheers
 8)
Eeyore

You're mad, by the way!  8)
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Audi 1.8T in Zook
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 17:35:33 »
I didnt think of the TDi TBH and looking at them they are similar performance. The Petrol one develops 200BHP with almost no tweaking.

And its only a .2l capacity step.

Would be worried about the running gear's ability to cope though.

Now I wonderif a Tiptronic box would mate with the transfer case....

And yes, I' know I'm mad. Specially as I was thinking of getting an SJ to try it on :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Audi 1.8T in Zook
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 17:38:13 »
From what I can see the guys who have done the big powerplant transplants into an SJ have all also transplanted RR axles.  Maybe there is a point of weakness.

Certainly the Swift engined Suzukis that used to do the Hillrallies seemed to have no probems.

H

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Audi 1.8T in Zook
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 17:57:16 »
Quote from: "Henry Webster"
From what I can see the guys who have done the big powerplant transplants into an SJ have all also transplanted RR axles.  Maybe there is a point of weakness.

Certainly the Swift engined Suzukis that used to do the Hillrallies seemed to have no probems.

H

Making me think and SJ with solid axles might be a better bet than the vit with the independant front setup.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Audi 1.8T in Zook
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 13:29:18 »
Its possibly not going to be feasable at all. Cheapest engine I have found so far is £600 with the ECU etc, but of unknown pedigree. If its come out of a golf it will have been ragged to hell :(

When added up with re-inforcing the other parts and replacing some bits it just doesnt work out a sane price :S

Oh well

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal