AuthorTopic: Suspension Setup For Offroaing A SIII  (Read 3067 times)

Offline MOTORSPORT_SAFETY

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Suspension Setup For Offroaing A SIII
« on: March 29, 2006, 22:00:53 »
Hi All

Having changed my mind to what my series is going to be used for its now going to be my plaything and off road toy laning toy etc

Im not looking for super comfort off road hell im there for the smile factor and the challenge so comfort is low on the list of requirements, at the moment I have 1 ton rear shackles that are the extended ones, 1 ton rear springs and 1 ton standard shocks.

The chassis is bare apart from the engine and rear trans so access is fantastic and the axel is only half bolted in so at the moment a good time to change what I need to.

What would you guys out in cyberland recomend as an optimal setup for a series to be used off road on the rough stuff and also laneing

Im not that clued up on leaf springs so any help will be gratefully recieved

Paul

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 22:13:12 »
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 22:14:24 »
go for parabolic springs as there alot softer (not quite coil sprung soft but getting there) the standard leaf springs have no give in them at all.
and knobbley tyres. i think thats your basic set up.

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 22:16:58 »
Hi Mark

I was thinking parabolics and have fitted a set before and I know a few people who use them and say yeah nice and soft but they use landys mainly on roads so wanted a 2nd opion

Yup knobblys it is mate got a set of BFG Tracedge here that I got for £10 a corner as I have 6 rims and 6 different tyres here so got them to get me going.

What would you recomend for tires anything over another I am think all terrains and to be honest the difference in fule is not a major issues just want something that will do the job oh and look good lol

Paul

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 22:42:04 »
If you go for extended shocks with parabolics make sure the brake flexi hoses are long enough - I've put 18inch stainless steal on mine :wink:

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 22:49:01 »
Thanks for that

I will have a look at the brakes once the parabolics are fitted im guessing thats going to be the concensus then go for parabolics.

The brake line I have run so far has been the chassis flexi to the T peace and the line to the drivers side hub, not done passanger side.

Id like braided but only cos they look nice and BLING BLING lol anyone got a good source for parabolics, and braided hoses from

Thanks gang top marks allround again

Paul

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 01:09:10 »
I think  " British springs " do them but I would surgest " rocky mountain " as in my experience they last a lot longer off road . The idear of parabolics is not for the more comfy ride on road but for the extra axle articulation off road . You could also try one ton shackles ( which are longer than standard ) to give extra ground clearence ,I did this and have had no trouble from the props , but beware every time you change something you change the handling caracteristics of the vehicle .  The last and most important thing is tyres . Good off road tyres will get you more places than any tinkering with suspension will  . Have fun .......Al

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
Offroad Series 3
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 17:38:11 »
Hi, Mud tyres first, they will transform your offroad/laning, then, a good set of parabolics, job done!!!!!
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 17:45:39 »
If you are going to fit parabolics spend the money and get some decent shockers too as you will be working them alot harder.

We've used Chris Perfect parabolics to good effect on the racer with Monroe Gas magnum shocks.

Would also recommend Pro-comp shocks.

H

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 18:37:18 »
Not here to cause an argument but where is the concrete proof that para's give better articulation? Has there been a proper test done to see which actually gives better travel? It just seems an interest that when asked for better articulation that para's are given as read that they are best.

Just a thought?
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 19:30:59 »
Quote from: "MOTORSPORT_SAFETY"
Hi Mark

I was thinking parabolics and have fitted a set before and I know a few people who use them and say yeah nice and soft but they use landys mainly on roads so wanted a 2nd opion

Yup knobblys it is mate got a set of BFG Tracedge here that I got for £10 a corner as I have 6 rims and 6 different tyres here so got them to get me going.

What would you recomend for tires anything over another I am think all terrains and to be honest the difference in fule is not a major issues just want something that will do the job oh and look good lol

not really a tyre expert, but i have some 'amazons' (big square knobbles in a v shape).

as for parabolics, the softer the better, on or off road.

Paul

Offline trustyrusty

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 22:23:29 »
first get some 750/16  deepstones tyres, oil your standard leaf springs. save your money and go and have fun. driven right a series will go anywere that what land rover built it reputation on 8) . is yours swb or lwb?

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 22:28:18 »
Hi all thanks for the replys food for thought.

My landy is a 109 so a LWB

I agree driven right it will go anywere dont want to go stupid on it as im wanting it as a play thing but dont want to go over board.

Im saving up for a 110 for that lol

What are the thoughts on the BFG tracedge are they any good or should I just forget them and get another set, they were cheap thats why I got them and none of the rims I have here had matching rubber or leagal rubber on them for a full set.

Paul

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 23:05:41 »
Trac Edge is one of the all time great universal on/off road tyres.

H

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 23:13:10 »
Quote from: "Devon-Rover"
Not here to cause an argument but where is the concrete proof that para's give better articulation? Has there been a proper test done to see which actually gives better travel? It just seems an interest that when asked for better articulation that para's are given as read that they are best.

Just a thought?

i can only talk from my own experience, when i got my landy i did a bit of a test by driving one wheel up piles of concrete and stuff, and there was no noticable travel.
now iam well on with the rebuild, tested it again ( but with a trolley jack), and theres loads more travel. also when i bounce on it moves now.

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 00:17:56 »
I have tried lifting one wheel with the sky hook and got it over 2 ft of the ground before lifting the other wheels . I believe thats double standard springs . I have no writen published proof but have experimented my self . I would not go back to normal springs as the difference is like night and day .

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 07:58:03 »
From what I know of parabolics and normal springs, then the only "real" difference is that you gend to get more articulation out of a set of parabolics because they tend to bend easier (which is partially what gives it a softer ride), they do have extended shackles for the most part, which is going to allow the spring, regardless of it's shape assume a more flat nature (ergo the axle can go up further) and of course there is the added benefit that people replace a rusted up fused set of ancient springs with a nice new set of bendy greased well maintained parabolic ones, and oddly enough, they work better....
--

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 09:34:37 »
Just to throw a spanner in the works....  

My advice... get a good, new set of standard springs.  Make sure the bushes are all in good condition, set the springs up properly when you fit them and enjoy the smugness when you drive places in your Series that everyone says you can't.

Parabolics are nice... but a standard set of springs are *much* cheaper and in my experience will take you anywhere you want to go
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 13:09:47 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
My advice... get a good, new set of standard springs.  Make sure the bushes are all in good condition, set the springs up properly when you fit them and enjoy the smugness when you drive places in your Series that everyone says you can't.

Parabolics are nice... but a standard set of springs are *much* cheaper and in my experience will take you anywhere you want to go

Wise words as ever - can't disagree with any of that and when my Series 1 sees light of day again, that is the route I will go down.  But if you want to spend money then spending on parabolics and decent shocks is a good route.

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 13:38:09 »
the only thing i dont like about my parabolic springs is that the axles have a tendancy to shift left and right under the car when your giving it some round a corner
i have been tempted to try and fit a panhard rod to my front axle, to see if it makes any difference, but i'm not so sure i want to do this on my everyday vehicle.
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline James.Harwood

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 09:46:52 »
Have been thinking of paabolics for a while and not got around to it yet.

As for the braided hoses, worth every penny, smaller diameter pipe improves breaking preasure, braiding prevents damage from sharp objects.

i can only talk from my own experience, when i got my landy i did a bit of a test by driving one wheel up piles of concrete and stuff, and there was no noticable travel.

Tried this last year with a 90 csw, 110 csw and my 109.  Results suprising as the 109 went up further than the 90 and only slightly less than the 110.

Offline landykins

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 14:28:56 »
Thinking about fitting parabolics on my 88inch series 3 but we also went down the route of oiling the original springs and putting good quality shocks on (we went for old-man-emu nitros) and the transformation was incredible. It's a lot more comfortable on road and there was a big change in off-road performance as well (see my gallery for pics). I wouldn't recommend lubricating the springs with standard shocks as you'd lose the damping effect of the leaf springs. And the standard shocks just aren't up to this movement.
Land rover series 3 (Old-Man-Emu shocks, overdrive, 90 wheels+Colway A/Ts, Paddocks parabolics)

1.8 petrol Freelander (standard)

Offline rustprooflandyracer

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 20:07:26 »
Just fitted my ES3000's and they are so much better than the 1000's they are so bad it's a joke in comparision with the new ones. Now I can fully appreciate the ride of parabolics and it sits level at last!!!

Matt
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 18:56:23 »
Hi guys

Thanks for all the points you have given and you have given me a good amount to think about.

I had a quick scout around and asked at LR supermarket in speke about a set of parabolics and they said £400 as a rough guide.  Even if that was £300 for a vehicle thats going to get used now and then I cant really justify that amount on a set of springs.

I think that if it wont go anywere with the springs of the 1 ton then its going to be over my ability at the moment.

Iv decided to stick with the springs I took of my 1 ton the landy is only going to be kept untill I have bought and built a 110 then im going to go nuts on it  :lol:

Next hurdle Paint  :roll:

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 23:40:53 »
Quote from: "MOTORSPORT_SAFETY"

Next hurdle Paint  :roll:

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/  :wink: