AuthorTopic: A weekend trip to Scotland  (Read 2416 times)

Offline sleeplessparadise

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
A weekend trip to Scotland
« on: March 27, 2006, 17:14:18 »
John took me and the girls to Scotland this week, a rather special and memorable weekend for me. We went to celebrate Mother's day on Iona which was the final resting place for my mum's ashes. In the five years since she died I have never managed to make the trip so was thrilled when John said he wanted to test the disco out on a good long trip and how did I fancy Iona. It was doubly nice of him as he really isnt a fan of Scotland (no offence to anyone there he just dslikes all that open space) The trip up was wonderful and sunny and we stayed in the Youth Hostel in Oban (see pics below) from where the view was astounding. On Sunday we were rather rushed, ferry from Oban to Craignure at 10am, this was delayed as the ferry already in port at Craignure was having technical difficulties, this did give John the chance to have a full Scottish breakfast.........which reminds me does anyone know what the little triangular things were with his breakfast? They looked like pankaces or hash brown type things and tasted slightly of onion  :?: This was followed by a mad dash on a single track road to Fionnphort for the 12.30 ferry to Iona. It had rained all day up to this point but once on board the ferry to Iona the rain stopped and we had a lovely 10 minute crossing to the island. We walked to the abbey and looked round the graveyard. I lit a candle in memory of my mum and then we walked to the inevitable touristy shop where my girls helped me spend £58!!!! I bought a couple of lovely cross stitch kits for myself and they blew some money on celtic jewellery. At 2.30 it was back to the ferry and a 10 minute sailing over to Mull once more where we took some photos we thought might interest BTM  :D A more leisurely drive this time back to Craignure unfortunately there wasn't time to drive to Tobermory (the girls really wanted to see the real life Balamory too  :lol: ) Ferry arrived back in Oban at 5.45pm and then we settled down to the long drive home. Arrived at 12.45am and didn't even unload the car just fell into bed. I have to say though I am really looking forward to the trip again in the summer. We are hoping to go for a week and there looked to be some interesting lanes on Mull to drive although John will obviously have to look into the laws in Scotland and whether or not he is allowed to drive them!  Note the slick of power steering fluid running down the path from our disco!!! (last pic)

P.S V8Kenny, sorry I forgot to take your number with me!!! Will definately try to call for coffee in the summer though if the offer still stands  :D
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 17:21:57 »
some more pics from the trip.
NBH LOC

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 17:23:29 »
and one last one for BTM!
NBH LOC

Offline BIG UGLY PERSON

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 18:31:19 »
thats a scammell recovery wagon (REME) we had one in my unit!!! small world aint it. The views look stunning glad u enjoyed the trip, hope to get up north myself soon :D

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 19:39:04 »
Glad you had a good time, are you swapping the Disco for the Explorer?
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 20:20:37 »
Glad that you enjoyed it.
Bit of a trek though.

Like the Explorer, a real  'old' truck :D
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 14:54:34 »
Quote from: "jim-willy"
Glad you had a good time, are you swapping the Disco for the Explorer?

Don't think the neighbours would appreciate that matey, they already hate us for having three landies n a mundano  :lol: I would love something like that though and I wunt charge 70 quid for recovery  :wink:
NBH LOC

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 09:56:05 »
scotland brings back good memories!many a 2 week family holiday was spent there.used to go up with my parents,sister,anunty and uncle.touring round in convoy (2 caravans),absoloutly breathtaking scenary,and when the weater is good it makes the place even better.been to most places that you mentioned,mull is nice as is skye.when i was a "wee bairn" i hated it,it was boring but now i'm drawn to it's scenery and can see the appeal that it has to people!glad you enjoyed the trip!see you on friday at the shell garage!
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
Re: A weekend trip to Scotland
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 19:23:08 »
Quote from: "sleeplessparadise"

P.S V8Kenny, sorry I forgot to take your number with me!!! Will definately try to call for coffee in the summer though if the offer still stands  :D

No worries !
Sounds like you had a hectic enough time anyway - glad you enjoyed it anyway
I think you are talking about potato scones - nice with breakfast or cold with some butter on them  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................................................... :D
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal