AuthorTopic: New Tyres SJ410 Advice Needed  (Read 1511 times)

Offline shadyadie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
New Tyres SJ410 Advice Needed
« on: March 24, 2006, 22:09:05 »
I have an sj410 and have just had fitted a set of four 215 r15's. I was supposed to have had 195 r15's but that is a long story. Anyway I would like a bit of advice.

To accomodate the larger tyres and to prevent catching I was wondering if fitting 2" shackles would help. Having had no experience of shackles, is it just a matter of fitting them or do I need to do anything else? How will they effect the performance of the vehicle ie. engine, gearbox, steering etc.? Will the larger tyres put strain on my engine?

I have the option to go back and have the smaller tyres fitted but I quite like the look of the larger tyres, but I am worried about the effects of them on the vehicle. I have managed to stop the catching of the tyres by knocking back the bumper bracket out of the way, but I have not yet been of road with these larger tyres on so I am unable to say whether the catching problem has been solved.

:roll:  :?  :roll:

Offline suzota

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 22:38:10 »
if you fit longer shackles the steering might be lighter, but that depends on how large you go.

215's should be ok on a stock sj off road.
suzuki vitara on hilux axles with leaf springs.
35/13.50 mudzilla's
snorkel
twin t cases.
twin ramsey 8000 winches.
procomp e3000 shocks with 14" of travel.
more flex yeah baby
now with V12 power

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 22:42:46 »
i had 225/70/15's on mine.but didn't the usual body lift,had a 2" drop kit for shackles.i wouldn't reccomend lengthening the shackles.i was told by KAP and various other zook drivers that they just dig into the first steep hill you attempt.instead go for a pair of 2"lift springs on the front £125 from KAP.with a 2"lift you don't have to mod the brake pipes however just for piece of mind i would by some long reach shocks prices vary depending on your choice.i have seen the 2" front springs combined with a 2" shackle lift at the rear.but it depends on the budget you have i guess!i'm saving at the mo,planning 2" springs all round,extended shocks and poly bushes all roung.guna be expensive but worth while all round!hope this helps all though different people prefer different things!
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 21:06:01 »
I know folks have said otherwise, But I would get a set of extended brake lines. Lhama 4x4 sells them at very good prices and made to any length. :D
Shackle kits are ok but can dig in. A set of springs is the best option .
I make shock extenders if you are interested ! :arrow:

I would try the vehicle in an offroad situation before spending any cash.
You should not have any probs with the larger tyres although your speedo will be out a little so go carefull near speed camaras. I am sure someone will be able to work out by which percentage its out. :?:

Offline The Mongrel

Attack Member
Speedo accuracy with bigger tyres
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 18:48:38 »
Try this handy little program if you're worried about getting caught by plod.  Put in the original size and new size of your tyres and you can see the change it has made.

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/flamingmongrel/misc/TIRESIZE.zip
The Mongrel
--------------

'86 SJ413 | '00 SV650s | '91 MR2

Offline Hovis

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 10:44:16 »
Quote from: "bullfrog"

Shackle kits are ok but can dig in. A set of springs is the best option.....

Couldn't agree more. I've got stuck twice now purely because of the shackles, to steep to go back and they've just dug in the ground! They were a quick cheap solution to a big wheel problem.

I've cut the arches of mine out now, along the top of the indentation above the trim, and am going to weld new ones in. Hopefully that'll give enough space for the wheels. If it doesn't I’m going to get a spring lift kit from Procomp ([url]http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/acatalog/SuspensionSystems_Suzuki.html[url]). Seems to be quite good value.

With a decent set of tyres they are brilliant. My 410 had a set of Grizzly Claws and a small shackle lift, 1" at the most, they were small enough not to get in the way. It went almost everywhere it was pointed.

With regard to problems with speedo readings, mine didn't seem to go fast enough to have problems with cameras and plod!!
My Mum lied..............it hasn't dropped off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal