AuthorTopic: Mud tyres on Road....  (Read 3060 times)

Offline smo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Mud tyres on Road....
« on: March 24, 2006, 12:38:51 »
I know that tyres get discussed to death, but the only comment people make other than "this is better" is "noisy"...

Well, how do mud tyres REALLY behave on road, i'm in a quandry as i use my 90 for masses of miles 20+k (hopefully decreasing soon) on road, and yet like to play off road too, nothing majorly serious but definatly in need of mud tyres.

So, is it worth going for muds like the BFG MT's, Michelin OR's or similar traditional mud pattern and if i do is it going to turn my 90 into a wandering beast with no cornering or stopping ability??
'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 12:49:58 »
I used to have Road tyres (came with it) and now have swopped to BFG MT's.

There is an obvious difference, but it doesn't put me off, everything is OK apart from high speed cruising (or rather REALLY high speed cruising).

Where are you from? (if you click on profile at the top and add your location it'll stop people asking  :wink: ).

If there is a pub meet near to you, head down there and I'm sure there will be a variety of tyres in the car park and willing volunteers to demonstrate  :D
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline smo

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:54:27 »
Hmm, what do you class as "high speed" - i do a LOT of motorways and dont want to loose out there, perhaps a second set of rims with MT's on would be better but then its such a pain to jack her up and swap them everytime we want to go and play!

200TDi 90 Hardtop

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 12:58:59 »
It depends on what MT you get, some handle better than others, my opinion is that these are the best, based on write up's in the comics and discussions with other MT users.

Some have bad handling at lower speeds, but mine are OK at legal speeds, only getting too noisy and a little more wandering at illegal speeds (not that I do those  :twisted: ).

BUT.... some of my bad handling and wandering is due to the fact that it's lifted and has larger tyres, as well as them bing MT's.

I have spare wheels in the garage, I was going to have road tyres on the alloys and MT's on the steels, but I now can't see the point  :wink:

Get thee to a pub meet and try some  :lol:
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline smo

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 13:18:49 »
Well if i do change for a "permenant" set itll be BFG MT's or Micheling Off Roads which are near identical, the Michies are not herd of as much due to the massive cost but Costco make them quite attractively priced :D

If i went second set i'd get remoulds, Insa Turbo Dakars probably as they are another BFG-MT pattern but they still need to cope with 1-200 mile road journeys on occasions when we go on hold and plan to go laning whilst there.

200TDi 90 Hardtop

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 14:04:58 »
Quote from: "smo"
the Michies are not herd of as much due to the massive cost but Costco make them quite attractively priced :D

Tell me more  :D  How much ?
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 14:48:42 »
Here's my experience of MT's over the years, I've got General Grabbers on the Disco now.  :wink:

BFG's: Very good on road manners, even in the wet, no slipage on cornering or a reduction in braking.

General Grabbers: The same as the BFG's only slightly cheaper but on par with the perfromance both on & off road.

Colway's: Good grip but people know you're coming 1/2 mile before you get there!

Tacoma: Don't bother with them, no grip on a wet road, you really have to watch the corners, wheels lock under braking at the slightest sign of rain!

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 15:07:59 »
And my comments on the subject...

I've 2 sets of M/T tyres that I swap and change.

General Grabber M/T's...as Budgie said, excellent in the mud, loads of grip. Locked the wheels on tarmac one too many times for my liking. Lacking in side wall grip when climbing rut walls tho'. They also whirr around 55-65mph which can be annoying. Do yours do this Budgie ?

Pirelli Scorpion Muds...tread blocks can be felt at speeds up to 20mph so you get a vibration. The tread is wider and flatter than the Grabbers so they definately have more on road grip. Far less whirr as speed but like all MT's they can still be heard. The tread depth is less on the Pirelli's and they seem to be wearing quicker. Down to 7 mm on mine and they are becoming pants in sticky mud. The tread just clogs.

I've done similar mileage on both sets and the grabbers have worn much better. I now use the Pirellis for long runs and daily stuff, only put the Grabbers on when I know it's going to be muddy. When the Pirellis are worn out I won't buy another set. Both sets are 235/85/16's
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 16:32:33 »
I have had both BFG MT and goodyear wrangler MTRs

the best on the road were definatley the Goodyear wranglers.

quiet and good handling.  Off road the BFG seeminlgy had a marginal benefit

think also about the tyre width as thsi can make a difference on the handling to - the wranglers that were the 265 width handled better than the 235s in my experience.

hope this helps
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline smo

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 17:12:32 »
Hmm...so possibly go with a mud tyre all the time and switch to 265/75 instead of 235/85??

Somthing to consider :)

200TDi 90 Hardtop

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 21:03:06 »
Quote from: "Mace"
General Grabber M/T's...as Budgie said, excellent in the mud, loads of grip. Locked the wheels on tarmac one too many times for my liking. Lacking in side wall grip when climbing rut walls tho'. They also whirr around 55-65mph which can be annoying. Do yours do this Budgie ?

I don't get any whirring from them, nor have they locked on me.  :?
Mind you, maybe your brakes are better than mine and we don't have that may motorways on the island!!  :D

Edge

Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 21:05:35 »
Ive got the 235/85 machos (remoulds) and find them excellent in mud, but tend to get thrown around in the rain on the roads when cornering. If your doing a lot of motorway miles...Dont get remoulds.

Offline Hangover

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 21:18:57 »
Running 235/70/16 BFG MT's at the moment and except for some road noise they behave much as any other tyre but that really isn't the point because if i had to brake suddenly at a speed over 50mph in the wet and pulling a trailer is when you find out that you really could have done with some more rubber touching that road and with hindsight i wish i had fitted all terrains and bought some cheep MT's for playing in.

Offline davidjmiller

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 23:10:48 »
I'm running on 235/85 BFG MT's and they are fine on the road - my v8 will cruise at 70+ on the motorway and they are n't too noisy. Offroad - unless you go for something crazy - they are the dogs.

Go for it - you won't regret it.

David
1986 110 coniston green LPG-powered 3.5LV8   --- gone, gone, gone. Replaced by 300Tdi auto DISCO

Offline Mark2Disco

Attack Member
    • Northampton
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 23:24:49 »
ATS have a deal on BFGs at the moment
i got 4 fitted for £345 size 235 70 16 MTs
very pleased with them on and offroad
and they do look good aswell
Discovery TD5

Offline ringo

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 22:46:52 »
that is an excellent price. How much are the michelins at cosco ?

I went for the BFG's and am very happy with them off road and on road. My old tyres were a bit too worn and so when i changed to the MT's i was pleasantly suprised.

I also changed the tyre pressures and that has made the handling a lot better (28/40 i think).

If your doing so many miles i would advise getting some road tyres. Get some grizzly's on steels for playing in. It is a royal pain in the backside changing them - but you do 20k+ miles a year! Your twice as likely as me to get into a scrape where you will need a lot of rubber.
How often do you get off road ? If its a lot, then get the best quality MT's money can buy!
I recommend the BFG's but havent tried any others.

Good luck

Ringo
"Harder!"
"Oops"
1991 LR 110 CSW 200TDI

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 22:55:42 »
grizzly claws beat all of them  :lol:   :roll:   the best i had m/t wise wat the goodyear m/t that the g4 challenge used, brilliant on the road, excelent milage off them, and reasonable grip offroad, but that was then and this is now....bigger and nastier is better  :P

danny
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline smo

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 23:10:54 »
I got some mud tyres yesterday :)

Fitted some 265/75 BF Goodrich MT's on my origonal genuine boost alloys. First impressions are excellent.

I took them off-road yesterday straight after and they are amazing in the mud and water around salisbury where i tried them out and they handle very very well on road, so far i've done nearly 200 miles at all speeds in driving rain and nasty weather on road without any scares so i'm very impressed.

Got them at a cracking price to :)

200TDi 90 Hardtop

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 23:36:53 »
yes, i was impressed with there performance, but i moved on as doing bigger and better things, and now moving on agen to some 35" yano wots  :wink:

http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 23:40:08 »
i thought the goodyears where better on road though  :shock:

Offline bonio73

Attack Member
Mud tyres on Road....
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 20:57:54 »
Got BFG MT's on this Defender - good road manners, grip in the wet and , at the right pressures, good on wet grass, rocks, mud, sand; you name it.
Had SAG's on the last Defender - f@#&ing outrageous off-road, but the vibration, lack of grip in the wet etc on road was unbelievable!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal