AuthorTopic: Finally gone home!  (Read 1776 times)

Offline lrmike

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Finally gone home!
« on: March 20, 2006, 23:19:31 »
=D> Finally, the 1941 Ford GPW that's been resident in my driveway, either in whole or pieces, since before November last year is home!  The happy owner drove it home today, large grin prominent!  :D

The Jeep belongs to a local enthusiast who has had it for about 3 years now. The rough progression:
Original motor locked up.  The valves siezed in the block.
This was replaced by a remanufactured engine, which the shop who did the install could not get started (more on this in a minute).
Another enthusiast got it running for him.  Driven less than 200 miles (severe wobble in front end) and oil line blows out on engine.
The owner thought it was the trans had blown apart, as it had been making alot of noise.
He asked me to rebuild the trans (I had done another '43 jeep for him previusly).  Even after I pointed out the oil line, he had me do trans and t-case.
Installed freshly done units - Jeep wouldn't start.  Could not even turn by hand!  An inspection revealed that the rebuild had been built wrong - the thrust clearance was non existant!  No shims!
Rebuild engine with new (warrantied) crank kit and gears.  Repaired numerous bodges from the rebuild and the old install.
FINALLY got it together this weekend!   =D>  =D>

Now home to be enjoyed!

(More pics in my photo section)
If it's not leaking, it's out of oil

'94 Disco - PVMT SUX
'96 Ford F-250, 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel
'63 Singer Vogue (hers)
'98 Discovery - GREEN LN (also hers)
"Is there a floor in that garage under all that stuff?"

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Finally gone home!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 00:12:08 »
That looks like fun !!!
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Colin 009

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
Finally gone home!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 00:12:51 »
Awesome rebuild, Looks like new. 8)
Cheers.
Colin,
Shiny Blue Crew 009
                   "Everbody Has to be Somewhere"

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
Finally gone home!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 00:26:14 »
Nice work Mike  8)     Well done  :wink:

Dave
WIP ........ just Keeps Changing .......

SW

Offline lrmike

Attack Member
Finally gone home!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 17:51:18 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
That looks like fun !!!

It's a blast!  Makes me want an 80" even more!
Thanks guys - it was a LOT of hours!

'94 Disco - PVMT SUX
'63 Singer Vogue (hers)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Finally gone home!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 18:49:37 »
Is that the original Bantam engine then?  you don't see too many of them over here as the Jeeps often outlasted the engines.

Top Trivia, I have it on good authority that the 'A' series engine (Austin Somerset, Mini etc) was originally designed as a replacement engine for the Jeep and that's what a lot of them still have when you see them at shows in the UK.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline lrmike

Attack Member
Finally gone home!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 21:39:42 »
Original engine.  Not the original that was in the truck from the beginning, mind.  With the military, that was gone long ago.  It is correct for the truck.  They got a bit confusing, as the early engines had 'WILLEYS' cast into the head, even on a Ford built truck.  The Ford GPW was basically the same just minor differences in the body (the rear lockers, for example)
Don't really know about the Austin engine, but would make sense as many of these trucks were used and serviced in Europe.
To be a concours resto, this would have had to have all 'F' script bolts, and 'Ford' script parts.  Doesn't have the embossd tailgate, but still a correct Ford built unit.

'94 Disco - PVMT SUX
'63 Singer Vogue (hers)

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Finally gone home!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 00:17:38 »
I understand there are differences in the transmission too, like the Willeys had a biscuit type CV joint in the front swivels whereas the Ford (and was it GM?) ones had UJs.  And something about the 4WD system too, did it have a sprag clutch like the very early series 1 LR?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline lrmike

Attack Member
Finally gone home!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 03:38:59 »
Yep, you're right about the front driveshafts, the t-case, at least on the 2 I've done, did not have asprag, and I don't remember a reference to one in the parts diagrams or repair manuals.  We are talking a 1 way clutch when we say sprag, right?  or is this going to be a bonnet vs hood, boot vs trunck thing?  :)

The 4x4 is very similar to a series, except instead of yellow knob down, it's left lever forward.  Insides are almost the same.  Can't engage low range unless the front is locked, either.

It is pretty remarkable working with one of these to see the similarities between it and the early LRs.  Very obvious the reverse engineering that went on!

'94 Disco - PVMT SUX
'63 Singer Vogue (hers)

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Finally gone home!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 14:59:21 »
Yes the sprag is a sort of free-wheel (used on some starter motors too), I wasn't sure if the idea came from the Jeep though, but a lot of the successful elements of the Jeep were used on the original LR.  I think reverse engineering is a very polite phrase :D  but hey if it's not bust don't fix it.  
The original LR was intended to get Rover cars out of a financial hole using the aluminium they were getting in place of the steel they needed and gaining export sales.  It was never intended to stay in production quite so long.

Proves the original formula was a winner though :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal