AuthorTopic: Extra set of speakers  (Read 3777 times)

Offline dawdler

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Extra set of speakers
« on: May 22, 2004, 15:13:07 »
got given a set of 100watt speakers for BEAST

so I thought  WEYHEY I can have 4 speakers in BEAST now  

(the standard setup for the 3 door 1993 disco seems to be 2 speakers in the doors and thats it, BUT there is wiring form the radio for 4 speakers)

SO

after trying various manuals to see if I can spot where the additional speakers should be placed I gave up, nothing showed them for a 1993 Disco

mmmmmmmmmmm  

I saw a thread a forum about this, so, a quick search later and THERE IT IS

It seems that the wiring runs into the side panals just behind the seats in the rear (not the jump seats BUT the normal ones)

SO

I take out one the internal panals (3 seat belt bolts and load of silly platic pushing type pin things later) NOTHING, ZILCH, RUGGER ALL, no wires, nothing  

Right I thinks, I aint gonna take the otherside out just to find the same thing so I just put the sides of BEAST back together and instead decide to change that FOG light bulb that had blown earlier this week

As I have THAT panal off, i notice 2 wires with connectors on hanging around in the lrear light bit not doing much, 1 connector was bigger than the other

MMMMMMMMMMM I  right lets just plug a speaker onto those wires and see what happens

I do so and get SOUND out of the speaker    

GREAT

right o, here I go, so I remove the panals above the light bit and cut the holes for the speakers, fit the speakers, connect extension wire to the speakers and refit the panals both sides

GREAT so far so good

I then wire up the speaker on the passenger side first, test it, WEYHEY IT WORKS

ok

drivers side

erm

no sign of the wires for that side  

get torch out to look everywhere in that side, nope, NOTHING  

flipping heck

ok, this time I remove ALL the rear internal panals to try and spot the wires, still nothing  

(so far 2 hours to fit 2 bloody speakers)

Right time for 1 last try

with all the panals out I decide to remove the radio and see what colour wires it SHOULD be (Mr Haynes is NO HELP here at all, it seems that the wires change colour 1/2 around the vehcile if I follow Mr Haynes wiring diagrams)

OK found the wires, right, now I look at the bundle of wires in the rear of BEAST, ok, found them as they come out of the floor and up into the light bay

I follow them up and then they vanish into a MASS of other wires that are taped together (time to get knife out) I cut the tape and WEYHEY there are the missing wires and connectors, RIGHT by the roof where the cables go over the back door and down into the passenger side of BEAST

a quick wiring up later and I have 4 working speakers

Moral of the story?

erm

there aint one,  

BUT that was quite a way of wasting 2.5 hours this afternoon
200Tdi Disco 93'
Bearmach Rocksliders
Winch Bumper
T-Max 9000lb Winch
Rebel Diff Guards
Steering Guard
Marshland Rear Recovery Unit
Midland 98 CB
1.5/8" lift
Kingpin MTs
Safari Snorkel

Offline Wanderer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Extra set of speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 19:43:23 »
Hi Dawdler,
The genuine Landrover version of the manual may be nearer £40 but it's worth every penny.
There are 3 different version of the radio circuit on the 1993 models.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal