AuthorTopic: Any good for towing??  (Read 2243 times)

Offline jolie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Any good for towing??
« on: March 11, 2006, 13:53:02 »
I am thinking about buying a freelander ( currently have a disco which I love), But are they reaaly any good for towing horse trailers??  I like the freelander because it is smaller then the disco and more car like, I really want to keep to the Landrover base but dont know which is better.  Any knowledge  :?:  :?:  :?
Jolie

1993 discovery 200tdi

snorkel, diff and steering guards, chequer plate

www.dartonfabrications.co.uk

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Any good for towing??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 14:32:41 »
Haven't got the Freebie's handbook here, but I'm sure it's towing capacity will be OK for smaller boxes. The TD4 is quite a torquey motor so should provide enough grunt. The V6 would have no problem, but they are VERY thirsty!

We don't tow with ours. That's the job of the 110, but it is not a bad car. As you say, more car like than the Disco. It is remarkably good in the sloppy stuff around the fields, but limited on ground clearance.

Acres of leg room front and back. The 3 door is awkward to get in and out of the back though. Good boot space (my wife will vouch for that because she seems to use it as a junk shed!!) and the later ones have a 40/60 split rear seat which is useful. The earlier ones only have the complete seat folding down.

Careful with the 1800 petrol engines. There are far too many engine failures. Although we never had any trouble with ours for 2 years before we traded to a TD4.

HTH
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline fudge

Attack Member
  • Green Oval Recovery... Chl 30 Shout Help Im Stuck!
Any good for towing??
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 15:33:13 »
I have an 05 Td4.... Manual and tow 1350 KG's of caravan..... coming back from Cornwall last summer I got 30mpg too a a steady 60 - 65 running BP Ultimate Diesel and a Powerbox

Comming back from the lakes the other day I managed 38mpg with a missfire and no powerbox and I was shifting!

Freelander is rated at 1800 kg braked.....

I would buy an auto if I bought another FL.

Offline BAZZ

Attack Member
Any good for towing??
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 20:26:21 »
Jolie, if you look thruogh the sales blurb for F/Ldr you'll get conflicking info as L/R quote ott towing limits. Yes the F/Ldr will tow a trailer at 2000Kgs <> 2tons but not neccessarilly an H/Box or a caravan of the same weight, plus the Horse of course. There is a big differance between these and a fully loaded builders trailer. If in any doubt get it weighed before you commit yopur money. Bazz.

Offline Sider

Attack Member
Any good for towing??
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 22:28:12 »
Quote from: "BAZZ"
Jolie, if you look thruogh the sales blurb for F/Ldr you'll get conflicking info as L/R quote ott towing limits. Yes the F/Ldr will tow a trailer at 2000Kgs <> 2tons but not neccessarilly an H/Box or a caravan of the same weight, plus the Horse of course. There is a big differance between these and a fully loaded builders trailer. If in any doubt get it weighed before you commit yopur money. Bazz.

Just my 2 pennies. The weights stated in the L/R documents relate to the GVW that you can legally tow. That info should be on the trailers VIN Plate.

As far as I am aware, if the GVW of the trailer is above that permited by the towing vehicle, you are not suposed to tow it, even if the real weight is within your limits.

Same idea than the weight restrictions on roads. If the weight restriction says 16.5T, I know I cannot drive there, even though my wagon only weights at about 7.5 Tons when unladen. It is the GVW that counts.

Hope I made it clear, though I fear I haven't :D
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline jolie

Attack Member
Any good for towing??
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 15:20:21 »
Thanks for the advice,

I think I may be sticking with the disco, it tows superb and almost forget you a have a horse sitting behind you, I was mainly looking at the freelander as a car more than a work vehicle I guess,

thanks again

Jolie

:lol:
Jolie

1993 discovery 200tdi

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Any good for towing??
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 17:41:13 »
Quote from: "jolie"
...... it tows superb and almost forget you a have a horse sitting behind you......

Your horses are obviously better behaved than ours then  :lol: The 110 kicks and bucks like a randy stallion when ours are in the back  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline jolie

Attack Member
Any good for towing??
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 14:35:17 »
I guess I am lucky with mine, they  usually travell well, sometimes have trouble getting in the trailer if they ae having a stubbon day.......
Jolie

1993 discovery 200tdi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal