AuthorTopic: Tow Jaw to TD5 Crossmember  (Read 2290 times)

Offline 96Disco

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Tow Jaw to TD5 Crossmember
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:16:18 »
I'd like to remove the towbard on my '02 110 and fix a tow jaw to the crossmember for use as a recovery point.  Can anyone advise as to whether this is possible/advisable and what I'd need to do it?

Many thanks,

Phil.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 13:39:12 »
It's funny you should mention that.....

The cross-member holes are threaded on a Td5 (as I found out in the above thread)
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline 96Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 14:11:30 »
Humm, thanks, looks possible judging by the 'photo of SteveG's vehicle with the Scorpion recovery loop attached.  Will I need a spreader plate or is this built into the crossmember?

Also, whilst I'm at it, is it possible to fit a couple of tow jaws to the front bumper as recovery points?  I'm sure I've seen this on Camel Trophy and G4 Defenders, anyone know how it's done?

Thanks,

Phil.

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 16:08:38 »
Quote from: "96Disco"
Humm, thanks, looks possible judging by the 'photo of SteveG's vehicle with the Scorpion recovery loop attached.  Will I need a spreader plate or is this built into the crossmember?

Also, whilst I'm at it, is it possible to fit a couple of tow jaws to the front bumper as recovery points?  I'm sure I've seen this on Camel Trophy and G4 Defenders, anyone know how it's done?

Thanks,

Phil.

I had a tow bar/jaw fitted to my 90 when i had standard bumper fitted, used it a number of time, with no problems, was fitted at the mounting point to bumper. i still have the tow bar if you are interested, included the back plate required and bolts. PM if interested, may be a bit of a cost on postage mind??

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 20:25:03 »
Stiffener/spreader is built in, as there's no access to the rear cross-member face with the fuel-tank & carrier in place (as I found out)

Thanks,
Phil.

It is, but I'd reckon (standard) late Defender bumpers aren't as strong as they used to be :?
Either way, it'll need a strengthener/spreader behind it (& mounted as close to a bumper mount as possible)

Why not use JATE rings, bumper mounted 'D' rings, or an ex-military bumper with in-built tow-pin receiver instead??
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline SteveG

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 21:42:09 »
Hi Phil

I'm using rated Jate rings and a briddle for now, until I put on HD winch bumper eventually. The D rings are a good solution too.

I drilled out existing lashing eye holes and fitted them straight through. I used the type that have a recessed allen head bolts. When using the bridle I attach it straight onto the jate rings and bolt them back on, then tie up bridle out of the way when not in use.

I'll take some pics for you and post.

Cheers

Steve

Offline 96Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 22:21:11 »
Andy, thanks for the offer of the tow hitch, I'm getting the impression I should be looking at the simpler option of JATE rings for the front.

Bush Tucker Man, thanks for the information about the crossmember and your suggestions for the points at the front.

SteveG, pictures of your set up would be very helpful, also what do you think of the recovery loop as opposed to a tow jaw?

Appreciate all the help!

Phil.

Offline 96Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:12:55 »
Another question on this subject, if I may, has anyone used the recovery eyes Scorpion Racing sells which fix over the front bumper and bolt through the bumper mounting?  These look very neat on the website but I can't judge whether they're likely to be strong enough - you'd think the eye would rip through the mounting bracket under a heavy pull.

Phil.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 08:26:03 »
 These look very neat on the website but I can't judge whether they're likely to be strong enough - you'd think the eye would rip through the mounting bracket under a heavy pull.
Phil.

I've seen the pics, but I suppose it all depends on the relative thickness/strngth of  metal involved & the replacement of bumper bolts with good high-Tensile bolts.
I'm certain that they'll have been tested, due to the (sadly) litigious nature of todays society
Richard A Thackeray 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal