AuthorTopic: SJ Special.  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Stormin

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SJ Special.
« on: February 26, 2006, 20:41:10 »
OK you Suzuki men, how does this sound. :?   SJ410 chassis.  Astra 1.7 TD. Carlton gearbox.  Toyota transfer case.  Toyota axles.  Jimny suspension.  Mid mounted winch. All topped by a space framed body.  May even lengthen the chassis a bit.  Vehicle to be used for trials and challenge type events and will have to be road legal. Advice greatly appreciated. :D
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
SJ 410 (Rolled and now a projet)
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

Offline suzota

Attack Member
SJ Special.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 21:44:13 »
i know of a lwb vit rolling shell going for nowt.
suzuki vitara on hilux axles with leaf springs.
35/13.50 mudzilla's
snorkel
twin t cases.
twin ramsey 8000 winches.
procomp e3000 shocks with 14" of travel.
more flex yeah baby
now with V12 power

Offline Stormin

Attack Member
SJ Special.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 21:05:30 »
Thanks for the offer Suzota but I want to build a space frame.  Picked up a 1.7td intercooled engine today.  I should really say a complete Astra with power steering to boot.  Starts and runs perfectly.:-D £50.  An engine has just been sold on e-bay for £180.  :shock:  :lol: I've got a pair of Toyota axles lined up for £20 and may also get the transfer box.  Just need a Carlton box and decide on coils or leaf's. :?  :?  :?
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
SJ Special.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 21:14:33 »
coils without question !
I reckon it sound like a bit of a chalaange but should be a nice truck when done. :shock:
You might have fun registering it without getting a "Q" for the mismatch of bits  :?

Offline winchman

Attack Member
SJ Special.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 17:21:24 »
Get your sj, fit the engine, tell the dvla about the new engine Number, capacity & fuel type.
Get it MOtd and tax it.then over the next few weeks fit the other bits
You dont need to tell them about the axels, gearbox etc
If its still the same body style you dont need to tell them about the space frame construction.
This is the easiest route as if you build it as a new vehicle you will get a "Q" plate ( uncertain year of manufacture) and you will have to have a SVA test which on  a triler could be time consuming.
As the length why make it longer? get the axels as near to the ends as possible bob tail both ends if you can.
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
SJ Special.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 08:47:25 »
Winchman, you really do need to tell dvla about such major mods. They have a totting up system which tells you when SVA is reqd(mods to chassis or wheelbase are an instant SVA item)
Thats just the legal bit, what the hell, its up to the driver aint it :wink:

The chassis, good, the axles, good idea(I used Landrover 90 axles cos they are so cheap, and loads of bits available.

Jimny suspension.....get a life! If youre going to go to all that trouble, do some research and make a proper linked suspension system with looong shox and springs. Then you can make the axles earn their keep!!

Engine and box are good, Ive got both in my Sammi(Ive got a 3 litre carlton box in mine) they make a real difference.

A low ratio tranny box is a good idea also, Ive got 4.16 gears in mine and its verrrry slow in low 1st.

All sounds good, but junk the stock suspension idea, you can make it much better
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Stormin

Attack Member
SJ Special.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 19:54:28 »
The DVLA have a points system for tax exempt vehicles.  For a taxable vehicle, which the SJ is, I am informed that as I am using the original chassis, (as the lads in Scrappy Races with the Rangie ice cream van did), no sva test is required.  A mate built a Blitz Suzuki, space frame buggy body on SJ chassis, and that did not require sva test.  I'll make enquiries with regards axle/suspension mods. As to axles, Toyota (I can get a set cheap)  :)  Land Rover, there's a good supply at a local garage. (Though not as cheap).  :(  The more I think about it, I do favour leafs.  Less to modify.  As to lengthening the wheelbase, I will be fitting a mid mounted winch and occasionally there will be 3 people as crew, plus recovery gear etc..  Also less strain on rear uj's with longer travel suspension. (Longer propshaft).  That's the theory anyway.  :D  Thanks for the replies so far and any advice/suggestions, as long as not rude, :wink:  will be thought on.
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal