AuthorTopic: Engine will not stop running  (Read 697 times)

Offline DEF110

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine will not stop running
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:59:36 »
I just got a 1983 defender 110 with a 2.5D in it. Engine will not stop running when the ignition switch is turned off :?:  :?:
 If I pull the wire off the stop solenoid it will stop the engine. This leads me to think the solenoid is good and the ignition switch is faulty and keeping power to the stop solenoid.
The Hanes manual I have just points to the stop solenoid :?:

Any inputs will be a help.

Offline hobbit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine will not stop running
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 11:00:52 »
Sounds like as you say a permanent live from the ignition, for an immediate cure, fit a switch in the wire on the dash to isolate the feed.

Not up on defender wiring myself, never played with one, but if its  like rrc wiring there normally is only 3 or 4 wires out of the back of the ignition block.

Again going on what i've seen if it is this type of unit sometimes the electrical block on the back of the igintion switch unit comes loose and can twist, so even if you turn the key off not all the contacts break the connection, you can have a look behind the column plastic to where the barrel unit is
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal