AuthorTopic: any one fitted a sub & amp to rear of disco???  (Read 4964 times)

landrovermad

any one fitted a sub & amp to rear of disco???
« on: May 09, 2004, 21:49:37 »
Hiya all,

i was wondering if anyone has fitted an after market sun and amp to the rear of there disco? i hAave been given one by a mate who was bought himself a new system, i have installed these before into normal cars, but am stuck as where to run all the wires for it!.  Normally is run along the sill of a car, but seen as the disco doesnt really have sills it is a bit hard to! so your advice would be most helpfull

craig

ChrisW

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 22:07:31 »
Hi Craig

If you unscrew the trim panels along the door openings you can feed the cables along there, tucked just under the carpet.
My cd-changer cable runs this way, the cable can pop out anywhere you like in the loadspace - you just need to lift the carpet where you want it.

Is yours a 5 or 7 seater? I've seen woofers fitted in place of one of the seats in the loadspace with a bit of changing rooms mdf!  :wink:

Have a look at http://www.discoweb.org/ I'm sure theres a few pics of one being fitted on there - the site is undergoing work at the moment so may not respond or be slow.

landrovermad

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 22:16:42 »
Hiya chris

the type of thing im looking to fit is a 12 inch sub in a box and a seperate amp, so need to work out how to run cables, i just thought with there not been much gap between the sill capping and the edges i think they might get caught, or ripped!. (knowing my luck).

mines a 7 seater, but still have loads of room left once this is in the boot, dont really use the seats yet, just bought the disco and havent found any willing volunters to ride on them yet!! LMAO, wil have a look at the site to see what they have on

again many thanks chris.

Offline tonka toy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
sub and amp
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 19:19:58 »
craig,

i ran all the cables up the a pillars and under the trim to the rear, i have built a shelf in the top of the rear for  my amps and cd changer,this is supported by a dog cage.  

hope this helps

neil

landrovermad

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 20:46:43 »
hiya tonka toy

do you have any pics of what yuo have done?? im just thinking about running it under the carpet.

craig

Offline tonka toy

Attack Member
sub and amp
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 20:31:36 »
craig,

affraid i dont have any pictures , the reason i ran the wires high was so that they could not get wet when playing in water.

neil

landrovermad

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 22:05:29 »
ah good idea, thats one thing that dumb me has never takin into fact!

Lucy-Jo

Re: any one fitted a sub & amp to rear of disco???
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 16:34:59 »
Quote from: "landrovermad"
i was wondering if anyone has fitted an after market sun and amp to the rear of there disco?

After much deliberation and thought, I put an amp and extra speakers in my 300 Tdi.

The amp is under the drivers seat, whilst the extra speakers are mounted on a second speaker pod that I mounted on the rear door in place of the door pocket.

I had to attack the rear door quite carefully with a drill, jigsaw, angle grinder and file to make space for the backs of the speakers without compromising the strength of the rear door which has to carry the spare wheel.

I think it looks good and sounds better now. The speakers are only 6", but having four of them (aftermarket) does sound quite a bit more basey than the standard two.

More pictures on this page:
http://www.ejames.co.uk/pictures/katiemods/photoviewer.html

[/img]

Offline beggers

Attack Member
Re-sub
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 23:26:18 »
Hi
I'd like to fit better speakers to my 300Tdi. I've been told the rear two in the pillars aren't standard and it also has two in the rear door but I don't know if they're subs or not. I only have one rear compartment that I can fix speakers in is mine an early one ?
Second Disco 300Tdi and loving it !

Cheers

Beggers

Lucy-Jo

Re: Re-sub
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 18:45:10 »
Quote from: "beggers"
Hi
I'd like to fit better speakers to my 300Tdi. I've been told the rear two in the pillars aren't standard and it also has two in the rear door but I don't know if they're subs or not. I only have one rear compartment that I can fix speakers in is mine an early one ?

I'll take it as a compliment that you obviously think the twin speaker compartments look 'factory'  :lol: . No, no Discoverys left the factory with twin rear speaker compartments like I now have. I fitted the second compartment.

The speakers in the rear pillars were not fitted on the absolute base specification models. They were standard on anything above I believe.

The two speakers mounted in the single pod on your rear door are subs, and will be driven by an amp that is physically bolted onto the back of the two speakers.

Having said they are subs, they are only 6" subs, so not as deep and basey as the 8" or bigger that the boy racers fit. However, 4 of them, with a 500 Watt amp is more than enough bass for me!

Offline tonka toy

Attack Member
re-sub
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 21:06:34 »
beggers

you should try 2x4 in front door running of head unit(52w each)

2x6 in rear door pillars also running of head unit

2x8 in shelf above rear seats 200w each

and a 12" sub running at 750w
 :lol:  :lol:

landrovermad

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 20:01:45 »
just had a look at the pictures of yours beggers they speakers look nice especially doubled up!!

And the socket in the rear is a very good idea!!

craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal