AuthorTopic: can anyone help ??  (Read 276 times)

Offline paul and sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
can anyone help ??
« on: February 18, 2006, 23:43:50 »
me again ! we have finaly got the front  cover off and have removed all the bits that should not be there ie most of the broken dizzy drive etc .i now have to decide what to do. do i replace the gears and chain or do i leave them alone . on closer inspection i have found that the crank gear looks like a rpi fitting ie compisite teeth .the chain has a fair amount of movement in it , would i be alright to replace the chain and nothing else as the rest seem ok. any thoughts on this matter will be very welcome many thanks  :oops: :roll:

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
can anyone help ??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:11:27 »
On what vehicle?
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
can anyone help ??
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 14:24:52 »
IIRC this is your V* with a busted Dizzy?  If so then I'd firstly ask if the chain tensioner works correctly?

If the gears look ok and not significantly worn you could replace the chain on it's own, it will take up the wear and return things closer to original.  If you are replacing the gears think about an adjustable timing gear and get the cam timing spot-on.  In truth I don't think you need to bother though, just do the chain.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal