AuthorTopic: Out & About. Thursday 16th February  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Out & About. Thursday 16th February
« on: February 16, 2006, 21:30:53 »
Out again today, after the school-run :shock:
I considered coming down to Hinckley with SWMBO for the afternoon (or was it Leciester??)

Still, I didn't & had a trip up through Bradford.

Simmonites was on the 'to do' list, as I wanted to have a look at the Atlantic Green 'Heritage' 90 they have in stock.
It looks quite good, but in MY view follows Simmonites usual pricing structure :(kerching):
They did have a (slightly) 'tricked up' 90 in the showroom with a set of the Greenway Anacondas fitted.
Whilst there look like serious 'Challenge' tyres,  I can't think that they'll be much good on the road.
To me, the moulding of them doesn't look very good (seem very unevenly finished)

I did closely examine the NAS lighting set-up on a black 'X-Treme' style 90 inside. Very interesting............
I also wanted to look at a 'Piv-Lock' wheel-carrier as well, but didn't see one.
(both vehicles are on the 'Vehicle Sales' section of their site)

I paid a brief visit to 'Hallas Rough Park' for a cuppa (otherwise locally known as 'the flappits')
Even at 10:30, it was crawling with quads, I guess it must be 'school-holiday syndrome'??

Which leads me onto the actual 'Flappit' itself, a public house on the A629
As the caption accompanying the WebShots image states, this was a location where hides were flayed (to remove the last vestiges of flesh & hair) before the next step in the tanning process.
So, it's a corruption of 'Flay-Pits'

Mytholmes was also visited, along with a piece of UK cinematic history. The place where Bernard Cribbins shouted; "Oakworth! Oakworth Station!!"
This was indeed the location & his cottage is only yards away, it still has the atmosphere of a Victorian branch-line station, even down to gas-lighting!!
Haworth/Oakworth walk

Vale Mill is quite an unusual building, and one of not very many built in this manner in the UK (I know of one other in Derbyshire)
It hasn't been altered to accomodate the road, going by visual inspection, this is the original structure!

A nice 'pottering' day was rounded off by a trip to the new Borders Books near IKEA at Gildersome (M62/jct 27) before picking 'Small-Child' up.

As an aside; I've been told by another parent that a Plymouth (or is it Chrysler?) 'Prowler' has been seen outside the school one afternoon.
I'll be keeping my eyes open for that!

It'll make a change from the X5's, Discovery 3's, RR Sports & Volvos  :D
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

hingmy

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 21:45:41 »
For a brief moment i thought you said there was a border books bringing some culture into this midlands swamp - then i re-read and realised you were way oop north. :( . Foiled again. Glad you had a nice day out though.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 22:34:43 »
Forgot.

I spotted two 50th Anniversarys in Bradford
T232 PEF
The other was a 'R' plated Discovery near 'The Craven Heifer' pub, it had some of that stainless-steel ironmongery bolted to the front.
Sorry, not photo, as I was in busy traffic & in no position to get the camera out.

There was also a pair of Wolseys (or were they Rileys?) in a garden in Haworth (Austin 1800 'Land-Crab' sized) on the Hebden Bridge road

A yard at Denholme (near Hoyle Brothers 4x4) with about 5 GKN-Sankey cabbed Leyland trucks, including a (very rare survivor?) 8x4 rigid
I'll have to look-out for those again
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Muddi

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 00:04:25 »
Well today you havn't been a million miles away from me!  I live fairly close the the Flappits.  I have never been to that pub!!  Although I hear its a good one and many people have recommended eating there! Funny how you never  go to your local places isnt it!

Craven Heifer - would that be the  one on the old A650 between Bingley and Keighley??  not too bad in there, though not been for a few years now, again used to (they might still) do some nice grub there too!

So what motor do you drive??  Might of seen you maybe??
Just seen your photos - dont think I have seen you around - some lovely and interesting photos you have taken, I see you have visited a few sites local to me!  Some nice areas around here.  Great for dog walking, with good pubs along the way to stop at too!  :D
Stalker is such a strong word,
But I like you, I will kill you last...!    

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 11:27:20 »
Quote from: "Muddi"
Well today you havn't been a million miles away from me!  I live fairly close the the Flappits.  I have never been to that pub!!  Although I hear its a good one and many people have recommended eating there! Funny how you never  go to your local places isnt it!

It's all too true, someone recommended a pub to me in the village where we used to live, I'd lived around that village all my life until we moved to where we live now in May 2004 (& I'm 41 in October) & never set foot in it!!

Craven Heifer - would that be the  one on the old A650 between Bingley and Keighley??
I know it as well, but no the one I mentioned is the one at the top of Bradford on the roundabout near Morrisons & not far from the top of the M606

So what motor do you drive??  Might of seen you maybe??

As mentioned below in my signature block :roll:  :wink:
(but mainly this particular one)

Just seen your photos - dont think I have seen you around - some lovely and interesting photos you have taken, I see you have visited a few sites local to me!  Some nice areas around here.  Great for dog walking, with good pubs along the way to stop at too!  :D

Anywhere else you can recommend to me up 'your way' that I might have missed?
Not too 'touristy' & off the beaten track.
For example, I'd like to revisit Goit Stock Fall & rephotograph it on a better day
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Muddi

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 14:54:12 »
Goit stock is a nice place, as is Druids alter and lady blantyres rock, these can be both found at St Ives, in Harden - do you know it?? The canal is very touristy but still nice for walks -i.e the 5 rise locks and further down are the 3 rise locks in Bingley. Baildon moors you have already been to and I guess Shipley Glen (nice pub there) and I see you have been to Dick Hudsons - thats more an eating pub than  a pub nowadays - but still ok.  If you take the  road above Dick Hudson to the right and head towards Otley way there is a little pub on a bend (cant think of its name at the moment) thats nice and apparantly haunted!

Do you like walks , or prefer somewhere where you can easily access via motor?  Will dig out a few places, if you like?

Muddi wrote:
So what motor do you drive?? Might of seen you maybe??

As mentioned below in my signature block Rolling Eyes Wink

oops! I noticed that after  I posted the message lol!  :oops:

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 18:14:32 »
You were also very near us today...... I was even at the gildersome shopping area around 1pm although on a very different mission to you........it being Johnty's birthday next week buying something nice............for myself  :wink:
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 20:27:45 »
Quote from: "sleeplessparadise"
You were also very near us today...... I was even at the gildersome shopping area around 1pm although on a very different mission to you........

And why not spend his money???

East Bierley?
I was around there the other week, as there's supposed to be, but I guess it's gone now a folly in a garden with water features & windmills.

'Muddi'

I know Druids & Blantires.
I'll hazard a guess that the pub you mention is heading back towards
Menston??
Glad you like my photos, it's taken a lot of time, diesel & effort to get them
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Muddi

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 17:19:10 »
Yup, thats it! Its called The Hermit!  Nice little pub - worth calling in if your ever passing!

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 17:23:14 »
Well I lived in East Bierley till I was 18 then moved back to my dad's house with my hubby and family last June. Don't know where the folly is but then even though I lived here all that time I didn't spend much time here  :lol: You know how it is when you are young..........you never appreciate what is right in your back yard!
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 19:38:52 »
The folly was suppossed to be on Hunsworth Lane (I think), but I don't have the (LIbrary) book to hand.
There's a patch of wasteground, with a few sunken areas, I seem to think that's where it was
Richard A Thackeray 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal