AuthorTopic: Bent track rod  (Read 4661 times)

Offline davidlandy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Bent track rod
« on: May 05, 2004, 20:05:01 »
Chaps

Due to some enthusiasm at some point, I have noticed that I must have hit something that resulted in a bent track rod.

I straightened it with a crow bar the best I could but its still banana shaped. (wish that they had more strength than a mcdonalds straw)

My steering has an amount of freeplay in it which I assumed to be the pas box worn, but could this bent track rod cause this freeplay?  

thanks

Dave
  :?:  :?:
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Bent track rod
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 20:21:35 »
I would say it's unlikely that the track rod could be causing freeplay unless the rod ends are damaged in some way.

More likely to just be play in the box.  

Needless to say, you need to get the trackrod sorted soon, else you will start to scrub those expensive MT's
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kev90

Bent track rod
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 08:12:08 »
I would recommend replacing your bent track rod with a Sumo Bar www.sumobars.co.uk, available from Devon4x4 for less than £40.

I kept bending my standard track rod, but have had no problems since installing the reinforced sumo bar. However, one possible consideration is that if you 'banana' a sumo bar (although v unlikely) whilst up a mountain or deep in a forest, you will not be able to straighten it to get you home unless you are the incredible hulk (although you could straighten your standard one and carry that as an emergancy spare).

Good luck

Kev

Offline Big Watty

Attack Member
Bent track rod
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 12:40:02 »
Becareful fitting sumo bars - you run the risk of damaging the track rod ends without out which you won't get home!

You can usually get home with a bent track rod

Try tying a rope round it - fasten the other end to an immovable object (ususally another vehicle) and back away very slowly!!!

Offline Kenny

Attack Member
Bent track rod
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 13:14:58 »
I managed to bend a sumo bar from QT last year - Have not replaced so now got to replace my front MT's for the MOT. No wonder I keep getting stuck had the same amount of tread as a worn road trye.

I am just about to replace with a standard bar and get some under body protection as I keep bending them. The diff guard from QT looks like a good piece of protection for this poor design on the Landie.

Damian
Animal, ex BT Land Rover ninety
http://www.my90.co.uk

Too many bits too list..........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal