AuthorTopic: Diff lockers & LSDs  (Read 5269 times)

Offline davidlandy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Diff lockers & LSDs
« on: May 05, 2004, 19:57:06 »
What are the pros and cons of the main types of these - ie detroit, arb etc..

Anybody got these and how do they work ?

please advise

Dave
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 20:01:07 »
Dave,

Piglet runs Detroit Tru-Tracs front and rear. Essentially they are automatic LSD's. When one wheel spins 3 rotations more than the other, the diff locks using gears, not clutch packs. I like them. Most people have one of these and a true locker. I got a VERY good deal for these....and only replaced my normal diffs when they needed doing.
--
Neil

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 20:08:09 »
Neil

do u mean like an lsd on the front and a locker on the back?

what difference has it made to Piglets ability?

Dave
Dave

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 20:14:33 »
He can push himslef further into a situation he needs to towed/winched out of. In belgium he buried his rear diff into a bridge :(
--
Neil

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 20:30:33 »
There are a few different types :

Limited Slip Differentials : Available in a number of types, these will limit the amount of slip that can occur across the axle.  They are usually not a locker in the sense that if you stick one wheel in the air, it will spin. (The diff doesn't lock solid)

Automatically Locking Differentials : These work in a similar way to the above, detecting wheelspin but this type will lock the diff solid.

Positive Locking Differentials : Using mechanical, air pressure or vacuum methods, these are manually controlled and will lock the diff solid.

My set up is as follows :  

ARB Air locking differential on the rear.  Provides positive traction at both wheels, regardless of conditions and contact with the ground.  Under manual control, means that I can engage it *before* I loose traction.

Tru-Trac Torque Biasing LSD on the front.  Provides 'soft' transfer of power across the front axle, works automatically, and due to the fact that it continues to work as a diff has a much lesser effect on the steering than a full locker.

I am not a fan of automatic full lockers, or putting full lockers in the front axle, which is why I went for the setup I have.

Hope this helps.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kev90

Lockers
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 08:26:28 »
Dave,

I run ARB locking differentials front and rear.

I chose ARBs because I wanted the option to drive without lockers in certain types of terrain - such as side slopes.

With a detroit automatic locker for example, the diff is effectively locked all the time, until the there is sufficient traction (i.e. on tarmac) for the dog clutch to operate and prevent diff wind up. This can cause loss of traction on side slopes and also makes the car less well manored on road as it wants the car to go in straight line.

ARBs can be engaged whenever you feel they are neccesary - I dont use the front locker very often, but it has got me out of some tight spots! I also use the lockers whenever I think halfshaft breakage is on the cards as it provides good protection against this.

I would recommend installing a rear ARB as Tim has to start with. You can upgrade and put a front one in the future if you feel you need one or when you break you current diff.

Kev

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 20:35:45 »
How do lockers coexist with traction control?  I've heard that reinstating the central diff lock on a Disco II requires the TC to be disabled when the CDL is switched in, to avoid transmission windup.  Is this true, and if so, what happens when you put lockers in the axles too?

Thanks,
David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline diesel_boy

Attack Member
  • NUTTER
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 21:41:29 »
bring  ted round the workshop and ill weld up ur diffs   lol   ya wont get to stuck then  lololo :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
2door rangie beeing bob'erd    
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/diesel_boy
sam@northants4x4.com

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 22:41:35 »
Sam

u really worry me u do!

lol

Dave :wink:
Dave

Offline diesel_boy

Attack Member
  • NUTTER
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 22:44:34 »
cheeper than forkin out  about a grand for 2 lockers aint it   lol
2door rangie beeing bob'erd    
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/diesel_boy
sam@northants4x4.com

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Diff lockers & LSDs
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 23:03:09 »
Dave,

Sling an ARB in the back. Leave the front would be my choice if I won the lottery.

If not an ARB go for a Detroit. Ashcrofts sell them (and fit them).

Guy

(No centre diff lock let alone a diff locker.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal