AuthorTopic: has any one fitted a remote engine start?  (Read 7795 times)

landrovermad

has any one fitted a remote engine start?
« on: May 05, 2004, 16:25:31 »
hiya everyone  8)

i have just bought my first discovery and am pleased with it, but am looking to fit a remote engine start alarm to the vehicle, it is an automatic so the hassel with leaving it in gear wont cause a problem, and even better my insurance comapny (adrian flux) are okay about me having one fitted!!!! :shock:.

what im wanting to know is if anyone has fitted one to there discovery, reason been i have spoke to several companys and they are split 50/50 some saying you can fit them and others saying you cant due to LR's factory fitted system.

can anyone help me out????  :idea:  :idea:

Craig

Offline davidlandy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 19:24:54 »
Hi Craig

welcome to the club m8

I dont know anybody myself who has fitted one of these , why do you want one ?

Dave
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

landrovermad

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 20:42:34 »
hiya dave

thanks for welcoming me to the forum.

the reason why i want one is:-

1) to save having to defrost on a cold winters mornings.
2) and just because they are well wicked seeing a 4x4 start up by itself, the look on people's face's are a picture!!  :o  :o  :shock: !! LMAO.

craig

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 20:56:03 »
Hi Craig,
Welcome aboard.
Is it petrol or diesel?
Webasto do a diesel pre heater so the circuits for detecting the engine has started should be available.
On a petrol it should be easier.
The main problem I see is stopping the alarm and then detecting that the engine has stated so that the starter can stopped from turning.

Could be an interesting project.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

ChrisW

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 20:56:58 »
Hi Craig, welcome to the club.

Is it a diesel or petrol you're thinking of fitting this to?
Diesel on tick over will take an age to warm up, petrol - can you afford it?!

I'd say you're best bet is to go for a pre-heater of some sort, there's either on board systems or ones you can plug into the mains overnight.

Kenlowe and Eberspacher or the main market leaders.

Wadyathink?

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 21:59:28 »
Isnt it illegal to leave your motor running unattended?

......ok on private land of course!!!
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 22:30:52 »
Someone has pointed out that my earlier message sounds like I think the webasto starts the engine of the vehicle. I was refering to the fact that the websto must detect it's own system has "started".
Thinking about it.

Does the oil pressure come up to working pressure quick enough to use that to detect that the engine has started so that you can stop the starter motor.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 20:29:07 »
Quote from: "davidlandy"
Isnt it illegal to leave your motor running unattended?

I don't think it's illegal per se, but if it's unattended with the engine running and somebody drives off with it, the insurance won't pay up.

On the other hand ISTR last winter the police booking a couple of people who'd left their cars unattended whilst defrosting the windscreen with the engine running.  I don't know on what basis this was, or whether having the doors locked would have made a difference.

David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

landrovermad

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 21:46:29 »
hiya all (300 tdi discovery)

sorry about not relying back sooner, thanks for welcoming to the forum.

I have seen the systems you all have mentioned, the seem a good idea, but there is something different about having a remote start engine I know its a gimick but its an excellent gimick!

i know it will take ages to warm up a Tdi, but a few minutes before you get into one possibly will make a slight difference!! (i wish).

the point made about leaving an engine running when not in a vehicle all depends on the insurance company and the type of system fitted, i know clifford do a system where if the engine is running and alll doors are shut as soon as the system senses the door open it shuts the engine off and sets off the alarm!, or even if sensors in the car detect something. ( i know this cause on of mates has one fitted to his french sh*ty peugeot 306!!!, as soon as you try to do anything it shuts down).

im going to have a few words with a few companys to see what they say, but please keep replys flowing

craig

Offline beggers

Attack Member
remote start
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 16:31:47 »
Hi, I know it's not on my Disco but I have a remote starting alarm fitted to my Volvo V40 diesel. The alarm is a Clifford Concept 600 with intellistart. The car is a manual and there is a sequence to go through to set it up for remote starting, I don't know about the auto's. It's an excellent thing it can be set to start if the temp drops below a preset level or if your battery drops below a preset level. As for someone driving off with it the car stays fully locked and the alarm still works untill you open it with the keyfob. I hope this helps. If you're from the northwest I could put you in touch with the guy who fitted mine, it takes about 2-3 days I think. :D  :D
Second Disco 300Tdi and loving it !

Cheers

Beggers

Offline MZ6666

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 16:53:09 »
CAN YOU GET A "REMOTE START...AND DRIVE YOU HOME FROM THE PUB?"
I'D BE INTERESTED IN ONE OF THEM :wink:
'DONK' =1993 200 Tdi BEAST- 2"ish BRITPART/PRO-COMP LIFT,MODULARS/BFG MUDS ,K&N FILTER,HUGE INTERCOOLER,SNORKEL/+BREATHERS,MILEMAKER HYDRAULIC WINCH ON A DISCOPARTS BUMPER,STEERING/TANK/DIFF GUARDS,MIDLAND 98 CB,FRONT/REAR ENDS a'lA MAD MAX
'BURBLE' - 1995 DISCOVERY 3.9 V8 ES LPG
3" PRO COMP, 265/75's BF GOODRICH,TDS GOLDFISH WINCH,WINCH BUMPER, TANK/ DIFF  GUARDS, FLEXI ARCHES,CHERRY BOMB!! more to come !!   
'BERTA' - 1995 DISCO 300tdi ES - standard, My Wife's
'VRUM' - SUZUKI 1200 BANDIT -modded ;-)

Offline beggers

Attack Member
Remote Start
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 18:34:05 »
Hi,
Yes I think they're called a girlfriend !!!!!!!!!!!!!
make sure youu get the right one though, not the wife model they just cost money and don't work. lol
 :lol:
Second Disco 300Tdi and loving it !

Cheers

Beggers

Disco Davy

Remote Start
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 17:52:32 »
I have a remote starting alarm system fitted on my Auto Disco TDi. I bought it on EBay for about £100.00 and it cost about £150.00 to get it fitted - It's the biz it has a pager type remote that feeds back the status of the vehicle. It is an american alarm MANIX is the make. On the legal side the car is still locked and if the door is opened the car shutsdown and is disabled. It comes with a spare remote  and the remote can be programmed to control other cars of the same type of alarm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal