AuthorTopic: Swivel housing grease in the axel?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Swivel housing grease in the axel?
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:14:32 »
Well I am a grease monkey! Yesterday I went to check the level of oil in the front axel. When i removed the level/fill plug a thick dark gray substance came gushing out! After a bit of head scraching i came to this conclusion: I had overfilled one of the swivel housings with grease because of this it must have built up presure and found its way into the front axel. Does that sound about right?
My plan of action is this. I have left it overnight with the level pugs left out of the swivel houseings so they should be at the right levels now (does it have any affect on the leveling of the grease if the front wheels are streight ahead or on full lock? I left mine streight ahead) I then drained the front axel and plan to fill it with the right oil and drive 20 miles of so and then change the oil again. I'll probable do this two of three times to try and clear out some of the swivel housing grease.
Does anyone know if the seal between the swevel houseing and the axel, stoping the swevelhousing grease geting into the axel, Is that seal now permently damaged? or will it setle back down and keep the swivel houseing grease in the right place? And do I need to worry about any damage in the front axel that may of been caused from having swivel housing grease in there?
Am I doing the right thing by trying to flush out the axel with a few oil changes?

Thanks alot sorry about the bad spelling still learning!

Jonny

Offline paul_humphreys

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:00:57 »
If you are getting grease in the diff houseing then the seal has gone/leaking. You will need to change it. Changing the oil in the will make no driffrance as the grease will pass the seal anyway and its back to where you started. The only problem is do you know whitch side is leaking?

Paul
LC 80 series 1993. 285/75/16s Cooper STTs, OME 850s on the front with 25mm packer, 868s on the rear. 4.88 diffs. Winch bumper with 12000lb winch. Factory lockers. HD rear bumper with wheel carrier and winch mount.

http://www.crag-uk.org

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 14:48:42 »
the grease shouldnt make much odds if its in the diff housing,specially if you are planning on changine the diff oil & the swivels,did u use a 1 shot sachet per side??? that is the correct amount for the swivel,
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 19:37:00 »
Yes I did use the one shot grease..... but I forced some more in there! Is it a big job to change this seal? and If im changing this seal (what the name of the seal between the swivel houseing and the axel?) should I also do the sweivel houseing seal as well?

Paul, the tailgate it now on and doing fine still not got round to trying the shokes!

Offline paul_humphreys

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 20:59:39 »
Ok theres no rush on the shocks.

I think its a oil seal in the axel, I have never changed one as I seem to break the axels before they need doing.

Paul
LC 80 series 1993. 285/75/16s Cooper STTs, OME 850s on the front with 25mm packer, 868s on the rear. 4.88 diffs. Winch bumper with 12000lb winch. Factory lockers. HD rear bumper with wheel carrier and winch mount.

http://www.crag-uk.org

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 21:10:51 »
If I remeber right the oil seal is to prevent oil from the diff casing entering the swivel, it doesn't work the other way quite as well so don't assume it's f***ed just yet, it can easily spread to allow the grease through.

Also, the oil will turn dark grey anyway if it's been in a while, it picks up the metal from the diff as that wears.

The swivel grease won't do any harm whatsoever, it's designed for a much harsher environment than the diff anyway, probably do some good.  Originally both swivels and diff ran on EP90 anyway :wink:

Is it leaking to the outside, if not stop panicking.

Changing the seal can be done by pulling the complete swivel from the axle and prising the seal out, along the half shaft and removing.  It's located in the axle end of the swivel ball itself.  If doing the swivel seals I'd do the axle seals but TBH not the other way round, if the swivels are ok, leave well alone.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 21:59:44 »
Thanks for that that does put my mind at rest. I found that the breather on the axel was blocked so I have cleared that which Im told could create problems as well. I have changed the oil twice now so and after what you have told me I think Ill just monitor it from now on.

Thanks alot for your help evryone its been a great help.......can anyone help me with my shocks on the air surspension! (see other post)

Jonny

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 12:07:49 »
Well call me stupid if you like but it crosses my mind, if you took some of the white foamy stuff that mixing oil and water produces and put it in a blender (or a diff) would it not come out in a grey sludge?
Maybe water has got in through the axle breather when driving in deep water!!
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 22:17:50 »
well sooty, the deepest water I have been through is puddles! but thanks for the advise I have check the breather now and it seems to be ok

Jonny

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal