AuthorTopic: sedimentor  (Read 598 times)

Offline ade666

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
sedimentor
« on: February 11, 2006, 16:19:11 »
hi all again. does the disco need the fuel sedimentor. its seems that the defender doesn't have one. if not can it be by passed and would this have any effect on the engine. whilst i'm here both my diffs are leaking oil from around the prop end whats involved chaning the seals if thats the problem
"matilda" disco 300 tdi, blue, x9 special edtion, alisport intercooler and turbo upgrade, tomcat external cage, ome lift.

"ermintrude" disco 300tdi auto es

Offline blacknight

Attack Member
sedimentor
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 17:48:23 »
I had this on my 300Tdi.

It is possible that the breathers on the top of the diffs are blocked and the pressure build up is causing the propshaft seals to leak oil. I checked them by removing the filler/drain plug and blowing down the breather pipes, I found that the rear one on mine was blocked.

If this is the problem there are kits availiable to fix this.

I solved the problem by purchasing a coil of nylon tubing from a local compressor/pneaumatic dealer(think it was 4mm i.d. and cost £8.00 ish for 30m). I removed the breather from the diff and cut the old pipe from the nipple. Soaked the breather in Jizer to clean it, warmed the nipple with a lighter and forced the new nylon pipe on.

While replacing these breather pipes I also did the transfer box and gearbox as well, and, extended them up to the air filter box so if wading there is less chance of water finding it's way into the diffs.

Don't know about the fuel sedimentor though.

Nigel
1996 Discovery 300 Tdi Auto, 3 Door.
1992 Range Rover 3.9 V8 Auto - LPG & 3" Lift. *Now been sold*

Formally known as pj2629 but had to change Username due to Club Reps memory problem!!!

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
sedimentor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 16:11:04 »
its common to bypass the sedimenter as it causes problems witht he pipes coroding & spraying fuel out all over the shop,8 inchs of rubber fuel pipes does the job ;)
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline johnpirate

Attack Member
sedimentor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 23:05:36 »
My disco had the sedimentor removed before I bought it ,but I,m on the lookout for a replacement .I like the sedimentors although they could do with being in a better place.My 2a LWB had a sedimentor fitted and the crap and water it collected and saved from getting through to the pump was amazing.Mind you I now run a 50/50 veg oil mix so  the sedimentor is more suitable for what I do.On the breather pipe issue I had the rear  one blocked  and  the diff pressurised causing the hub oil seals to blow .I didnt realise it had happened until the inner wheel bearing collapsed on my way back from Southport .It shot across all three lanes of the M62 scary experience.I should have checked better because it did the same again to the other side.
1996 Defender 300Tdi Truck cab Ifor Williams top
1955 Austin Champ Rolls Royce power!!     
1955 BSA Bantam 125cc                                        
If you cant fix it with Duct tape you havent used enough duct tape.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal