AuthorTopic: Yet another winch question  (Read 872 times)

Offline tim-green

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Yet another winch question
« on: February 10, 2006, 11:24:16 »
Have now decided to buy a winch for my defender, have shopping list of winch, winch bumber, 2nd battery and split charging system.
Any recomendation on what sort to buy?
Was thinking in the area of superwinch epi9 9000Ib winch,  scorpion extreme winch bumber , exide deep cycle battery and national luner charge system....Good...Bad?  or as the wife says "over the top!!"

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 11:48:53 »
The ep9 is a perfectly reasonable budget winch. If you are not going to hammer it daily, it will do you just fine. I've had one on my 110 for a couple of years and the only problem I've had related to a pin coming loose in the controller plug.

I just run mine off the main battery. Again, if you are not hammering it in challenge events or the like, it will be fine. Just leave the engine running while you are winching and you won't have a problem. My split charge is only for a small battery in the back because I use rear work light a lot during the winter and a V8 generator gets a bit expensive  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline tim-green

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:52:42 »
Did you use Wire Cable or Synthetic Winch Rope? I hear pro's a Con's for both?

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:04:38 »
Unless you have a really good reason for it (ie. you are running 'expedition' type equipment or a lot of site lighting) I'd forget the split charge system and save some money.

If the winch is for occasional use... keep the steel rope on it for now...  look after it and make sure you clean it after every outing.  (The same applies for synthetic ropes too)   Nothing especially wrong with steel rope, the synthetics are arguably better, but if you give your winch and any operations inviolving it the respect they deserve, then you will be fine.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 12:05:15 »
I asked on here about that a while ago!

Mine was supplied with wire rope and I chose to stick with it. Again, it's down to the use you put it to. The synthetic rope degrades in sunlight and can get damaged easily on rough surfaces. The wire rope is heavy and more difficult to handle, but it copes with sharp rocks, etc better. It's also a lot cheaper!
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 12:06:35 »
Ah, the same advice from the same person that I got when i asked the question!!  :D
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 12:09:13 »
Quote from: "V8MoneyPit"
Ah, the same advice from the same person that I got when i asked the question!!  :D

:-)   I am consistent every so often  :-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 12:14:17 »
As an aside, how do you wash your cable? That isn't a personal question, I mean the winch cable  :lol: It's always a bit dodgy running a rag along a wire rope. The last time, I reeled it out along the drive and brushed it off with soapy water. Didn't acheive a brilliant result though.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 12:20:17 »
I use a hose pipe and a bucket... but then I run Plasma on mine ;-)

Cleaning steel should always be done with GOOD gloves on...   you can pick up cuts and abrasions from any rope due to the muck in it, but with steel there is always the added fun of rogue steel strands.

For steel, I used to rinse it off with the hose, then get a nice heavy rag covered in oil and work along the rope to make sure it was oiled.   Then spool it back on and all should be fine.   Did this for many years and the rope was fine.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 12:20:44 »
On a steel winch rope, using a pair of heavy leather gloves, I soak a rag in wd40 or duck oil and run the cable out give it a couple of cleans with this and keep adding more oil as I go on the rag, to clean the muck off, and when winding back in use a spray of oil to keep the rust faries away, also clearing any sprags of wire in the cable for safety's sake
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal