AuthorTopic: Landcruiser/Discovery  (Read 3523 times)

Offline toger

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Landcruiser/Discovery
« on: February 07, 2006, 21:42:25 »
Can a Land cruiser better a Discovery off road please?
Regards
Toger
2001 Disco2 Td5
www.onthelashwithtoger.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 21:54:34 »
Yes, it can
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 23:23:03 »
MMMmmmmm, gimme an LC anyday..... mind you, not cheap to mod!

But those famous indestructable axles :)

Offline toger

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 20:48:18 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Yes, it can

Please tell me more tim
Regards
Toger
2001 Disco2 Td5

defenderdan

Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 20:51:40 »
Anything should be able to better anything with the right mods and pilot

Offline toger

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 21:11:25 »
Quote from: "defenderdan"
Anything should be able to better anything with the right mods and pilot

I understand that :D
I was thinking more about fuel return, ease of mods, confort and repair bills :D  :D
Regards
Toger
2001 Disco2 Td5

Offline SuzukiShrek

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 23:44:57 »
Ooh, what a debate to start "is a TLC better than a Disco!"

Firstly, which TLC are you refering to?

Well, I don't own a Disco and I don't honestly think I'd dash out and buy but that's mostly because everybodies got one (relatively speaking of course).  I do own a TLC series 80 and that's what I'll base ny opinions on.

To answer your questions:
fuel return,

He, he, he, he. Ha, ha, ha, ha.  What?  You don't buy a TLC and ask questions about fuel - they are not synonymous terms.  Why do you think oil shieks use them?  'Cos they can afford to run 'em.   :wink:

ease of mods

I refer the speaker to my aformementioned answer:  He, he, he, he. Ha, ha, ha, ha.  What?  Expensive.  Very expensive.  In fact extremely expensive, largely because there's not many places in the UK doing mods, mostly Oz or the Good ol' US of A.  What mods do you want?  Well, if nothing else you need a suspension raise as the Achilles heal of any TLC (LWB) is the break over angle and also the departure angle.  Other than that they are pretty well equipped as standard - mines got locking diffs all round, centre and both axles, all electric.

confort

Difficult to beat that really, unless perhaps you look at a Range Rover, but that's another argument altogther (ducks as abuse gets thrown  :wink: ).

repair bills

Hmmm, now this is where one can get somewhat philpsophical:  They don't tend to go wrong as often as anything from the Land Rover (BMW?  Ford?) stable, but when they do... sheesh, your bank manager needs to be a real friendly sort of chap!  That said my TLC has done well over 200K miles and I've only stuck one set of tyres on (recently), one radiator and one MAF.

The one thing about parts for TLC's is that you can get them from the USA for about half the price of in the UK; but then mine is a Saudi import more in line with what the Yanks have - Jap imports are the same as the US ones for most parts too.

All in all, I think the TLC is one of the best vehicles around but then its size and weight lets it down.  At the other end of the scale I think a Suzuki SJ is wonderful too, for exactly the reasons that a TLC fails at.  If only I could get some TLC axles and suspension bolted onto an SJ, I'd be in seventh heaven.  :twisted:

Let me put it this way, if you wanna get there, go in a TLC, if you're not bothered about getting there because something has broken/fallen off then go for a Disco and save your intial costs.  Ooh, that's it, I've gone and done it - I'll wake up on the morning with a horses head on my pillow from all the Land Rover owners who are all such a good and humorous natured bunch of folk... well, you need to be.  :lol:
If it aint broke.... break it so I can upgrade it.

If you don't like what I say, please proceed to bang your head against the nearest wall until any such memory of my comments have been erased from your thoughts.

WARNING: Spell checker is OFF, speeling may be erotic.

Offline toger

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 09:39:26 »
Thanks for that SS
Regards
Toger
2001 Disco2 Td5

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 13:37:40 »
my buddy has a landcruiser 80 series.
4.2 turbo d.front and rear lockers as standard plus centre diff lock.35"simex copys.
its about a foot longer than my disco and about the same height.up hills it beats me everytime(so much torque).drive it with anger and it will fly through deep mud,or be gentle with the throttle and it will claw through.

in a nutshell it will better my disco almost all of the time.

but depends on the driver.

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 13:38:19 »
forgot to add

mods and bolt ons are expensive

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 12:37:33 »
IMO disco is the easy option, plenty bits, cheap and cheerful, but if you can afford to splash out a bit more, the LC is the one.

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline wildsmith

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 23:00:38 »
They don't tend to go wrong as often as anything from the Land Rover (BMW? Ford?) stable

We have two 80 series TLC's, one has had 5 years of considerable abuse and I did have to change the starter contacts on it, a few other things I induced by poor spanner work, the other TLC has given us 4 years of tarmac driving and needed a front exhaust pipe. These are 94 & 93 models so no spring chickens. I've lost track of what's gone wrong with my friends LR's in that time.

You don't buy a TLC and ask questions about fuel - they are not synonymous terms

The TD's are not too bad, mine's still giving about 20mpg with a lot of extra wieght, my wifes does about 26mpg. The 24 valve's are reputed to do even better.

Expensive. Very expensive. In fact extremely expensive

For about £300 you can get a decent 2"-2.5" lift which gives you space for for 35" rubber and decent clearance. How much will it cost to put axle lockers on a Disco and lift it?

I don't find it expensive even when I do have to buy parts, shop around a bit rather than relying on the main dealer and you can get sensible prices.

Jon.

Offline Digger90

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 20:31:00 »
Anyone got any links to Land Cruiser forums, suppliers, info?
People's Republic of West Sussex

Offline andyw

Attack Member
Landcruiser/Discovery
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 14:56:49 »
A couple of forums for you, have just today bought a 94 80 series 4.2td , pick it up on saturday.

http://www.landcruiser-rocks.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/index.php?sid=9e976c6c122041ffc6ef07eda18b454f

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal