AuthorTopic: Leaky Fuel Tank  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Ben

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Leaky Fuel Tank
« on: May 03, 2004, 17:35:52 »
Got home the other day to be greeted by the neighbours kids telling me that my "car" was dripping, and had been all day!

Put it down to the unexpected hot weather, and a relatively full tank until it continued...

I've now got a plastic box collecting the drips...

How easy is it to change the tank on a defender? It's the one under the drivers seat. Couldn't afford a TD5  :(

Cheers

Ben

Finally got the new Avatar on!
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Leaky Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 22:15:02 »
Depends on your level of expertise  ;)

I'm assuming it's not too dissimilar from the series 3 tank, so I might be wrong..

The tank is held in by either three or four bolts, three at the front (holding it onto a chassis outrigger) and one at the back which has a strange rubber grommit affair.

The first thing you should do is take the front seat out, or apart.  If tilt it forward you should be able to get at the rubber filler pipe and remove it from there (loosen the jubilee clip).  There is also an access panel for the remaining pipes (the feed) and the wires for the fuel guage, these should be removed, and should be easy enough to do.

The ones at the front will likely be rusted and beaten to something unpleasent (they're in direct line of fire for mud and grime off the front wheel), the rear may well be similarly unhappy.   For the cost (a couple of quid) get a new set with the new tank.

With these removed, and a suitable jack or similar underneath you should be able to carefully lower the tank.  It's not *that* heavy, but the positioning will make it a painfull job so think carefully about how you're planning on doing it before you do so.

hint:  empty it first.

Fitting the new one is, as they say "the reverse of removal", except you swear in different places.

Basically, I'd have a poke about, drop the seat forward etc and make sure you're comfortable with where things are before you start, and it should be easy.
--

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Leaky Fuel Tank
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 12:23:51 »
It's slightly different from the series tank in that the fuel filler/breather connections can be located under the rear wheel arch.

You'll need to take the drivers seatbase out and remove the metal plate.

Drain the tank, Disconnect all the fittings and pipes then get some support under the tank and wrestle with the bolts on the front and rear of the tank.

Lower it out.

Whilst you are in there, clean and paint the chassis rail and outriggers around the tank... they are notorious for collecting mud.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Ben

Attack Member
Leaky Fuel Tank
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 18:52:38 »
Thanks guys :-)

Sounds as straightforward as I hoped! I guess trolley jack with a bit of wood on is a good start point for taking the weight and then lowering the tank...

I guess the only problem I've got is that I need it fixed by Friday (got to go do some National Trust Volunteering at the weekend) and I'm working solid all week... Perhaps I'll leave it to the guy at the end of the road...

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal