AuthorTopic: Jumps in a Range Rover!  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« on: January 28, 2006, 20:11:41 »
I have just got this months copy of Landrovers owner international and yet again there is another pic of a landrover defender 90 coming out of a hill climb fast with the front wheels way up in the air. This would mean that it would hit the deck fairly hard. I have also seen Pics of Range Rovers doing the same thing. I have a 1994 Rangerover with air suspension....... can it handle this type of abuse??? I have had it almost a year now so I do not know its full limitations yet, in as much as what it takes to break it. If I was to fly up a steep incline and on reaching the top lanched my front wheels into the air (just the front wheels not the rear) would it just drop on to them and take it in its stride? or would the air bag blow! front wheels break off! would the axle snap in two? Would the shocks be broken! I know there are are alot of vairables but can a standard Range Rover like mine take that sort of punishiment?

Just interesed to know!

Thanks alot Jonny

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 20:30:07 »
in 1 word No,ive done something like that in my 90,50MPH out of a bowl,kept it decked & clenched the cheeks going up was easy,the landing is the hard part  :wink:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 11:35:01 »
I would imagine that would be the easiest way to break a half shaft or cv joint. Think of all that momentum coming to a sudden stop, the energy has to be absorbed somewhere, if it can't be absorbed somethings going to break.
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 13:44:28 »
It might cope with that sort of treatment for a bit - for sure it is amazing how much abuse they can put up with! (see www.friesianracing.co.uk) But there is no question that if you drive like this you are putting alot of strain on the vehicle and you have to be prepared for expensive breakages.

Also you will find that the std vehicle is significantly underdamped for yumping - especially at standard or heavier weight and you may well find yourself getting thrown badly off course.

Having said all this get along to your nearest comp safari or hillrally and watch nearly standard motors doing this all over the place.  Backing off for obstacles only slows you down! :wink:

The other thing that any racer will tell you is that maintenance is crucial if you behave like this.  On any rough event - alot of the suspension bolts and axle fixings need to be retightened after just a few miles of off roading.

Offline The Fat Controller

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 18:17:44 »
i've launched one of my range rovers a couple of times.it was at the time a standard v8 with police spec springs and when i launched it the vehicle left the ground completely and like mikee it was at about 45 to 50 mph.i don't think i would do it with an air sprung model.
BRIAN                                                              1987 Range Rover 6cyl turbo 5dr 5 speed(diesel)diesel.1988 Range Rover 3.5V8 vogue se(duck)lpg. car trailer(s c ruffy).  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/duck  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/diesel/0/264830-1121727056.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/2406/RANGE%20ROVER/DSC00079.jpg

Offline Grunter

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 18:35:30 »
last time i got air under all 4 wheels of my rangie, the landing saw the turret parting company with the chassis.  Also left me with no brakes as the ball and spring in the old type non return valve fited in the manifold spun round!!!!    Of course didnt want to miss a days playing so armed with a hacksaw cut the    bent shocker off and continued to play with engine braking only!!
This should present no significant problems

83 4dr R/R
LPG, Chrysler auto, 265's
Steering guard
2" suspension lift
2 1/2" body lift
es9000 +4"

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
ummmmm
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 21:36:29 »
Ummm maybe Ill keep all 4 on the floor! Does anyone use the air springs!! Seems like anyone who does off roading always has coils, Air seems great to me as you can have a 3.5 inch lift at the push of a button! I know it may be unreliable but as yet mine has been great. You can allso load it up with all sort of gear and never have a saggy arse!

anyway thanks all, Ill let you know if the air bags go bang when I do my first jump!

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 18:00:49 »
:D did that in my series 3 and snaped the chassie between the front springs termial damage :D
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline alaric

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 22:32:24 »
Bottom line Jonny, is that you have to decide what you car is for.

If it's an off road only toy, that can sit unused while to wait for time/parts/money to repair it, then have as much fun as you can, go as hard and fast as conditions allow, and see what happens.

If, on the other hand, youdon't want to spend excessive time and money repairing your car, or know you'll need it tomorrow, then you'll find that no matter what you do off road, the greatest satisfaction will come from saying "I did all that, AND drive home afterwards".

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary is the best philosophy if you are of the second school of thought!

Alaric.
"Act your shoe size, not your age..."

2012 Subaru Outback

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 23:00:22 »
Thanks for the advise Alaric not a wiser word spoken, this is my only car and I plan to keep it for a few years yet so I will be takening it nice and easy....... for now!

thanks

Offline alaric

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 16:29:47 »
Take a few risks, though... :lol:
"Act your shoe size, not your age..."

2012 Subaru Outback

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 21:49:56 »
Copy that gold leader......... :wink:

Offline andyducati

Attack Member
Re: ummmmm
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 22:41:37 »
Quote from: "Jonny Boaterboy"
Does anyone use the air springs!! Seems like anyone who does off roading always has coils, Air seems great to me as you can have a 3.5 inch lift at the push of a button! I know it may be unreliable but as yet mine has been great. You can allso load it up with all sort of gear and never have a saggy arse!

anyway thanks all, Ill let you know if the air bags go bang when I do my first jump!

Hi,
I use RR Classic airbags on my 1985 RR but with 2" spacers underneath and Pro Comp ES9000 +2" shockers and manual control. I do a few trials and as many play days as poss. I've launched the car over yumps and into ditches. I'm not gentle with it and the wife is even worse.
The airbags have taken the abuse with no probs even with them pumped upto max. What you must do is ensure they do not over extend as the bellows will pull off the end plates. (not done that yet)
I use about 2" of the available bag lift when off road that gives me a total lift of 4" or so. and drop down to -1" on the bag for normal road use.
I think the EAS is so useful that I have fitted the full RRC system to my Disco. But then I have access to Rovacom Lite to reset the faults.

Cheers
Andy
1991 Disco V8i 4.6 LPG
Stage 1 heads
Tubular Headers
Stainless Sports Exhaust
Electronic Air Suspension
Late Disco 2 Headlamps
Roof bar and Lights
255/70 16 Hi Trac's

1985 Range Rover 4.6 LPG
Stage 1 Heads 10.5:1 CR
2.5" Exhaust
Manual Air Suspension +2"
Pro Comp ES9000 +2"
Steering Guard
265/70 16 MT's

And a few more dents and scratces than last time.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 22:02:05 »
At last some one else on air... maybe we should start a air sprung Range Rover Clasic club! I've been real happy with my air, as yet its not let me down once. As My Range Rover is my only car I get the best of all worlds: A 3 inch lift at the push of a button (well when it knows its stuck!) and lowered surspension on the motorway. When cross axled it will even deflate the bag on top of the bump to alow the other wheel to gain traction! and on top of all that its done 113mph on the motorway (ummm not sure I should own up to that.... I only did it once!) How meny Range Rovers with a 2inch body lift would feel comfortable doing that speed!

AIR IS GOOD  :(shades):

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 15:20:02 »
113mph, I'm not sure you speedo is that accurate, I know mine won't do that speed without a long hill.  It feels safe at motorway speeds but top speed is limited by an annoying vibration under the front, it's not the prop as I've swapped it so I think I've a diff to rebuild.  Biggest bonus for the air springs is the lack of modification you need to get the extra lift.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 21:52:40 »
I have had 115 MPH out of my 300 !
I was clocked at this by radar gun so know its acurate  8)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 23:18:58 »
Your probable right about the speedo's Ive got 245 70 all tarains on it so that will throw it out a bit, and at the speed I did'nt speend too much time studing the exact position of the needle! but it looked like it was somewhere around the 110mph mark............ any way it felt fast!!! :-k

Range Rover are great arnt they to be able to do every thing they can do is preety good, wish mine would do 30m/g instead of 15m/g!!!! that would be awesome!

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 00:53:35 »
Buy a tdi ! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
28 mpg round town and 34 mpg on a run ! 8)  8)  8)  8)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 01:00:30 »
LPG, 12.5 pence per mile :D
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline richard_sephton

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 20:43:24 »
i have had 113.43 mph out of mine down a track clocked with a gps
87 range rover 3.5
Mods:
erm rust at the moment

www.nworc.co.uk

Offline Grant

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 22:30:26 »
Quote from: "Jonny Boaterboy"
At last some one else on air... maybe we should start a air sprung Range Rover Clasic club! I've been real happy with my air, as yet its not let me down once. As My Range Rover is my only car I get the best of all worlds: A 3 inch lift at the push of a button (well when it knows its stuck!) and lowered surspension on the motorway. When cross axled it will even deflate the bag on top of the bump to alow the other wheel to gain traction! and on top of all that its done 113mph on the motorway (ummm not sure I should own up to that.... I only did it once!) How meny Range Rovers with a 2inch body lift would feel comfortable doing that speed!

AIR IS GOOD  :(shades):

Agree, fit a manual inflation kit and you're laughing  :)

Did over a ton in my last P38- gale force wind noise and dont look at the fuel guage, you wont like what you see! (literally moves)  :shock:

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 23:25:44 »
Ive just signed up for something called a Pipeline card, Radio 2 recomended it and it sounds like a good Idea, they think that if enogh of us sign up they will be able to get between 5-7p off a litre of fuel which would be awsome, here's the websight have a look www.pipelinecard.org

as for us all speeding....... well! wonder if anyone has broke the 120mph mark?

Offline richard_sephton

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 08:26:46 »
thats my next target i may try that as i have striped every thing out of mine so it should go faster :twisted:
87 range rover 3.5
Mods:
erm rust at the moment

www.nworc.co.uk

Offline DEANO3528

Attack Member
Jumps in a Range Rover!
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 00:02:18 »
Quote from: "bullfrog"
Buy a tdi ! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
28 mpg round town and 34 mpg on a run ! 8)  8)  8)  8)

Yeah but then you'll need to be doing 113. whatever to launch anyway!  :wink:

This is Shed when it was a tad younger (which I use for my avi'), and was just done the once for the picture. This is from a standing start in a hole approx 6-8 feet deep. You have to remember to come off the power in time to save the diff or it will break. maybe not this time but probably next...

Driving the Discovery every day does not give me the same kick, except with regard to the fuel bill. :(
Cheers
DEANO

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal