AuthorTopic: rear springs advice  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Benji

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
rear springs advice
« on: April 27, 2004, 23:08:38 »
I think the rear springs on my 300TDi are getting a bit worn as the back of the car seems to be a bit lower than the front.  Is there anyway of measuring this to see if they definatley are worn and it's not just my eyes lying (again)?

If they do need changing, are there different standards / quality of springs, or can you only get normal or heavy duty?
Im in the process of starting my own business that will involve me towing a heavy box trailer all day, every day so which make do 'you lot that know lots' recommend?

Advice will be much appreciated :)

Ben
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
Ifor Williams box trailer (my office),
Yellow labrador with permanant 4 paw drive!
www.messypups.com

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
rear springs advice
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 23:10:24 »
get progressive rate springs which work better as more load is put on them

i know this may sound stupid but could you take a picture of your vehicle from a few sides so the sag.. if you think you have any, can be seen?

ta

d

Offline robbie

Attack Member
rear springs advice
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 23:37:09 »
It could be other things than the springs themselves. I have seen vehicles 'leaning'due to damaged/worn bushes/mountings. It depends on how severe it is I guess.

I did also have one vehicle that had a weak spring on the drivers side causing a little 'sag'. I had it years and it never broke, just always looked a litle lower on that side

Perhaps post some piccies here for everyone to take a look at. Place the vehicle on as level ground as possible
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Lucy-Jo

Re: rear springs advice
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 08:10:46 »
Quote from: "Benji"
I think the rear springs on my 300TDi are getting a bit worn as the back of the car seems to be a bit lower than the front.  Is there anyway of measuring this to see if they definatley are worn and it's not just my eyes lying (again)?

In Genuine Parts, you can get a variety of different rates of springs that will fit, as all of the springs for coil sprung landrovers are interchangable.

Once you have checked that it is indeed your springs that are worn out (what's the mileage the vehicle has covered with them fitted, and has it done much heavy towing or off road work?), then I would recommend Genuine Parts Discovery Heavy Duty springs (as fitted to Camel Trophy Discoverys) for the back end of yours. I have these on mine. Fitting new heavy duty springs in place of new normal duty springs should not change the ride height.

Be warned, when you first drive the car with the new springs fitted they will feel very harsh. They do actually soften up after a day or two - it's not just that you get used to them, though that'll help too!

An alternative to new springs is to fit Gas Dampers (Shock Absorbers). Gas shocks (as opposed to standard oil filled ones) are designed to support part of the weight of the vehicle. If you fit gas dampers, they will lift the vehicle a little. Different brands do this by differing amounts.

Or you could just fit some spacers under the springs to lift the vehicle back up to the ride height you prefer. Just because the springs are sagging a little, doesn't mean that there isn't still plenty of life left in them. Having said that, springs are relatively cheap.

James
--
"Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter"
300 Tdi Katie
http://www.ejames.co.uk

Offline Benji

Attack Member
rear springs advice
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 11:53:30 »
Thanks everyone,

Sounds like heavy duty springs are the way to go.

So is there no way of measuring from the ground to the body work or wheel centre just to check that they are worn?

I had the springs replaced about 8 months ago with gas ones so i don't think it's those at fault.
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
www.messypups.com

Offline robbie

Attack Member
rear springs advice
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 13:26:31 »
I had the springs replaced about 8 months ago with gas ones

If your springs are made of gas, that could be the sagging problem  :wink:

Heavy duty springs will DEFINATELY solve that problem :)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Lucy-Jo

rear springs advice
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 21:27:46 »
Quote from: "Benji"

So is there no way of measuring from the ground to the body work or wheel centre just to check that they are worn?

I had the springs replaced about 8 months ago with gas ones so i don't think it's those at fault.

Just because I am a kind, caring and helpful soul (or idiot, depending on your point of view), I've just been out in the dark and pouring rain to take those measurements for you:-

From centre of wheel, to top of wheelarch (bodywork) is 450mm plus or minus 10mm at all four wheels. I had new springs, shocks and bushes all around just 18 months ago. Standard GP springs at the front, HD GP springs at the back. I have Monroe gas shocks all around.

Out of interest, mine also looks as if it sits slightly down at the back, but I am convinced that this is because the Monroe shocks have actually lifted it slightly at the front making it look odd. I intend to pack the rear springs by 15mm (or fit air spring assisters) to get it more level looking.

You'll all be pleased to hear I'm going off-line for a week now, so you'll get some peace and quiet for a bit!

Regards
James
--
"Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter"
Discovery - Katie
http://www.ejames.co.uk

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: rear springs advice
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 08:17:59 »
Quote from: "Lucy-Jo"
In Genuine Parts, you can get a variety of different rates of springs that will fit, as all of the springs for coil sprung landrovers are interchangable.

Just a note (pedant hat on), not all the springs will fit.  some of the heavy duty springs (from 110 HCPU for example) have a larger diameter and won't fit on the spring seat from the other vehicles.

Other than that, most others will swap.

There should be no need to put heavy duty springs on unless you are doing a lot of heavy towing or carry a lot of weight around.  The effect will just be a bumpier ride for litttle other benefit.    If, as you say that you will have a heavy trailer on a lot, then the HD springs will help improve stability when towing.

It is not uncommon for springs to sag slightly after being fitted for a while,  but if yours are getting old and you are about to start doing a lot of towing, then it's probably worth doing.

I would go a little further than James and say that you are probably as well fitting gas-charged dampers as well as new springs.  Again, these should help keep things more stable when towing.

Cheers,
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Benji

Attack Member
rear springs advice
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 10:26:13 »
Think i made a little booboo!

The springs are original as far as i am aware. I meant to say i had the SHOCKS replaced 8 months ago, not the springs.  (would be interesting to see how springs filled with gas would work)!

I didn't realise that HD springs gave a harsher ride.  Ive tried to estimate the weight that ill be pulling around all day, prob no more than 1500kgs on a twin axle so the actual tow hitch weight shouldn't be to exccessive. Do you think standard springs will be OK and will i have to replace the front set as well (ie, should you replace all four at the same time).

Thanks for the measurements James. Im going to grap the little old tape measure and go and have a look!

Ben
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
www.messypups.com

Offline Benji

Attack Member
rear springs advice
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 10:34:36 »
Well would you believe it.

Just measured from centre of wheel to body and ive got 452mm at the rear and 458mm at the front.  Maybe after all this there is nothing wrong after all!

Ive got to go to the garage soon to get the gearbox and a fuel leak checked so ill ask them their opinion when im there.

Thanks for your help guys and girls (or is Lucy-jo a bloke in girls clothes)?  :wink:
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
www.messypups.com

pat.hunt

Rear springs
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 22:02:35 »
Hi

When I did some checking on spring heights the measurement from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch on new vehicles was given as 18.5 inches front and 19.5 inches rear  :? !!

Regards
Pat

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
rear springs advice
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 19:00:18 »
the correct way to measure the correct ride hight is to measure between the bumpstop & the higher side of the axle casing.on my dads 110 which is fitted with really heavy duty springs all round has i think 4 inches or 50 mm between the bumpstop & chassis.on my 90 racer when i had dual rate rangie vogue springs fitted there was 40-45 mm between the bumpstop & chassis and when i fitted heavy duty 90 springs all round there was 50 mm between the chassis & bumpstop & also it was much stiffer which for what im doing is ok as it lands nice from big jumps but is a nightmare on rough ground as it doesnt relly soak the bumps up.110 rear springswon't fit any other axles as they are wound to a bigger diameter,what i am lookin for is information on what is the best springs to fit to my 90 racer.
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal