AuthorTopic: Defender speakers  (Read 6375 times)

Offline Priglet

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Defender speakers
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:06:07 »
As I'm a cheap skate and bought a bog standard station wagon rather than a county my motor came without a stereo. For the last 10 months I've had the head unit in the cubby box and a speaker floating about the dash but reckon it's time I finally fitted the overhead console I've had for the last few months.

Please could folk let me know where there speakers are fitted, and what size they are, thanks :)
Phil

Daisy the 110SW, a greenhouse on wheels.

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:13:49 »
On my 110 HT the factory speakers are in the bottom corners of the dash - facing the floor. You have to turn the stereo up to max whilst driving along that you sound like a BoyRacer/Chav when you pull up at the lights !

I reckon that you could fit some decent sized units (6" maybe) into the front doors. When I've sorted out the 110's bodywork, I'll be fitting something in the back corners, either side of the rear door - not sure what, depends on what I can lay me hands on !

Jim
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

littlepow

Defender speakers
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:14:56 »
13cm speakers all round, 3 way type if that helps.
2 rear mounted in the roof lining, 1 either side of the rear door. 2 front mounted, 1 in either footwell just below the dash.

Offline clips

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 18:24:48 »
i replaced our speekers with componants, so i can have the directional sound (that from the tweeters) directed straight at head height. Base still heads to the shins though!
 it also helps were in a td5 with sound matting!
 if your changing your headset go for a mainline car audio headset such as alpine, others tend to loose definition as the volume increases. (ie traditionally sony headsets tend to distort in the last 1/4)
Al and Gayn,

Toyota converts

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 20:22:58 »
Put mine in the front headlining one by my ear and one by the passengers.  They arr 6" with little tweeters aswell.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Defender speakers
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 20:23:53 »
ive got a pair o 6x9's on a shelf & the speakers are right behind the driver n passengers head
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Ben

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 21:09:47 »
I put some speakers I found in the garage into some plastic lunch boxes (cut a hole in the lid for the speakers themselves and then put the grille over the front).

Cheap, cheerful, and most of all hidden - they sat between the backs of the front seats and the centre bulkhead.

Having the stereo in the centre cubby meant that the whole stereo system was hidden from prying eyes.

They just stole the whole vehicle instead :cry:

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 21:16:26 »
My old 110 had Blaupunkt speakers inserted in the head-lining just above  & behind the front seats, it was the best place.

The Heritage has the usual speakers on the reverse lower face of the dash & a pair of Pioneers just above the internal 'gutter' right by the rear-most corners

I believe there is actually a factory kit for door-mounting circular speakers, perhaps a word with your dealer??
Or a cry for help' on this (& any otherLR ) forum you frequent??

I seem to think that the kit was a off-spin of the NAS varients & the 90-50th Anniversary :?
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 21:35:54 »
Blaupunkt sealed speakers mounted on the internal bulkhead behind the front seats. Pretty good also has the benifit that if you turn the base up you get a great back massage :shock:
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline TULL

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 00:08:25 »
had a pod built with 6x9 infinitys
lifes a long song, so let me bring you songs from the wood..
Landrover 90 1989  By the name of Jethro II
front and rear rebel diff guards
Rebel snorkel
Rebel steering guard
A bar.
Army bumper.
Previously
Isuzu trooper  2.6i "Jethro"

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
Defender speakers
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 00:12:26 »
i have a pair of 5inch mounted on the top of the B pillars in the headlining and another pair of 5inch mounted in the top of the box over our LPG tank (behind 2nd row seats)
James

...lovin dirty days out...

1983 OneTen V8 Station Wagon 3.5 (LPG)
1972 Range Rover V8
1992 Range Rover 4.6 (LPG)
1978 Range Rover Carmichael Commando 6x4
1972 Range Rover - Major project, FOR SALE
1976 Range Rover - Less of a project, FOR SALE
Previously: Range Rovers 1988, 1990 and others...
2005 Volvo V70 T5 SE (LPG) - daily driver

Offline Priglet

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 16:50:24 »
Thanks for your help.

Think I'll probably put a couple in the headlining just behind my head and a couple right at the back.

Not knowing much about speakers what's the difference between three way and co-axial speakers (in language a simpleton can understand)?
Phil

Offline clips

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 20:18:29 »
three way are still single piece units but have woofer with tweeter and mid cones in them (so imagine an oval with two ping-pong balls in it)
 the coaxial is essentually the same with a woofer and tweeter mounter in the middle (ie plate with ping pong ball in middle)
 the componant type have fully seperate woofer (bass cone) and tweeter.
 in theory tweeters deliver directional noise so vocals and highs, the bass delivers the deep notes which arn't directional, and if used in say home sterios often use the back wall and the distance the speeker is placed from the wall to effect the depth of the sound. in a car generally mount them in big boxes to increase the depth of bass.
 well think that right  :roll:
Al and Gayn,

Toyota converts

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 22:28:15 »
ahh, this is my forte here!

right then, simply put,
co-axial speakers have 2 or more speakers that share the same centre, there is normally a shaft running through the middle of the bass speaker that the tweeter (or high frequency bit) mounts to.  They are at best a compromise as part of the area of the bass speaker is lost to this shaft, hense it cant move as much air (important for bass)

three way speakers have three speakers (normally in a co-axial arrangement) one for the low frequencies , one for the mid and one for the super highs.  They tend to be better quality than a 2-way speaker system however for the same price a 2-way will generally be better as the three ways are for show often.

Seperates - generally a seperate bass speaker and a seperate tweeter, the best of the bunch as nothing goes through the bass area and thus not reducing the overal area of the speaker cone.

Right then, despite popular belief the wattage of a speaker is not that important in the big scheme of finding something 'loud'.  The most important factor after is something called sensitivity - imagine it as the drag factor of a car.  It is emasured in W/dB/Metres, or in other words how loud it is if you stick 1 watt rms into the speaker and stand at 1 metre.  My PA system is rated at 99dB/W/Metres, so at 1 watt of power the speakers will kick out 99dB, I believe that at 100dB it is the threshhold at which damage is done!

A cheap car speaker will typically rate at mid 80s, to get that kind of speaker to the same volume as my PA you would need to stick in around 100 watts RMS, even the best head units can't ge that high (all their figures are quoted in peak which is arond 4 times higher than RMS values)

Every 3dB is considered 'twice as loud'.  To work out how much a watt makes you take the RMS value, take the 10th log and multiply by 10, so 100 watts is 20dB.  Doubling the speakers doubles the volume (all other things being equal), so 1 speaker to 2 doubles, 2 to 4 doubles again, 4 to 8 doubles again and so on, so once you get apst 2 speakers its actually quite hard to get a big difference by increasing speakers (as well as power required to run them)

'm not about to give away all of my trade secrets, however if you want a custom install that will really surprise you and blow you away PM me and we'll see what I can do..

To give you an example I have done a custom isntal into a modern Morgan sports car where the only speakers people have managed to fit int he past are about 2" in size.  I did a 6" speaker install into custom made speaker enclosures totally hidden away with tweeters dash mounted, no amps, just a reasonable blaupunkt head unit and people  complain it's too loud when he pulls up to the place where he works!  The whole lot starting from fresh would cost about £200.  He could double the quality and power with a cheap amp as well, however that is yet to come!

Matthew

Offline Priglet

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 20:34:17 »
Quote from: "Matt_H"
'm not about to give away all of my trade secrets, however if you want a custom install that will really surprise you and blow you away PM me and we'll see what I can do..

Matthew

Thanks for your input Matthew.

I like the idea of the system you put in the Morgan but am not really close enough to make a custom install practical :(
Phil

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 20:38:22 »
just do your reading and it will all be well :-)

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Defender speakers
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 21:21:37 »
Quote from: "TULL"
had a pod built with 6x9 infinitys

funnyly enough mines lookskinda like that just not as neat
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline TULL

Attack Member
Defender speakers
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 23:17:23 »
it would look much rougher if id not paid somone to do it :wink:
lifes a long song, so let me bring you songs from the wood..
Landrover 90 1989  By the name of Jethro II
front and rear rebel diff guards
Rebel snorkel
Rebel steering guard
A bar.
Army bumper.
Previously
Isuzu trooper  2.6i "Jethro"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal