AuthorTopic: Watchdog  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Moose

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Watchdog
« on: April 19, 2004, 21:16:24 »
Apparently on Watchdog last week - so my mother tells me, there was a feature about Disco's blowing up.

Did any one see it, and what was it about, my dear mother just remembers it cost £7k when it goes wrong :cry:
Chris Gorvin

Shiny Blue Crew 002 -2004 Discovery TD5 'Monte'
Shiny Blue Crew 012 - 2002 Suzuki Jimny 'Jimbo'
2002 Avondale Rialto 550-4 'Dopey'

ICQ 337908510
www.off.road.club4x4.net
www.northmidlands-doc.co.uk
http://community.webshots.com/user/shinymoose

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Watchdog
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 23:17:07 »
apparently there have been a number (i.e. three) incidents of TD5 disco's spontaneously combusting when the oil pressure light comes on.

the people on telly, and ergo watchdog claim "the light came on then it went bang"  I think the more likely situation is "the light came on, so I floored it and continued one for thirty miles to see if it would go off again" is more likely.

The DOC hasn't had any real reports of anything, although from what I hear watchdog didn't care when they were informed of this.

Over sensationalised rubbish if you ask me, then again.. isn't that what telly is for?
--

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Watchdog
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 16:57:28 »
Yes I saw that piece, seems like a bad batch of engines, the pulley bolt on the oil pump was to blame, either wrong torque setting or was not thread locked in, as i saw the report, causing the pulley to loosen and then no drive to the pump, hey presto no oil pumping round the engine.

One of the lawyers on the show was saying although the vehicles were out of warranty, Land rover could still be hold responsible as the part was not a service part on the engine, and in normal service life you would not be accessing this part

Sounded interesting on this point though

Basically Land Rover would not pay up for another engine costing between 6 and 8,000 quid. Although a few people were given a 'token' payment of a few hundred pounds

The part about the oil light coming on is a good point, you normally thing that the oil pressure is low, not all of a sudden not there at all, thats why I'd prefer a gauge then a warning light

Kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Watchdog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 17:03:44 »
My Disco was the one they used in the footage on the programme (in good old Cobar Blue).  Not that it's blown up, it just happened to be the right model, and Thrasher tipped me off  :)

I also have the benefit of hearing the LR end through my contacts at LR.

There *is* a problem on certain 1999 Discos with the oil pump bolt coming off and doing very expensive damage to the engine.  But it's limited to a small run of engines.  I'm told mine is exempt.

If it happens to yours, you can legally claim all associated expenses back off Land Rover (according to Watchdog), as it was a problem inherent in the build from new so is their responsibility under the Sale & Supply of Goods Act.  I guess if enough people claim, LR will issue a recall when it starts getting expensive.

There is a detailed thread on one of the LR magazine forums - I think it might be Enthusiast.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll double check.

David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Watchdog
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 17:04:25 »
(Obviously not the same Red 200tdi as my avatar currently shows...)
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Moose

Attack Member
Watchdog
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 22:25:08 »
Thanks, mines a 2001, so I shouldbe ok
Chris Gorvin

ICQ 337908510
www.off.road.club4x4.net

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Watchdog
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 22:49:08 »
Just a thought are these engines assembled at the plant or shipped in from elsewhere like some manufacturers, and just fitted into the vehicle at LR

As the prob seems to be an internal engine component, not to do with the general vehicle assembly

Kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Moose

Attack Member
Watchdog
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 22:18:11 »
These engine are assembled at Solihull ( and will be the last ones to do so I reckon) I actual supply parts for the engine and from time to time visit the line to check on our bits ( Water gallery plug on the head being the most trouble some  :roll: )

next time I am in, I with have a wander down and have a look at the section these bits are put on, I need to be quick - they may of stopped making them by now, and I doubt my expenses will reach to South Africa or Brazil  :shock:
Chris Gorvin

ICQ 337908510
www.off.road.club4x4.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal