AuthorTopic: Out & About. Sunday 8th January  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Out & About. Sunday 8th January
« on: January 08, 2006, 23:06:27 »
From the results here I think most of you liked my varied 'Out & About' reports, so...
Here's the first one with my new 110 :wink:  :wink:
Enjoy :D  (comments welcomed - as usual)

After a problematic few days the Defender got its first trip of any length/time today. We'd promised 'Small-Child' we'd go Seal-hunting at a beach we'd been told about (I'd requested the day-off specially)

I had a quick browse at its fuel-gauge problem this morning & went to fill it up to see what happened,and hoped the immobiliser wouldn't while we were out [-o<
SWMBO got 'Small-Child' sorted out whilst I was away.

Once I was back home, SWMBO, 'S-C' (& sister-in-law) were loaded up along with food, coats, wellies, cameras & vid-cam.
The M62 was joined a couple of miles down the road & an easterly direction was taken at a steady 55mph into the rain & gloom.
It certainly feels differant to the Discovery (I'd forgotten all about the 'Defender experience' :lol: ) & was already missing some decent gearing for motorway cruising.

Eventually (via the M18 & M180) we got to Grimsby & the M180 expired, the A16 towards Louth was followed.
Now we got onto the little roads through (esentially) the Lincolnshire fens, with water everywhere; be it ponds, or drains following the roads for miles.
We reached the village of North Somercoates along the 'coast-road' of the A1031 & turned off to reach 9after almost 2hours, the dunes of Donna Nook, which is part of an RAF bombing range :shock:  :shock:

It must rank as one of the most desolate places I think I've been in the UK, bar a few stretches up near Sellafield on the Cumbrian coast.
Once parked, it was up into the load-space for an indoor picnic & soup :roll: , plenty of space for that now :lol:  :lol:

Food consumed & all coats on it was out & along the foreshore.
By following the other equally daft people, it was easy to spot where the Seal pups were by the clusters of people standing about

There was (for me) some interesting articles in the beach yard of 'Range-Control', a netting tank anyone???

After about 30minutes on the beach it was decided it was a bit chilly to say the least & we departed.
The decision was taken to come back 'cross-country' (no!, not literally!!)& head to Louth, Gainsborough & Bawtry (regaining the A1 north)
The roads were a nice mixture of rolling over the Lincolnshire Wolds &  narrow arrow-straight  lanes with drains at either side.

As it got darker, it got wetter. I half expected a few flurries of snow,but nothing came.
One advantage of the lower (than Discovery) gearing was the ability to lug itself around corners in 4th & 5th that would make the Discovery struggle & shake.

It seemed to take an eternity to get to Gainsborough, but then (the lovely town of) Bawtry was upon us. Sadly it was fully dark & 'S-C' was grumpy & hungry, so we didn't stop (I have before)

Surprisingly between Louth & Market Rasen there was still lots of deep patches of snow at the road-side, but wasn't that where it was badly hit a couple of weeks ago??

Eventually we got home for about 17:15 after a stop to pick up a  McDonalds 'Happy meal' for 'S-C'.

Total mileage circa 195-200miles & probably 4 1/2hours driving, but 'S-C' was quite taken with the Seals (nasty snotty, growly things that they are)
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 23:56:51 »
Looks a good day out :D

Think me and SWMBO may head for Aberystwyth next week weekend :D
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 00:36:21 »
Seems like you had a nice ride out Richard, like the 2nd picture, but better not say which (of my) family members it reminds me of   :wink:

We were around the Market Rasen area just over a week ago (29/12) and there was around 4" - 5" of snow on some of the lanes, (OK 100 - 125mm if you want to be PC)..............  but it was a very pleasant day out  :lol:

You've been there before with the 110, ................ it's an aquired taste and may take a week or two for you to get "re-aclimatised".............  but, as you already know, once it's in your blood .......   your hooked for life  8)

Dave
WIP ........ just Keeps Changing .......

SW

Offline Damonski

Attack Member
  • Cheshire :)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 00:48:41 »
Sounds a perfect day out.  How did the 110 perform on mpg's ?
--

Damian

Range Rover Classic 2.4TD  | Disco 300 Mpi | Citroen Xantia Activa
plus other rainy day projects....

Facebook Me

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 08:17:25 »
Quote from: "Damo"
Sounds a perfect day out.  How did the 110 perform on mpg's ?

Don't know yet, gauge not working :lol:  :lol:, & I didn't re-fill it on the way home.
I'll take a guess at around 30mpg with all the motorway running??

Quote from: "Skywalker"
We were around the Market Rasen area just over a week ago (29/12) and there was around 4" - 5" of snow on some of the lanes, (OK 100 - 125mm if you want to be PC).............. but it was a very pleasant day out  

Yes we came from the east (obviously, why did I write that? :roll: ) passing alongside the race-course.
The snow (I think) was mainly on the approach to Manby, saw 'The Manby' pub, with the Jet Provosts(?) on the sign & the nice '30's style garden supplies(?) place just after it.
Oh, & there was also the Chieftain at the entrance to Manby driving grounds

Quote from: "Skywalker"
You've been there before with the 110, ................ it's an aquired taste and may take a week or two for you to get "re-aclimatised"............. but, as you already know, once it's in your blood ....... your hooked for life  

Yes for almost 4years with the 110Tdi  (& about 14months with the 90V8-CSW)
It's just a matter of re-programming your synaptic responses. I found myself backing off for corners with a 'see-through' factor that I would have taken 10mph(?) faster in the Discovery
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:47:36 »
Having just looked at those "problem" topics, it looks like your Land Rover has a mind of its own, like they always do.  Give it time, it's just getting used to you... (oh, and the fuel gauge, it's a LR, so you'll most likely struggle to get that working right!  :P )  :lol:

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:25:06 »
Quote from: "Steel"
 it's just getting used to you... (oh, and the fuel gauge, it's a LR, so you'll most likely struggle to get that working right!  :P )  :lol:

No, I don't like it when things don't work how they should.

Off next weekend, so perhaps out again?
I'm thinking;
Whitby??
Windermere/Grasmere/Keswick??? (necessitates an early departure)
Richmond??
Otley (Chevin) & Ilkley? (via Wharfe-View Cafe & the bridge)
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 10:35:13 »
Quote from: "Bush Tucker Man"
Quote from: "Steel"
 it's just getting used to you... (oh, and the fuel gauge, it's a LR, so you'll most likely struggle to get that working right!  :P )  :lol:

No, I don't like it when things don't work how they should.

I've got used to it somewhat now.  I used to get a little irritated when things on the Merc didn't work as they should...

...but since I got the Land Rover, I've had to get used to it quite quickly.  The fuel gauge on my 2A seems to drop at points and then stop.  It goes like, full, then it will suddenly drop to 3/4 full, more driving/running, then it suddenly drops to 1/2, and then 1/4, and then drops quickly to empty.  :shock:
At least I'm thankful that I havn't got the older type of fuel gauge for a Series, as the needle in them like to bounce around on every little bump and jolt, so you must stop the vehicle if you want to get a decently accurate reading. (if getting an accurate reading is even possible in a LR :roll: )

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 12:19:00 »
I used to live in Lincolnshire and regulary went out to Nonna Nook when it was being used regularly as a bombing range, they used to test the American A10's out there, using both 'bombs' and the gattling gun's on the front (they made a good show and noise!).

If you ever head that way again, let me know (especially if you take small child) as about a mile or so inland from there is the home of Applebys Farm Ices:

The Appleby family have been making ice cream at their farmhouse factory since 1913, with the recipe being handed down through three generations. You can enjoy a hot or cold meal, try one of the fifteen available flavours of ice creams and sorbets, or simply sit and sip a cappuccino whilst enjoying the landscaped view.

I used to head there first, sit and enjoy an ice-cream and watch for the planes heading over, then jump in the car and head down to the dunes to watch.
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 12:52:20 »
Quote from: "TimM"

If you ever head that way again, let me know (especially if you take small child) as about a mile or so inland from there is the home of Applebys Farm Ices:

We passed the Applebys, but didn't realise what it was, we thought it was just a cafe & bakery.

Far too cold for ice-cream that day, now if it had been (hot) Chicken Soup flavour................
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 12:58:04 »
Quote from: "Bush Tucker Man"
now if it had been (hot) Chicken Soup flavour................

That sort of thing is not unknown!

They have the 'regular' flavours and quite often have 'others' especially seasonal flavours  :wink:
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 19:03:16 »
Central Tv had an article on their 6 o'clock news tonight about Donna nook and the seals
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal