AuthorTopic: Cylinder Head Bolts  (Read 639 times)

Offline 500bhp

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Cylinder Head Bolts
« on: January 08, 2006, 10:54:36 »
I'm having to replace the head gasket on the 2.0 mpi, is it ok to reuse the original cylinder head bolts, or should they be replaced. If they need to be replaced can anyone recommend a supplier as here in Portugal they cost a fortune.

Offline Dr Neil

Attack Member
Cylinder Head Bolts
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 11:33:38 »
hi Phill, just had a look in the workshop manual and it says "clean cylinder headbolt threads with a wire brush,check or damage and replace if necessary".That sounds to me like providing the bolts aren't damaged/ corroded and the threads are o.k it should be o.k to re-use them. At the moment i cannot find the torque settings, sorry,but i hope that this helps

regards Neil
200tdi over 200kmiles
+2"lift.
Procomp Es9000 shocks
235 MT's on silver modulars
diff guards
tank guard
Paidia4x4 winch bumper.
Discoparts HD rear bumper.
Champion 10000N winch
CB and CDplayer
Safari snorkel
modified turbo actuator vac pipe pick up.
twin batteries with Paidia4x4 split charge system
roof lightbar

Offline 500bhp

Attack Member
Cylinder Head Bolts
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 14:24:57 »
Thanks Neil, The only reason I am asking is that the garage thats doing the work have said they all ways replace head bolts, but the killer is they have said its 300 euros just for the ten head bolts :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
Cylinder Head Bolts
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 14:47:57 »
Most garages will replace the Head bolts on most occasions when refitting the head. Lots of vehicles have STRETCH bolts now, which alloy an alluminium head, and a cast engine block to move indipendently. This is the role of the head gasket. Ally and sttel both expand andd contract at different rates, so the bolts take up the movement, but still keep them pulled together.

When the bolts are removed, they can distort, and when you put them back, not do as they should.

To reduce comeback on the garages part, this is why they usually insist on the bolts being replaced.

They may ask you to sign a disclaimer if you do not. But as the manual says they can be reused, i doubt it.

Try www.paddockspares.com they should have them cheaper than that.

A set of 18 cylinder head bolts are £32+vat for the 200Tdi. They dont have the Mpi bits online, but should be able to supply them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal