AuthorTopic: tow bar - to chop or not  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Ja1983

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
  • Referrals: 0
tow bar - to chop or not
« on: January 03, 2006, 17:35:09 »
just picked up a genuine toyota tow bar in the hols, plan was to use the mountings to give me some rear protection! :)  but i offered it up and keeping the tow bar means i`ll loose about a foot of ground clearance.

At whitworth i noticed the back of the bed came close a few times, tow bar would mean stuck!

seems a shame to chop it up really, but think i need something
(bollard at wickes had words with the tailgate soon after i got it - D`oh!)

unless anyone has a knackered tow bar - as long as the mounts are good i would be willing to negotiate something.

i already have a section of suitably sized tube, just needs welding to some brackets. :D

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
tow bar - to chop or not
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 16:36:35 »
sod it, its getting some action from the grinder this weekend!  :twisted:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

Offline suzota

Attack Member
tow bar - to chop or not
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 17:15:38 »
Go for it.

Hack it up with the grinder, get them sparks flowing.
suzuki vitara on hilux axles with leaf springs.
35/13.50 mudzilla's
snorkel
twin t cases.
twin ramsey 8000 winches.
procomp e3000 shocks with 14" of travel.
more flex yeah baby
now with V12 power

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
tow bar - to chop or not
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 17:45:20 »
Quote from: "suzota"
Go for it.

Hack it up with the grinder, get them sparks flowing.

...set pants on fire, trip over grinder wire, mop blood off foreheaded, apply TCP to burns, retreive electrical apperatus from garden during small rainstorm. re-burn self on kettle while waiting for rain to pass, change pants, find a fiver from last time you wore them, put it somewhere "safe"* return to garden, resume initial task, explain to the neighbours that short of using a pliiow over the grinder, you are in fact making as little noise as humanly possible, and that the smell was merely from your earlier incident of attempted self cremation, start to change grinder disc, realise its much wiser to UNPLUG the grinder first, spend a good half hour looking for disc releasing tool, repeat electrical appliance/rain scene from earlier, return, exchange disc for the "masonry disc" you were able to find. shred that in approx 4 mins, realise that you`ve cut the wrong bit, BUT, its probly recoverable with welder (tommorrows job) go down wickes and get a set of overpriced discs, purely cos they are the only ones to have any at that time on a saturday night, return home to find you left the door open and next doors cat has [!Expletive Deleted!] on the sofa, remove next door neighbours cat, as the haggered old dear approaches to question your eratic driving, and the fact you are now carrying her prize persian by its tail..

turn red, use last tea bag, continue with chopping, neel on a nice red hot lump of molten metal, cut finger on sharp edge from grinding. abandon play on grounds of lack of motivation/naturel light. return inside, continue with fabreeze treatment on sofa, drink coffee, tend to wounds, curse the elderly, head for pub!

....pub promotes a new view on the subject, probly easier to just un bolt the tow hook.. :lol:  :roll:

*SAFE PLACE, you know, the last know resting place of many important things such as MOT, spare keys, that letter, the last bogroll...

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
tow bar - to chop or not
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 23:39:23 »
Maybe i'm missing summat but wouldn't a tubular back bumper protect you more?????????
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline suzota

Attack Member
tow bar - to chop or not
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 08:12:14 »
Sounds like a normal job to me.
Except for the cat incident, thats roughly how all my little jobs go.
suzuki vitara on hilux axles with leaf springs.
35/13.50 mudzilla's
snorkel
twin t cases.
twin ramsey 8000 winches.
procomp e3000 shocks with 14" of travel.
more flex yeah baby
now with V12 power

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
tow bar - to chop or not
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 18:21:03 »
LMAO, yeah, the bumper parts staying on.. its just the drop for the tow bar thats gunna have to go (hangs down like sweaty scrote on a hot day!)

..then i`ll consider a drop-style hitch as/when i need it  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal