AuthorTopic: V8 BALOON ???  (Read 1016 times)

Offline banditman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 BALOON ???
« on: January 02, 2006, 18:07:24 »
Thanks guys for the help so far in diagnosing my V6 Rangie problem.....

It was indeed an intake air leak.......it was so big though that I couldn't find it so I started again.....

removed plenum and all the gubbins and lo and behold, my new valley gasket has basically tried to flip inside out, which I can only assume is due to crankcase pressure beneath it..........

Strangely, this is exactly the same state the original vallet gasket was in, although that only resulted in oil leaks for some reason......

Anyroad up, as we say oop norf, it is all back together again with a new composite gasket and seals (which was in a unipart bag but not marked front in any way!!) and I refuse to turn the key without asking all you V8 gurus' what is causing this............

And.......where the hell does the crankcase breath from on a 3.5 EFI

All the best for a smooth running 2006 !!

Seeya

Martin
Bobby...... V8 Bobtail Classic RR :-)
Harry......Husqvarna TE450 Enduro

Timmy......955i Triumph Speed Triple - now sold :-( why can't we keep all toys??
Billy...'72 Series 3 V8 but now sold :-(
Rueben.......'98 Bandit 1200 now sold :-(
Hang Over.... '87 Classic EFI Rangie (now on'tuther side ot'ill :-(

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
V8 BALOON ???
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 19:40:32 »
Martin,

Check the flame trap on the front of the rocker cover on the drivers side (same place as the oil filler is on the other cover) and also there is a breather on the rear of the passenger side rocker cover that has a foam filter in it.

The flame trap can be cleaned with something like paraffin but make sure it's dry before putting it back on.  :wink:
The other filter maybe blocked with oil etc and will need replacing.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
V8 BALOON ???
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 03:30:08 »
Or take the oil filller plug out when you start it.  Ideally as Budgie says there are 2 breathers, one for each head but they do slightly different things.  That's a lot of blow-by though.  Time for a compression test I'm afraid.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline banditman

Attack Member
V8 BALOON ???
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 17:38:04 »
Latest update....thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated !!

All breathers / pipes & components removed / cleaned /  blasted through as required and it would appear I have no air leaks and 7.5 cylinders now....(1.5 more than I had :lol: )

reason for the 7.5 cylinders is the bl**dy Dizzy is loose  :oops:  :evil:

Only realised when I caught it putting the breather pipe back on front of engine to the little valve doofer but not having any idea where it started from, I now have not the foggiest idea where the timings at......

tried to swing it and got from a badly grumbling bottom end right up to a spit back which almost blew the inlet again (heard it go like a biscuit tin but then it popped back again and feels / looks OK!)

time to call in someone with the right equipment now to set it up methinks  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Bobby...... V8 Bobtail Classic RR :-)
Harry......Husqvarna TE450 Enduro

Timmy......955i Triumph Speed Triple - now sold :-( why can't we keep all toys??
Billy...'72 Series 3 V8 but now sold :-(
Rueben.......'98 Bandit 1200 now sold :-(
Hang Over.... '87 Classic EFI Rangie (now on'tuther side ot'ill :-(

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
V8 BALOON ???
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 03:35:39 »
Retard it loads then advance it a little at a time till it starts.  Retarded timing is better for starting anyway.  If you look inside the dizzy you can see the little blades that trigger the electronin igintion so you cna set the timing very roughly with the engine static at TDC no.1
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal