AuthorTopic: Auto or Manual  (Read 4522 times)

Offline BigA

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Auto or Manual
« on: December 31, 2005, 08:53:43 »
I am looking at changing from the 90 to a Disco?? looking around and want a 300TDI.

Anyhow, their are a lot of auto's about, and SWMBO recons i should have one as i don't like changing gear (i really don't know where she gets that from  :evil: ) so to get to the point, what are autos like of road?

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: Auto or Manual
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 08:56:55 »
Quote from: "BigA"
what are autos like of road?

Superb !

Smooth power delivery right from standing, more control, easier hill starts, etc, etc.

You might find it a bit sluggish on the road behind a Tdi, so it depends how important a factor that is to you.  Otherwise, I'd certainly go for it.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MuddyMachine

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 09:05:52 »
I prefer my auto any day :D
Baz
300Tdi Modded 90
H&B Response Call Sign HR039

http://muddymachine.googlepages.com/home

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 09:12:05 »
i would love an auto

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline Damonski

Attack Member
  • Cheshire :)
Auto or Manual
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 09:55:39 »
Sorry guys I prefer my manual.
--

Damian

Range Rover Classic 2.4TD  | Disco 300 Mpi | Citroen Xantia Activa
plus other rainy day projects....

Facebook Me

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Auto or Manual
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 10:30:46 »
well i,ve had both, currently have an auto 300tdi as the sunday best car i like autos and think they are much underated but saying that i wouldnt have another diesel one as they are too sluggish for my liking especially if your trying to get out of junctions on to busy roads :shock:
i find running costs are higher with regard to fuel compared with a manual.
There are a hell of a lot of diesel autos available at the mo as they are grey imports from japan, usually well specced as well
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Rangie3.0LtrDan

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 12:08:54 »
The only time you should have an auto is with a V8 rangie  :o  the auto disco's are too slow, when going down a motorway i had an auto 300TDi disco following me in my manual 300TDi and i had to keep slowing down so he could catch up, and that was all within speed limits!
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.

1982 Range Rover 3.0Ltr Turbo Diesel - Redun

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 13:00:09 »
I wish mine was an auto  :(
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
Auto or Manual
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 13:04:42 »
Manual  8)  more fun i reckon
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline BigA

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 14:36:50 »
hmmmm...... still unsure, the way i drive, fuel probably wont be much different  :? i like the idea of ease of an auto, this will be my day to day vehicle as well as laning toy (so long as bits dont fall of as much as the 90) and i dont do that much travel, but unsure about not having the control off road, but then again, i am sure the auto box would better select than i would  :roll:
1978 Series III 88"

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Auto or Manual
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 14:48:25 »
i would rather have an auto for off road stuff you dont lose contriol you can use the box as a manual but just no clutch to worry about also you dont get as much engine braking with an auto on descents, dont get me wrong i really like auto,s as a day to day car especially in traffic just not mated to a 300tdi
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline BigA

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 15:05:52 »
Quote from: "beast5680"
dint get me wrong i really like auto,s as a day to day car especially in traffic just not mated to a 300tdi

don't forget to take into account that i am changing from a 1988 2.5TD 90, so whats acceleration, i have forgotten  :lol:

seriously, i take your point though.... i think i am going to have to give both auto and manual a drive and see how they go, must admit though, the prices of the autos are also swaying me  :?:
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 15:14:52 »
My Dad has a Disco auto and had a manual one previously and he likes the auto.  It is slow pulling away but cruises at 80mph no bother.  My 90 auto has a lower geared transfer box so is OK off the mark but 70 you are pushing it a bit.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 15:34:23 »
I have driven manuals for years (not lots of 4x4's) and was undecided as you are about the auto for off road, but I have to say I absolutely love it. It is a 98 300TDi, no fancy gimmicks for off roading but I am more than satisifed.

The hill starts are dead easy cos you always have some traction there. I have had several 'smart arse' comments when I have stopped on a hill, selected Diff-Lock and then carried on..... very easily too

The fuel side of things seems fine too, I can get 500 miles to the tank without too much trouble, a little more if I dont use the aircon often (dont know if this is more in my mind or not...) I did only get 450 when I first got it but I think this was down to me needing to adjust to driving an auto again

I have no problems keeping up with other 300TDI manuals.... although just a shade more sluggish from the start. To be honest, the vehicle is NOT a racing machine and if you are moving from a 90 you will think you might need wings on it as I am sure it will seem to fly.

The only thing which was a little worrying at first when I went off roading  was the engine braking when going down hill. The auto will take a second or two to kick in before you begin to have full engine braking.... resist the thought of braking, it WILL kick in and it will control your descent.

Go on....... get one....... you know you want to :D

OHH, and mine has done 109k miles too...... and still going strong :)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline BigA

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 20:12:20 »
nice one robbie, that's the sort of info i was after, and sounds good, and no other discouraging comments either, i must admit the more i think about it, the more i am swaying.

i have seen a couple close by, and will be going and looking at them soon, armed with my list of checks such as rust in the load floor, diff lock not working on autos etc. and info from hear i cant wait  :)

i will still give some manuals a go i think, just to compare for myself.
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Daz800

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 20:18:17 »
manuals for me all the time.

Daz
2001 Td5 Gs7 Dressed in black, got it for the wife.....Honest
I wash the car,she does the dishes.
I fill it up, she drives it.

1987 landrover 90 with a 2.3 petrol (11h)  powerplant..mine all mine...now with duel fuel
cb radio
spot/roof lights
750x16 tyres or 205s
home made light bar
Ep9 superwinch
5kw 240volt inverter

1991 vfr750
1990 gl1500 goldwing

Offline bambamjj

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 20:44:21 »
Im lazy but must admit i prefer the Auto, allows me more brain power to think about what else the Disco is doing, rather than ensuring im using the correct gear/clutch control, but engine breaking was a worry to start with.

Go for it would never change to a manual, works car is Auto and just convinced the wife to get an Auto next time round.

Hope this helps

Jon
P reg 300 tdi Discovery, very slow, sluggish and standard but i am working on it.......

SOLD - Gutted
94 V8 Discovery 200 in Black
2" pro-comp lift
Spots
Diff Guards

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 11:57:15 »
The hybrid is a 300tdi auto disco setup, goes like stink, mind you not so much weight as a disco though

The 200 disco is manual, was sluggish on take off, but a slight adjustment to the pump, as cured that problem, but an auto box in there I think would be too sluggish, lot of weight in the motor, with the length and tools I carry on board
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline GADGETP38

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 16:08:11 »
well, I have had manuals and autos and my 300tdi auto is the best motor by far.
Don't know where the addage " autos are slow/sluggish" comes from 'cus nowt similar can keep up with me to 60 and that includes my mates manual v8 90!   I seem to leave most things at the lights and off road it is simply superb.   you have so much control.   Also in a recent trip in the pyrenees the engine braking down hill was excellent too.
 :D
Range Rover P38 2.5DSE

Offline Richard54

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 17:15:37 »
I have driven off road with a auto box, best thing, plenty of power and control.  Do not forget that just because it is an auto box does not mean that you cannot keep the drive in a lower gear, usually start with the box in 3 and take it from there.

Good luck!

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 17:53:46 »
usually start with the box in 3 and take it from there.

except when your going downhill, or your engine braking will never kick in until you reach 40mph!!!  :shock:  when you're going downhill, start in 1 then see how you go ;)

3 is fine for flat or uphill although I will admit I usually lock it in 2 unless the terrain is very flat
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
Auto or Manual
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 18:17:59 »
Is an auto box really that much better for off roading?
I've only ever driven a manual so i dont know.
Whats it like for hill descents?
I understand it would be better for centain circumstances but is it better all round?
 :)
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 18:28:27 »
Quote from: "Jake"
Is an auto box really that much better for off roading?
I've only ever driven a manual so i dont know.
Whats it like for hill descents?
I understand it would be better for centain circumstances but is it better all round?

In my experience, yes.  It is better all round, and in all conditions.
You need to change your driving style slightly, but that's about all.  Hill descents work OK... as mentioned, you just need to have a bit of nerve going over the top as the engine braking isn't quite as instant.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 23:41:08 »
I agree whole heartedly. Although not driven off road for too many years, I have driven a Suzuki Samurai, Suzuki Jimny, Land Rover 90 and Shogun sport (all manuals) and the Disco Auto.

By far the easiest and most controlable is the Disco.... I wouldnt change it  8)

Offline BigA

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 07:26:29 »
getting some good comment hear, and very positive for the auto. I think from all your helpful advice i am going to go for an auto.

i wont know what has hit me going from the 90, comfort, space and ease of driving, what will i do  :)
1978 Series III 88"

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 07:40:08 »
getting some good comment hear, and very positive for the auto. I think from all your helpful advice i am going to go for an auto.

i wont know what has hit me going from the 90, comfort, space and ease of driving, what will i do  :)

Just think of its running abilities  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Darren
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline BigA

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 07:49:59 »
Quote from: "dazzawhipple"

Darren

Heh, heh, do you mean it may actually run for more than a couple of days :?: but didn't we both have to be rescued yesterday Darren  :?
1978 Series III 88"

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 11:01:46 »
Quote from: "dazzawhipple"

Darren

Heh, heh, do you mean it may actually run for more than a couple of days :?: but didn't we both have to be rescued yesterday Darren  :?

Ouch :oops: http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=16624

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

colintandy

Auto or Manual
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 13:43:53 »
mines an auto fantastic offroad soooo easy on road  :D but there again mine is not slow either on the road and is not light either when all kit in and passengers :D  the only problem i face like many auto boxes is the gear lag :(  but once up in the top she stays put very well unless i boost he he he ...then she takes off ...who said tdi are slow...not mine  :D but then she has a full bore twisted performance tornado exhaust and airflow uprated intercooler and i fiddle alot with the pump and the boost preasures ! be warned take advice befor fiddling ..like all landrovers they have the aerodinamics of a flying shed :D mines a 200tdi auto 3 door not sluggish at all a pleasure and alot of fun to drive even on the road when i have to  :D normally get about 400-450 tank full 80 litre tank at moment im down to about 350 due to riding on bfg muds and a roof rack and my heavy right foot :D

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Auto or Manual
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006, 15:11:30 »
I have recently (november) bought a 300tdi auto and I love it. It is my lazy car.

Yes it does take forever to pull away at junctions but you just learn to wait for a bigger gap. I am thinking about fitting a hiclone to the air intake as that is supposed to make the turbo kick in at lower revs.

I towed a heavy box trailer to and from site last week in the snow and the car park was just sheer sheet ice and when everyone was pushing the transit vans out of the car park I pulled away no problems and without diff lock.

I am not sure how Robbie gets 500 miles out of a tank of diesel. Please enlighten me robbie. If  remeber rightly I got just under 400 miles I think out of the tank but that towing a trailer for about 80-100 miles and leaving the engine running for 40 minutes each morning to warm the engine up before I towed so that would reduce fuel consumption.

I havent actually used up a tank of diesel with doing no towing or off roading just on road driving. Maybe that is why I am getting low miles?

But yes I would recomend an auto any day. Even towing it is a dream and off road you just sit back andenjoy and if you want 1st gear just select 1 and it will get there in the end. I was using the gears like a manual when towing on ice and you could feel the engine breaking for you.

My disco has done about 175,000 miles and ................ nope not going to tempt fate.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal