AuthorTopic: arbs  (Read 8586 times)

PUX

arbs
« on: December 29, 2005, 12:24:38 »
Guys went out yesterday for a play with roger and had a couple of scares  :lol:  :lol:  now im just getting to grips with diffrent suspension set ups and i have been told if i take me arbs off then this will give me more articalation (spelling) is this true and how bad will it be on the road i also already have dislocation cones any help appreciated  :D oh does any one know wot the tilt angle is on the disco i have looked but cant find or im being blind lol cheers

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
  • Referrals: 0
arbs
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:33:27 »
*can of worms, opened, worms everywhere*

I'm watching this thread with interest.
 :lol:
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

PUX

arbs
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 12:35:31 »
Quote from: "Jake"
*can of worms, opened, worms everywhere*

I'm watching this thread with interest.
 :lol:
ops im sorry  :twisted:  :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

PUX

arbs
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 12:36:37 »
sorry also forgot to metion the reason for this idea above is that at this point and time i cant afford to start getting a better suspension set up cheers guys

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:55:26 »
Dislocation cones, and now considering taking the anti roll bars off.

GOOD MAN

Thought Id jump in with my 2 cents worth, Bin the arb's, enjoy the articulation, but beware, the vehicle will feel....different.....on the road, take time to learn how she feels, or fabricate some way of disconnecting/reconnecting them arb's.

Rollazuki :wink:

Ps disregard any information further on in this thread about not needing articulation/suspension/springs etc........... :lol:
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Fingers Mclean

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 14:42:18 »
Ask yourself a Few questions ? Do you drive fast??? Do you enter corners like theres no tomorrow...Or do you have a landrover built to go off roading??? By the looks of the photo you go off roading ..I have taken both mine off and i cant tell any difference. I dont gun it around in my disco because it cant!! its be built to go off road not boy race around the carparks and round-abouts..Its down to personal choice, If you want it to handle well on the road dont lift it (you have)..I have'nt built my Disco for comfort, Its built to go where a standard disco cant go..Over kerbs  :P  :P  :P
CJ-7 5.9 AMC V8 Renegade Jeep (resto)
Freelander 3 door Serengeti 2.5 TD4
VERY Tricked up Jeep Wrangler
1200 Bandit
3 year old Son (Finlay Foo) ;-)

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 17:13:56 »
I have a disco 1, no roll bars fitted.  I think it was only the "chelsea tractor" brigade they were fitted for anyway wernt they ?

(Oh I said chelsea tractor, I can feel the flames already)

Peter
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
arbs
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 17:16:29 »
Peter,

The anti-roll bars were fitted to the 300 series because they realised that putting a 185bhp V8 under the bonnet, mating it to a decent gearbox and forgetting to improve handling might have been seen as a bit of a no no ;-)
--
Neil

Offline thumbs

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 17:17:57 »
personally im going to take mine off once ive warmed up from doing rear brakes in the snow yesterday. i want the articulation off road, dont drive it fast on road or hang it into corners.

i no this is a very questionable subject, but if you dont like it you can alwyas put them back on again, im going to give it a go.

same as pux, cant afford flash suspension - yet - im saveing!
thumbs

v8 landrover hybrid - is mad fun!

Offline robbie

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 17:18:48 »
The anti-roll bars were fitted to the 300 series because they realised that putting a 185bhp V8 under the bonnet, mating it to a decent gearbox and forgetting to improve handling might have been seen as a bit of a no no

did they only sell the V8 in Chelsea then?? ;)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
arbs
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 17:21:05 »
lol!

Nah, but as usual the premier vehicle in the line up got all the toys ... and then I suppose they thought that the tractor version might like some handling too ;-)
--
Neil

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 17:29:34 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
Peter,

The anti-roll bars were fitted to the 300 series because they realised that putting a 185bhp V8 under the bonnet, mating it to a decent gearbox and forgetting to improve handling might have been seen as a bit of a no no ;-)

I stand corrected, but it would have been nice to have been flamed  :twisted:
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 18:06:20 »
If you build an 'offroader' then you arent wanting ultimate handling...or you owuldnt dream od fitting mt's.
So the only arb's you want are lockers.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

PUX

arbs
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 18:22:46 »
well guys i drive like miss daisy any how  :lol:  :lol:  i do go off road alot and big style but it belive it or not is my everyday truck so im going to take em off for now then and see how i get on but thats after i have played in the snow yepee but any other advice is appreciated cheers guys  :D

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 18:23:32 »
My 1993 200tdi hasn't got ARBs and it never has had them.
Maybe the diseasel didn't warrant ARB...
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 18:25:40 »
Ed ;-)

Quote from: "Thrasher"
The anti-roll bars were fitted to the 300 series
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MuddyMachine

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 18:25:42 »
My 93 V8 has them, but after reading this tread it wont have for long.
Somthing to do tomorrow me thinks :D
Baz
300Tdi Modded 90
H&B Response Call Sign HR039

http://muddymachine.googlepages.com/home

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 18:28:13 »
Official Government Warning :

Removing your anti-roll bars may or may not have any effect whatsoever on your vehicle's off-road performance

It will almost certainly make the vehicle roll more when driving along the road !

Take 'em off if you like, but don't expect miracles !
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

PUX

arbs
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 18:32:11 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Official Government Warning :

Removing your anti-roll bars may or may not have any effect whatsoever on your vehicle's off-road performance

It will almost certainly make the vehicle roll more when driving along the road !

Take 'em off if you like, but don't expect miracles !
well tim got to try these things  :twisted:

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 19:26:16 »
Anti roll bars, not! But like Tim says doesnt handle like a sports car.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 20:01:38 »
Well after reading the first couple of posts I've been racking my brains as to how removing locking diffs would improve articulation  :oops:

Now I've read the whole thread I'll go bang mi' head on a brick wall followed by a lie down  :roll:

Dave  :D   :D   :D
WIP ........ just Keeps Changing .......

SW

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 20:04:05 »
Quote from: "Skywalker"
Well after reading the first couple of posts I've been racking my brains as to how removing locking diffs would improve articulation  :oops:

Now I've read the whole thread I'll go bang mi' head on a brick wall followed by a lie down  :roll:

Dave  :D   :D   :D

Yes, me anall, i am rather slow on the uptake at the mo tho.  Too much Xmas cheer.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 20:09:38 »
Quote from: "jim-willy"

Yes, me anall, i am rather slow on the uptake at the mo tho.  Too much Xmas cheer.

Thank God it's not just me then ........  true JW the Xmas cheer might have had a "slight effect"

Dave
WIP ........ just Keeps Changing .......

SW

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
arbs
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 02:46:16 »
To add my two penneth, the RTI for a standard RRC is virtually the same with or without ARBs.  Some MOT stations will not issue a pass if they have been removed.  It counts as a modification that you must tell your insurance company about as it affects the handling.  When you buy your lift kit, tell them you are removing the ARBs as some kits have stiffer dampers for older (non-ARB) cars.
Don't expect miracles.  The cars in some of the above photo's have lots of expensive mods to allow extreme articulation.

I have 2 ARBs on the back, I like to be able to keep up with traffic, I have 2 big dogs, a b****y big trailer/caravan and an LPG tank.  I like the way it handles and I'm happy with it off-highway.  Put it this way, I never get stuck due to lack of articulation.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 08:51:42 »
RRb, i know what you are saying and yes there has beena  few quid spent on my disco....the zuki is another story altogether. There are a few places i know of where you would be stuck with a 2 wheels waggling in the air, without lockers you would be going nowhere.
Driving skill is often the solution to most problems and with forethought and planning you dont need lots of travel often obsticles can be avoided.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 09:10:29 »
Dude , the RTI for a landy is the same with/without an arb cos as standard it has very little articulation, however, free some more articulation up with longer shocks and lift kits etc and the arb needs to come off......

Just as an interesting side thread, Its all OK to say its illegal/unMOTable/uninsurable etc if you remove the arb's, but assuming you buy a 2nd hand disco(thats already had em removed) how would you ever know, how would the insurance ever find out(assesors that come to my place of work wouldnt know an arb from an octopus).

Theres a lot of used cars driving around with bits missing, non genuine parts fitted, botched repairs, in my mind, a car owned by an enthusiast, driven with care, with known modifications fitted is a lot safer than many used cars I see(especially taxis....dont get me going)
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

PUX

arbs
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2005, 10:31:16 »
Guys thanks for all ur help im going to take me anti roll bars off to give it a go as i have said mine is a  very modded disco for off road yes it does get used on road every day but me being me i drive like miss daisy anyhow  :lol:  :lol:  i have done certain driving courses through my job where i can safely say i can handle most cars at speed or slowness, anyhow like i said i have a 3'lift extended brake lines and dis cones and with out wacking some more money at it this has to be a good route for seeing wot i can get some, times u just have to try for ya self :wink:  :wink:  :D

Offline MuddyMachine

Attack Member
arbs
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2005, 12:09:31 »
Pux,

with your 3'lift extended brake lines and dis cones Have you changed your Props, Radius arms or trailing arms :?:
Baz
300Tdi Modded 90
H&B Response Call Sign HR039

http://muddymachine.googlepages.com/home

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
arbs
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2005, 12:59:00 »
When I put the caster correction radius arms on the the front of mine I had to remove the front ARB cos' it was touching the propshaft on level ground. The rear I took off at the same time as the balljoints needed replacing and, with a 3" lift, the ARB needed spacing.

I did notice a little more roll when cornering but that was sorted when I fitted the twin rear shocks.  :wink:

Like RRB says, the suspension on my Disco is greatly uprated from the standard setup with +3" H/D springs and 6 ProComp ES9000 gas shocks. My insurance has a FULL list of all the mods to the vehicle, including photos & video of them all.  :D (Well, they asked "a photo" to show all the mods and I couldn't fit all my mods into one photo could I!!  :wink: )

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
arbs
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2005, 14:35:11 »
Quote from: "rollazuki"

Just as an interesting side thread, Its all OK to say its illegal/unMOTable/uninsurable etc if you remove the arb's, but assuming you buy a 2nd hand disco(thats already had em removed) how would you ever know, how would the insurance ever find out(assesors that come to my place of work wouldnt know an arb from an octopus).

Ignorance is, I'm afraid, no defence.  As for insurance assesors, read "loss adjusters", glorified accountants most of them.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal