AuthorTopic: Wiring in a winch  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Doodlebug

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wiring in a winch
« on: December 28, 2005, 21:21:10 »
Just bolted in a T-Max EW12500 into the Disco & fitting a 2nd battery & split charge tomorrow.

Is it best to wire straight to the battery with a cut out switch on or does a fuse need to be incorporated. If so, what amp fuse is needed.

Any advice welcome.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 21:23:33 »
Use an isolator switch for sure.. nice and close to the battery preferably, you don't need a fuse (mostly since it would need to be around 400 amps :shock: )

Personally I'd forget about the split charge unit too, but you'll get mixed opinions about that  ;-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 23:40:43 »
I agree with Tim, i wouldnt bother with a split clarge system. Simply connect the 2 batteries together + to +  - to - .
Definately isolate the winch with a cut out switch, you would need a 450 amp fuse so not a good idea as i would hate to hear one of those letting go!!
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 00:22:10 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Use an isolator switch for sure.. nice and close to the battery preferably, you don't need a fuse (mostly since it would need to be around 400 amps :shock: )

Personally I'd forget about the split charge unit too, but you'll get mixed opinions about that  ;-)

dont question this just do it

its paramount to the longevity of the winch,your safety,and possibly the warranty.

as well as the difference between working or not when u need it

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline Doodlebug

Attack Member
Winch Wiring
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 09:53:59 »
Cheers Guys, the info's been a great help.

Offline yer auld aunt nelly

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 22:38:16 »
could i just jump in lads.Would you explain the battery side by side thing a bit more.As Ive just got of a whinch meself i think  :lol:
yer better not naff this up an come back to these shores or god help me yer auld aunt nelly will jump out of her grave an like as not kick yer teeth in......

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 23:23:35 »
Im guessing you want to use the existing battery holder on the other side? All you need ot do is connect the 2 batteries + to + and neg to neg. You need 0 guage wire . I joined my negs at the winch. That way i know the winch always has a very good earth. Each battery is also earthed. Simply wire winch to 1 of the batteries via a cut off switch(+ve) and bobs your uncle.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 09:00:17 »
wiring them that way does mean that they both run down , potentially leaving you without a back up.

mine are split charge wired with everything running off the main battery and the second is there just in case.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 09:06:51 »
Yes it does mean that they are both used when winching...if you are worried about that fit a second isolater between the batteries....I have been in the situation where i was winching solidly for about an hour and a half with NO problems. I hope you are never in that predicament.
On the plus side no silly split charge thingy to break, no wondering if the second battery is charging properly,etc. The main benefit is that the voltage stays higher longer when winching. This protects your winch (expensive part of equation) as with 1 battery the voltage can drop quite quickly- this means that ampage increases . Its amps that cause damage to your winch motor. It also rapidly increases as the higher ampage drain further lowers the voltage your battery can supply.
I would use a split charge system if i was going on an overland trip where i was using my second battery for anciliries but not for winching.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline Doodlebug

Attack Member
Wirning in a winch
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 09:16:00 »
Just out of curiosity, do both batteries have to be the same yeid etc as both my batteries are different.

I think the main battery fitted is 98 amp/hr whilst the leisure battery is 87 amp/hr.

Does this make any difference as I'm wiring the battery in this morning & may change my plans!!!

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 09:19:29 »
That is a long running debate, but no it shouldnt according to the last thread. They will find their own level.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline Doodlebug

Attack Member
Wiring battery
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 12:16:12 »
Takin your advice bulli, you say earth the battery being thick, i assume wire as follows:

Main batt wired as existing, take pos & neg off main batt to 2nd batt & also earth 2nd batt to chassis. Wire winch to 2nd batt with cut off on positive.

Does wiring this way cause any probs to existing electrics?

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 12:42:09 »
none other than you have more power, you will prob find starter spins quicker, if you run additional lights these tend to be brighter., pos to pos neg to neg on the batts. I have directly connected both negs as well as positives, at the winch. Then earthed the second batt to the chassis to be extra safe.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline Doodlebug

Attack Member
Winch Wiring
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 20:31:20 »
Cheers Bully,

Wiring all finishes yesterday, winch in & working fine, lights do seem brighter & the starter is a lot crisper on turnover. If anything the 300 Tdi lump seems to start easier as a result.

Thanks for all your help mate!

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Wiring in a winch
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 21:19:39 »
Glad it all went well. All you have to remember is black to black,red to red, blew to bits!
EFILNIKCUFECIN

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal