AuthorTopic: Colway AT or MT??  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Bob

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Colway AT or MT??
« on: April 07, 2004, 19:52:20 »
OK.  So now I've got a spare set of rims  :D  but I can't decide what to put on them  :?

The spare set will be used for laning and very occasional off-roading and I would appreciate your advice.  I'm thinking Colway MT's at the moment from Tyres Direct.

Size will be std 235/70R16 and budget is limited to as little as possible.

Thanks.
Bob
1994 300Tdi
DOC Member
Elddis Caravan Owners Club Member
www.elddisowners.co.uk

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 20:09:36 »
Bob,

If it is for pay and play days go for MT's

If it's just laning and road use AT's

I currently have BFG AT's fitted and I'm realy happy
with how they are, Not to much noise on road, good
on the lanes.. :wink:
Paul Wright

Offline Benji

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 21:54:37 »
You mentioned that they will be your spare set of rims.  Assuming you have got road tyres on your normal rims then, to me, it would make sense to go for muds on your spare set.

If you are intending to use the spare rims purely for off roading then there seems little point in going for A/T's, unless you never intend on playing in the rainy season!

If your going to the expense and hassle of 2 sets, it's probably best to go for tyres that will let you down the least!

The other option if you only play in 'semi sticky stuff' is to have one (decent) set of A/T's that will be good enough for everything you intend on doing and save on changing wheels each time you go laning or to sites.

A friend had 2 sets for his Sportrak and used to changed them every other weekend when we went to fun days. It lasted for about 2 months, then he got so fed up with swoping them he left the off road set on.  And they are much lighter and easier to change than disco wheels!!!

Hope my gabble helps

(lets all pray that Easter will be warm and sunny)

Ben
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
Ifor Williams box trailer (my office),
Yellow labrador with permanant 4 paw drive!
www.messypups.com

Offline Benji

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 21:57:20 »
Forgot to say....don't forget to add the £40 or £50 to have the tyres fitted to the spare rims in your budget!
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
Ifor Williams box trailer (my office),
Yellow labrador with permanant 4 paw drive!
www.messypups.com

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 22:17:24 »
I quite fancy a set of Colway MT's. Seen them on a few Disco's now and all the owners are pleased with the results.

Or I'd much prefer a set of Goodyear MTR's but the price puts me off  :(

Where is the cheapest place to buy a set from, just tyres (Goodyears)  :?:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 23:25:37 »
I've got the Colway A/T's. I'm happy with them.
They've only let me down traction-wise once, that was in a saturated padock with the caravan hitched up.

But the paddock owner & myself both agreed that a Unimog, or a JCB Fast-Trac would have had problems in there.

It's surprising how far standard tyres can get you. Don't forget LR demonstrate most of their vehicles on standard tyres - even on the 'Jungle Track'
I had the original Avon Rangemastes on my 110Tdi for almost 30,000miles before replacing them (with Bronco M/T's)
They only let me down on clay based soil, or if I did something really stupid
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline MZ6666

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 00:45:10 »
IF FOR SINGLE PURPOSE OFFROADING/LANING  AND COST IS AN ISSUE,
CONSIDER 205/16's. THESE ARE ALWAYS CHEAP AND BECAUSE THEY'RE SLIGHTLY NARROWER, THEY CUT THROUGH MUD BETTER THAN WIDER TYRES.
ALSO AVOID MAIN TYRE DEPOTS AND TRY TO FIND BACK STREET PART- WORN TYRE DEALERS AS THEY WILL FIT AND BALANCE FOR ALOT LESS MONEY. I PAY £6 PER TYRE INCUDING BALANCE AND A NEW VALVE.

RICH     :D

P.S. DON'T WORRY ABOUT 205/16's, IT WAS STANDARD SIZE ON LOWER SPEC DISCO'S.
'DONK' =1993 200 Tdi BEAST- 2"ish BRITPART/PRO-COMP LIFT,MODULARS/BFG MUDS ,K&N FILTER,HUGE INTERCOOLER,SNORKEL/+BREATHERS,MILEMAKER HYDRAULIC WINCH ON A DISCOPARTS BUMPER,STEERING/TANK/DIFF GUARDS,MIDLAND 98 CB,FRONT/REAR ENDS a'lA MAD MAX
'BURBLE' - 1995 DISCOVERY 3.9 V8 ES LPG
3" PRO COMP, 265/75's BF GOODRICH,TDS GOLDFISH WINCH,WINCH BUMPER, TANK/ DIFF  GUARDS, FLEXI ARCHES,CHERRY BOMB!! more to come !!   
'BERTA' - 1995 DISCO 300tdi ES - standard, My Wife's
'VRUM' - SUZUKI 1200 BANDIT -modded ;-)

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 10:08:02 »
I have Goodyear AT on my alloys  for on road use and Technic Amazons on my steel wheels for off road use.

I soon got bored of swapping the wheels and tyres around. The Technic Amazons are excellent off road and are really Broncos at least they are identical. On road they are safe enough with hardly any roll. they have strengthened sidewalls. So the On road ATs have ended up stored in the garage.

Whilst I realise MZ is suggesting their use for off road.

If you want to, or think you may, end up using the MT tyes on road. Colway 205 16 seem to be very iffy on road with a Disco.

Sooty fitted them to his Disco. It was like driving an old Commer Campervan.

Thinking.... (for a change) Sooty had also got a winch bumper and winch so it could have been the extra weight.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 11:03:06 »
Quote from: "Wanderer"

If you want to, or think you may, end up using the MT tyes on road. Colway 205 16 seem to be very iffy on road with a Disco.

Sooty fitted them to his Disco. It was like driving an old Commer Campervan.

Ed

There's a chap half-a-dozen doors away who has a set of the Colway M/T's (205) on his 'Q' plated V8 manual Discovery (200 shape)
He uses the vehicle most days, but he does a lot of shooting, so I guess it gets used to reach the actual shoot site.
They seem to have worn fairly quickly though.
It's also a gun-dog (Labrador) transporter, and as such normally shows the after effects inside it.
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 16:11:24 »
On the Suzie, the tyres are 'Camac'. Dont know much about price etc but they have worked really well and has taken it to places I would not have thought possible.

I think they come from Portugal. It might be another option to look at.

One guy at Briercliffe said he did have a set on his 90 and they worked great for him too.

I guess the tyres are not all of it when it comes to off roading anyway, it is down alot to the driver and desicions made on what conditions to put the vehicle under. :)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline Bob

Attack Member
Colway AT or MT??
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 19:13:29 »
Hmm.

I did initially intend just to go for a good set of AT's but 5 road tyres came up just at the wrong time at a price I couldn't let go so the AT plan bit the dust.  They are now fitted on the Disco, properly tracked and balanced in the hope of not scrubbing them out too quickly - again  :oops:

I don't go out to play frequently so the hassle of changing wheels won't be too much of a problem (he says now  :lol: )

As for cheapest place to get Colway MT's - Tyres Direct have them for £39.07 (inc VAT) each.  www.tyresdirect.uk.com/4x4colway.asp

Thanks for your replies.
Bob
1994 300Tdi
DOC Member
Elddis Caravan Owners Club Member
www.elddisowners.co.uk

duncanl

tyres
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 21:59:23 »
I have a Discovery and have a second set of wheels and had the same dilema. Rang Bronco and they suggested that I tried Rough Riders, which are basically MTs with reinforced walls. So I went for 235/80/16s. The Disco will now go virtually anywhere and the tyres are fine on road even at speed, although if left on through the summer they do tend to wear a bit quicker because they are a slightly softer compound. Think we paid about £38 per tyre, which wasn't bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal