AuthorTopic: Electrics again :(  (Read 5678 times)

Offline turtle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Electrics again :(
« on: April 07, 2004, 09:36:18 »
Yet another problem with the electrics. Firstly the background - while driving down a country lane at night I flicked the lights to full beam and noticed that the radio turned off, I have a JVC setup and the word GOODBYE appeared on the LCD readout, as soon as the E had dissapeared HELLO read out and the music on the radio started once again. Strange I thought and at this time didn't think anymore of it until I turn high beam off and the same thing happen again. When I got back home on the drive I tried every light and check all was working, and everything was, but when you flicked to full beam or flashed the headlights the radio would shut down and come back on.

On checking the Haynes manual, full beam, radio, horn and interior lights are all on the same circuit, So I started checking all the wiring for bad connections etc, everything I could find was cleaned and re-connected. All fine, horn works, full beam work (without cutting out the radio) flash headlights working (without cutting out the radio) interior lights work and the radio worked.

Problem sorted I hear you cry............. short lived I affraid. Last night I collected my daughter from work, and while waiting outside her works I listened to the radio, when she open the passenger door to get in the interior light turn on and the radio turn off..... NOT AGAIN.... when the door shut and the light went off the radio came back on.

I then tried the full beam and flash of headlights and again the radio cuts off and back on, and the horn is very faint.

So the question is - any ideas??????

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 12:15:15 »
Hi Phil,

Have you checked the actual connections on the fuse? Is it possible that there's a dry joint on the soldering somewhere in the fusebox?
With a multi meter set it to Ohms and check the resistance from a point before the fuse and after (with the battery disconnected) Then check another section of another known good fuse on a different circuit to see if there's a problem. It might help to track it down.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Mace

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 13:06:10 »
So Phil does the toilet flush when the phone rings too ?  :oops:

Sorry mate, I know it's giving you grief but you're such a good advert for "101 reasons not to buy a defender"  :D
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline turtle

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 15:36:34 »
Cheers Ed I haven't tried that, will give it a bash and let you know.

Thanks

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 15:37:55 »
Quote from: "Mace"
Sorry mate, I know it's giving you grief but you're such a good advert for "101 reasons not to buy a defender"  :D

I disagree :P , these type of problems can happen on any car of this age! Especially one that has been modified, such as Turtle.

Phil, have you taken any spurs off this circuit?

Ollie
sex is the breakfast of champions

Offline turtle

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 15:39:08 »
Quote from: "Mace"
So Phil does the toilet flush when the phone rings too ?  :oops:

You got it, and the kettle swiches on when the door bell is rings etc etc

only 101 reasons not to buy a defender, it aint that bad not yet, is it?

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 22:16:22 »
Hi Phil,
I've just heard about the same problem on a Discovery.
It was traced back to a problem with the fusible links. On a Disco they are on the O/S inner wing and are protected by a heatproof gauze (spooling) The fusible links may be corroded and causing high resistance and giving up when extra current is drawn.
They can be cleaned up or replaced if they are too bad.

HTH

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline karloss

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 22:51:35 »
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline turtle

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 09:07:50 »
Quote from: "Wanderer"
Hi Phil,
I've just heard about the same problem on a Discovery.
It was traced back to a problem with the fusible links. On a Disco they are on the O/S inner wing and are protected by a heatproof gauze (spooling) The fusible links may be corroded and causing high resistance and giving up when extra current is drawn.
They can be cleaned up or replaced if they are too bad.

HTH

Ed

Ed, Cheers for that, I keep searching not found anything yet  :(

Offline turtle

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 15:19:25 »
Found the root cause of the problems, well I didn't a very nice man at the Auto Electrians did  :D

A faulty horn unit, when disconnected all problems went away.

I'm glad thats sorted it was driving me potty  :D

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 16:00:34 »
That's strange Phil.

Did he give any reason or theory for it happening?

I'd be concerned it was a coincidence as I can't see where the horn should effect other stuff. After all you weren't operating the horn.
Was the door being opened operating an alarm which would then make the horn try to work?

I can understand the horn taking excess current when operated. But not when it' not being operated. Unless the earth for the horn has a common earth which also goes to the radio. If the horn had a dead short then it might cause a problem on the same circuit.

Curiouser and curiouser  :shock:

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline turtle

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 09:21:28 »
Ed - No reason as such (or at least none that I can remember), I took the car down yesterday lunchtime, and various connectors were checked wires etc, radio was taken out, and a multimeter was placed in various locations, he seemed to know what he was doing. (and even better I wasn't charged for his troubles)

Once the horn was disconnected all other symptoms dissappeared. I could open the doors and the radio would stay on, flash the lights and the radio stays on, all seems to be well. (last night I drove around checking the lights whenever I could - if anyone saw me out last night them must have tought I was mad  :P ) No other faults could be found (i.e lose connectors/ faulty wire)

The test will be when I replaced the horn unit (Cheers Neil). Which won't be until after the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal