AuthorTopic: Steering protection  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Sharpshooter

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steering protection
« on: April 06, 2004, 16:19:26 »
Hi, where is the best place to get a reasonably priced steering guard. Best if Galvanised, and not bothered about it being steel. For a 110. :D  :D

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Steering protection
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 08:09:36 »
Servicetune/rebel 4x4 do some good ones.

http://www.servicetune.co.uk/

Offline Kenny

Attack Member
Steering protection
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 08:50:03 »
I would'nt bother with the Rebel steel steering guard for the 90 as it only tends to protect the damper and front of the steering.

My track rod keeps getting bent and from what I can see this is what should be protected. Someone I know got a guard that went right underneath from eBay at a bargin price. Failing that the QT diff guard seems to protect the Track Rod.

Reminds me better repalce my track rod at some time, once I've done this stupid suspension.

Damian
Animal, ex BT Land Rover ninety
http://www.my90.co.uk

Too many bits too list..........

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Steering protection
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 23:07:40 »
When you say track rod. Is that the one that runs behind the diff or in front of it? Only I'm having some bother with the terminology for all the bits wot make t'old lass go round corners! :lol: If anyone would like to post a comprehensive list I for one would be eternally grateful. :?  :?
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Steering protection
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 10:34:52 »
The track rod runs across the vehicle behind the axle, the drag link and damper in front of it.

The steering guards from the likes of Servicetune will protect the drag link and damper, and will also have the effect of acting as a skid for the front of the vehicle, helping to avoid getting snagged up.  I would say they are a wothwhile addition.

The track rod is very vulnerable on the coil-sprung vehicles, and does have a tendency to get hooked up on things too.   There are a number of various protection systems for this :

1) Anti-Bend Protection :  These consist of a piece of metal (normally attached to the diff or part of a diff protector) which sits behind the track rod.  It won't stop it from being damaged, but will stop it from bending too far and completely messing up your traction.  There is a genuine Land Rover part which works like this.

2) Complete Protection : Companies (like Southdown for example) make a guard which is essentially a large piece of box steel that is bolted onto the axle.  The track rod is passed through the centre of this and is hence very well protected.

3) Adding Strength : The track rod is replaced with a much stronger item, or has a strengthening sleeve slid over the top.  This has the effect of making it much harder to damage the track rod.

On my 90, I went for option 3.  Since in my view it is better to have a strong track rod which won't bend in the first place.   I have seen on many occasions track rod damage caused by forces acting on the wheels and not directly on the track rod.  (for example wheels in ruts, etc)

Hope this helps.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mostie

Steering protection
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 13:28:41 »
I've been through a couple of track rods as has a friend of mine due to inadequate protection. My friend had the thing that bolds onto the diff to stop the track rod bending too much...this just bent with the trackrod and made it a pain in the a*s to get off.

And I had a protective sleeve (piece of box section) over mine which I also managed to bend. Neither of us were going too hard at things when this happened, just must have got a good contact with something harder than the rods!

The local 4x4 shop had an impressive looking reinforced rod: 40mm diameter solid stainless steel track rod- it would be the last part of the steering to ever bend!! but did cost about 100 beans +vat.

When I get my next landy I will try to get a steering gaurd that goes right under all of the steering components as it gave me a real head ache taking it all apart!

Offline Kenny

Attack Member
Steering protection
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 16:22:32 »
What a superior piece of engineering, the track rod. Shame that it does not run above the diff. I'm sure that there must be a sane reason why.

I am now of the opinion that my reckless driving caused all my rods to bend and am in future going to stop, look and think before going forward and avoid those damn tree stumps.

Damian
Animal, ex BT Land Rover ninety
http://www.my90.co.uk

Too many bits too list..........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal